Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on February 03, 2009, 03:31:46 pm

Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: dwood on February 03, 2009, 03:31:46 pm
The Portland Head Light, off of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, is one of the most photographed light houses in Maine...perhaps the country. As everyone and their mother shoots this, I've always refrained from doing one myself. I was on my way to another location early one morning last week and could see that the sunrise was going to be pretty nice. I happened to be nearby and on a whim, decided to break my "don't shoot the Head Light" rule. Turns out, it wasn't a horrible decision

(http://dswood.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p138734799-5.jpg)
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: Richowens on February 03, 2009, 04:12:04 pm
Doug,

 I would say a very good decision.

Rich
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: John R on February 03, 2009, 10:36:27 pm
Like the lighthouse, red dull roof and snow set against the grey sky and sea as the light opens up. Very nice.

JMR
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: dwood on February 03, 2009, 11:26:34 pm
Thanks guys.
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: Colorwave on February 03, 2009, 11:53:42 pm
Subtle, elegant and very sweet shot.
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: wolfnowl on February 04, 2009, 12:27:17 am
Nicely done!

Mike.
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: babel on February 11, 2009, 03:27:42 pm


I do the same , avoid those oft' visited spots but I bet there is not another like yours

A fresh eye can make all the difference

Not having seen this place ,I  live just a wee bit far away..., you've made a great image
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: dwood on February 11, 2009, 04:31:00 pm
Thanks again for the nice comments folks. I appreciate it.
Title: Portland Head Light
Post by: Chairman Bill on February 11, 2009, 05:05:08 pm
I'd guarantee that 99.999% of other peoples' photos of this lighthouse are taken when the light is nothing special - most folk just don't get up early enough. A very nice shot.