Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: vgogolak on January 27, 2009, 10:19:49 pm

Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: vgogolak on January 27, 2009, 10:19:49 pm
So, a call from Dave the Karen at CI and a P65+ (Contax 645 mount) is on its way!

Actually, I am almost more interested in the high ISO 15MP performance than the 60MP

I will be seeing how the Schneider/Alpa and contax lenses hold up.

Now, if I could just get more than three shots per card....

Victor
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: bradleygibson on January 28, 2009, 01:18:46 am
Congratulations!

Please post some 100% crops after your new baby arrives!  I think there are many who would like to see the high ISO performance as well.

Best regards,
Brad

Quote from: vgogolak
So, a call from Dave the Karen at CI and a P65+ (Contax 645 mount) is on its way!

Actually, I am almost more interested in the high ISO 15MP performance than the 60MP

I will be seeing how the Schneider/Alpa and contax lenses hold up.

Now, if I could just get more than three shots per card....

Victor
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: michele on January 28, 2009, 03:20:52 am
Ehi good for you!!!
My best
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: michael on January 28, 2009, 07:37:11 am
I shot with a production P65+ in Antarctica and the results were remarkable. A real step up in almost every way from the P45+. I'll have my report online within a couple of weeks.

I did a 13 frame pano stitch with the P65+ and printed it yesterday. 8 feet wide at 360ppi. It'll be hanging at my gallery as of this afternoon. Something to see. I'll have an article on the making of it soon as well.

Michael
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: vgogolak on January 28, 2009, 07:40:37 am
I ordered months ago, almost 'automatically'. I am not convinced this is a smart move, but signed the contract, and it came so I will live with it.

Three concerns:
1. Is the Dalsa chip going to give a 'look' I don't like (after the kodak back, P25, P45 and P45+)?
2. Are the files just too damn big?
3.Will the glass (Contax 645) hold up?

As a serious amateur who rarely prints over 8x12 (but I do have 4 30" 2560x1600 for a really BIG screen  :-) I found the ISO performance of P45+ wanting, and the 15MP mode here could be a good ploy.

If the glass holds up the extra MP are a real telephoto extender. AND I assume as always Phase tweaked the electronics etc for some imageimprovement (lower color cast I understand.

The two 'commercial' jobs Ive done, calendar and travel did just fine on the older backs, and I still like the film-like look of the original Kodak back. I think the Dalsa chip goes that direction.

I will try to post for those curious, but I really look for the pro's comments.
It's done, so I will make the best of it; who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised (right now a little sceptical of the swap.)

regards
Victor
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: vgogolak on January 28, 2009, 07:44:40 am
Quote from: michael
I shot with a production P65+ in Antarctica and the results were remarkable. A real step up in almost every way from the P45+. I'll have my report online within a couple of weeks.

I did a 13 frame pano stitch with the P65+ and printed it yesterday. 8 feet wide at 360ppi. It'll be handing at my gallery as of this afternoon. Something to see. I'll have an article on the making of it soon as well.

Michael


Dear Michael

Good to hear, and as always I am interested in your comments. In extensive european indoor (no flash, please) shots, I hope the high ISO mode can gain me 1 or 2 stops.

regards
Victor

PS: You obviously NOT a trikaidekaphobe!  :-)

For the numerologists, remember 65=5 time 13, so maybe 13 is luck with this back.
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: Ed Jack on January 28, 2009, 09:42:04 am
Quote from: vgogolak
I ordered months ago, almost 'automatically'. I am not convinced this is a smart move, but signed the contract, and it came so I will live with it.

Three concerns:
1. Is the Dalsa chip going to give a 'look' I don't like (after the kodak back, P25, P45 and P45+)?
2. Are the files just too damn big?
3.Will the glass (Contax 645) hold up?

As a serious amateur who rarely prints over 8x12 (but I do have 4 30" 2560x1600 for a really BIG screen  :-) I found the ISO performance of P45+ wanting, and the 15MP mode here could be a good ploy.

If the glass holds up the extra MP are a real telephoto extender. AND I assume as always Phase tweaked the electronics etc for some imageimprovement (lower color cast I understand.

The two 'commercial' jobs Ive done, calendar and travel did just fine on the older backs, and I still like the film-like look of the original Kodak back. I think the Dalsa chip goes that direction.

I will try to post for those curious, but I really look for the pro's comments.
It's done, so I will make the best of it; who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised (right now a little sceptical of the swap.)

regards
Victor

 Wow, that sound's like a real bind having the impending P65+ and worryign about if it is "good enough".
What I would say is that new backs are good as the used market expands with people off-laoding thier used backs or upgrade unit predecessors.
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: Carsten W on January 28, 2009, 09:59:02 am
Victor, if you are most interested in the P65+ for its high ISO 15MP results, I wonder how they will compare to a 5D2/1Ds3/D3x/A900 image scaled down to 15MP? The usual caveats presumably apply, but scaled down that much, some issues may just go away.
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: eleanorbrown on January 28, 2009, 10:32:43 am
Michael I was shooting in Antarctica about the same time LL was down there and shot the entire time with my P45+ from moving ship, kayak, and bouncing zodiac (and on land handheld) and found myself needing better very low noise high iso performance.  How did the 65+ compare to your 45+ iso wise?  Did you notice any difference?  Looking forward to seeing more  of your photos from that wonderful place. Eleanor

Quote from: michael
I shot with a production P65+ in Antarctica and the results were remarkable. A real step up in almost every way from the P45+. I'll have my report online within a couple of weeks.

I did a 13 frame pano stitch with the P65+ and printed it yesterday. 8 feet wide at 360ppi. It'll be handing at my gallery as of this afternoon. Something to see. I'll have an article on the making of it soon as well.

Michael
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: michael on January 28, 2009, 12:31:30 pm
Eleanor,

Hope that your trip was a good one.

My casual observation is that ISO 50, 100 and 200 are hardly distinguishable on the P65+. 400 is acceptable. 800 is noisier than I think most MFB users would care for in critical applications. The back I had did not yet feature Sensor Plus technology.

As for what someone else asked about the "look" of the Dalsa chip vs the Kodak, the consensus of everyone that I've spoken with thus far that's shot with the P65+ is that it's "different", though it's hard to put ones finger on exactly what it is. There seems to be a subtlety to the colour and tonalities of its images that is smoother and less "digital" than with the P45+ which I am used to.

This isn't a smack-you-in-the-face difference, but it's there for those with an eye for it.

Michael

Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: vgogolak on January 30, 2009, 08:27:32 pm
Here is a P45+ to P65+ comparison that some might find of interest. I have also made raw files available for download. Have fun.

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...KbWc0b0JMWEE9PQ (https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=bVlBc2ZKbWc0b0JMWEE9PQ)

If you want to see full size jpgs, go to

http://pix4.vicgogolak.com (http://pix4.vicgogolak.com)



ignore some out takes of a wales shoot!  :-)

Victor
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: RobertJ on January 30, 2009, 10:58:19 pm
The RAW files show the P65 focused on the telephone pole, while the P45 is focused on the distant houses.  Not very fair.

Either way, the areas with detail in both files look pretty good.
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: vgogolak on January 31, 2009, 10:46:23 am
oops
soory I took a sequence and must have reversed

BTW, to get a good comparison I didnt want to 'guess the near focus so I did; far >near 45> 65 near> far

STM going! (for you youngsters that's SHORT TERM MEMORY; hearing going too  )

Victor
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: vgogolak on January 31, 2009, 11:47:50 am
NEW RAW

Thanks to T-1000 for pointing out!

here are the coresponding near far

https://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBRY05uTWNCMTUzZUE9PQ (https://www.yousendit.com/download/WnBRY05uTWNCMTUzZUE9PQ)

Victor
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: Khun_K on January 31, 2009, 12:13:41 pm
Quote from: vgogolak
So, a call from Dave the Karen at CI and a P65+ (Contax 645 mount) is on its way!

Actually, I am almost more interested in the high ISO 15MP performance than the 60MP

I will be seeing how the Schneider/Alpa and contax lenses hold up.

Now, if I could just get more than three shots per card....

Victor
May be you guys will like to see a 100% crop from the similar Leaf AFi II 10, with 56 MP resolution.  I am also a P45+ on Contax 645 user, I am very much believed the result will be very similar in the case with P65+.
This shot was made 2 days before Christmas, using Schneider 80/2.8AF, Bron-color Para 220FB with Verso A4. The crop pictures present the skin, hair and fabric and shadow details.

Regards, K
Title: Here come the P65+ where are 64GB CF cards!
Post by: jjj on January 31, 2009, 11:55:41 pm
Quote from: michael
I did a 13 frame pano stitch with the P65+ and printed it yesterday. 8 feet wide at 360ppi. It'll be hanging at my gallery as of this afternoon. Something to see. I'll have an article on the making of it soon as well.
I must pop into your gallery some day and look at your work in person, as I think it is not best apreciated by viewing online