Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Greg Whitaker on February 01, 2009, 11:07:46 am

Title: Epson 2400 vs 2200
Post by: Greg Whitaker on February 01, 2009, 11:07:46 am
Hi Folks,
I've got an Espon 2200 that I've been using for several years, and I wonder if print quality (mostly printing on non-glossy stock) will improve if I upgrade to the R2400?
Thanks for your time and opinions!
Title: Epson 2400 vs 2200
Post by: Bartone on February 01, 2009, 02:09:49 pm
Quote from: Greg Whitaker
Hi Folks,
I've got an Espon 2200 that I've been using for several years, and I wonder if print quality (mostly printing on non-glossy stock) will improve if I upgrade to the R2400?
Thanks for your time and opinions!
I did exactly that. The 2400 isn't as robust in the transport as the 2200, and I can't print on thick paper with it. There's ONE roller/grabber instead of two on the 2200, and frankly it sucks. Major problems with the 2400, and I doubt I've put thirty sheets of 13x19 through it so far (been repaired once - but it's out of warranty). You might want to save for a larger format printer that'll be less expensive in the end.

As for color difference - I can't really see anything worth changing up for.

bartone
Title: Epson 2400 vs 2200
Post by: Geoff Wittig on February 01, 2009, 04:57:38 pm
Quote from: Greg Whitaker
Hi Folks,
I've got an Espon 2200 that I've been using for several years, and I wonder if print quality (mostly printing on non-glossy stock) will improve if I upgrade to the R2400?
Thanks for your time and opinions!

The Epson 2400 has a much better d-max on glossy/luster papers than the previous generation 2200, and less metamerism for black & white prints due to the extra grey ink. But it's not any better on matte/cotton rag papers; I believe the matte black ink actually didn't change between the original Ultrachrome and the K3 families.
Title: Epson 2400 vs 2200
Post by: Raw shooter on February 01, 2009, 06:10:41 pm
I have both, never any problems with either - except lots more ink blockage with the 2200.
The R2400 has been a virtually perfect printer.  Great for smaller papers, great on 13 x 19 boardless.  Never any problems.
Both are getting old as the inksets are both outdated. R2400 is still a killer for Black and white while the 2200 is just a rarely used backup.