Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: dwdallam on January 25, 2009, 06:50:47 am

Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: dwdallam on January 25, 2009, 06:50:47 am
WISH LIST FOR PHOTOSHOP--On topic only. Nothing but wish list, and if those from PS come over to ask questions, answers to those questions.

Auto-Check Spelling before closing document.

 Got a nice surprise after an ad I did last month came out in a magazine with a misspelling. It was one of those words that no one caught, not even the editors, except one person sent an email to my client. He laughed it off, but I was pissed at myself, even though he did have a chance to proof it before press.

I know that will happen again if there is no option to auto spell check. It's inevitable.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: thierrylegros396 on January 25, 2009, 07:08:14 am
A premium alignement tool is needed like the one used in PTGui !

And if possible supporting a lot of files format !

Thierry
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jerryrock on January 25, 2009, 09:46:03 am
Quote from: dwdallam
WISH LIST FOR PHOTOSHOP--On topic only. Nothing but wish list, and if those from PS come over to ask questions, answers to those questions.

Auto-Check Spelling before closing document.

 Got a nice surprise after an ad I did last month came out in a magazine with a misspelling. It was one of those words that no one caught, not even the editors, except one person sent an email to my client. He laughed it off, but I was pissed at myself, even though he did have a chance to proof it before press.

I know that will happen again if there is no option to auto spell check. It's inevitable.

You are using the wrong tool for the job. Photoshop is not a page layout program. Print advertising is best accomplished using a program like Adobe InDesign.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: mahleu on January 25, 2009, 10:50:50 am
Camera Raw support for new cameras for CS3
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: ziocan on January 25, 2009, 12:18:42 pm
Quote from: jerryrock
You are using the wrong tool for the job. Photoshop is not a page layout program. Print advertising is best accomplished using a program like Adobe InDesign.
I agree.
Using Photoshop for text, it is like using a wine opener to wipe an egg. You can, but...

If some one really has to embed text on an image that cannot be done with indesign, there is always the possibility of writing the text and check spelling it with Word and then pasting it in PS.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: digitaldog on January 25, 2009, 01:35:15 pm
Spell checking in PS (or any other application) has been doable for me for years, at least on the Mac using Spell Catcher. Works in every application.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: Yoram from Berlin on January 25, 2009, 06:40:08 pm
Related, but:

I'd like the Adobe Bridge Upload app (the one that pulls my files off my card) to be able to allocate different folders for different file types. Right now it allows me to copy the all the files on the card to a back-up location simultaneously... but I'd like to be able to put RAW files in one, JPGs in another.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 25, 2009, 07:49:04 pm
Quote from: digitaldog
Spell checking in PS (or any other application) has been doable for me for years, at least on the Mac using Spell Catcher. Works in every application.
Butt as a long-thyme user of computers, eye halve herd often that ewe can't trust spell checkers. Their just knot reliable IMHO. Its best just to reed over what ewe have written.  
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jjj on January 25, 2009, 07:51:37 pm
Quote from: Iron Flatline
I'd like the Adobe Bridge Upload app (the one that pulls my files off my card) to be able to allocate different folders for different file types. Right now it allows me to copy the all the files on the card to a back-up location simultaneously... but I'd like to be able to put RAW files in one, JPGs in another.
Don't see the point in that. Makes for more work having to look in different folders for same shots on a shoot. Plus when you rename RAW files the JPEGs also get renamed when using Bridge and Bridge moves the files together, also a time saver.
And if you don't want to see several file types at same time in Bridge simply use the Filter panel and click file type you want to see.  Plus you can look at several file versions of an image next to each other. The 3 versions will usually look different, so why hunt through 3 folders to compare them.
I keep all file types from a shoot together in one folder, RAW, JPEG, PSD...much easier than separate folders to my mind.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: Chris_Brown on January 25, 2009, 08:06:24 pm
I'd like all the filters to work in 16-bit mode.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: Wim van Velzen on January 26, 2009, 02:41:40 am
It would be nice if it were possible to select a few files at the same time and do the same adjustment (like you can do in ACR). Things like removing a few dust blobs in the sky would be much easier.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jjj on January 26, 2009, 04:28:31 am
Quote from: Wim van Velzen
It would be nice if it were possible to select a few files at the same time and do the same adjustment (like you can do in ACR). Things like removing a few dust blobs in the sky would be much easier.
So why not do that in ACR? Removing dust spots can be done in ACR en masse.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jjj on January 26, 2009, 04:56:22 am
Quote from: ziocan
Quote from: jerryrock
You are using the wrong tool for the job. Photoshop is not a page layout program. Print advertising is best accomplished using a program like Adobe InDesign.
I agree.
Using Photoshop for text, it is like using a wine opener to wipe an egg. You can, but...

If some one really has to embed text on an image that cannot be done with indesign, there is always the possibility of writing the text and check spelling it with Word and then pasting it in PS.
I sort of agree, but not everyone has InDesign and the text engine in PS was taken directly from InDesign anyway, so it's not such a bad tool for a single page design. Not to mention that you can do a lot more creative/complex stuff with type in PS, though ID has also been getting PS tools in a reverse swap.
PS has been used for graphic design layout for years as it's actually very good at such things.  But it's not so hot for multiple versions/pages as Indesign and now Illustrator, which finally has multiple and varied sized artboards.

When PS's type engine was upgraded some while back, I did an entirely tpe based design in it to test it out and PS did an excellent job.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: dwdallam on January 26, 2009, 06:01:50 am
Quote from: jerryrock
You are using the wrong tool for the job. Photoshop is not a page layout program. Print advertising is best accomplished using a program like Adobe InDesign.

It does the job I need it for perfectly. I don't have much text at all. These are one page or less ad's. I would never try to do brochures or news letters, etc in PS for sure. But the text tool is in PS for a reason, and it's there not to take the place of InDesign, but to allow text to be used in small quantities--just like I'm using it. And since it it there for that function, I think it should have the option to spell check documents before closing them.

What I'm doing is something like this:
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: Wim van Velzen on January 26, 2009, 08:42:22 am
Quote from: jjj
So why not do that in ACR? Removing dust spots can be done in ACR en masse.


Not if you have a number of tiff files from other raw-converters (like Hasselblad´s in my case) (yes, you can open tiffs in ACR, but that´s a bit too much ado). And it might be my limited experience, but the dust removal tools in ACR fell far short compared to PS.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: john beardsworth on January 26, 2009, 08:53:37 am
You know, I suspect you may already be able to make Photoshop do this automatic spellchecking, though I've not the time to test it.

Since CS3 there has been the Events Manager - under File > Scripts. This tells Photoshop to listen for certain events, such as file closing, and trigger a JavaScript. While a JS can potentially do all the work, it might make be easiest to make a simple one which runs an action which initiates spellchecking.

John
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jjj on January 26, 2009, 10:00:16 am
Quote from: Wim van Velzen
Not if you have a number of tiff files from other raw-converters (like Hasselblad´s in my case) (yes, you can open tiffs in ACR, but that´s a bit too much ado). And it might be my limited experience, but the dust removal tools in ACR fell far short compared to PS.
 But even the clone tools work better than in ACR/LR, it won't actually help that much. Doing dust cleaning on a group of images [unless the same composition] is not always going to get the best results, no matter what the programme.
Group work on many images at same time is not what PS is good at anyway. Though batch processing images using actions is great for less specific processes.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: digitaldog on January 26, 2009, 10:13:08 am
Quote from: jjj
But even the clone tools work better than in ACR/LR, it won't actually help that much. Doing dust cleaning on a group of images [unless the same composition] is not always going to get the best results, no matter what the programme.
Group work on many images at same time is not what PS is good at anyway. Though batch processing images using actions is great for less specific processes.

If the dust is sensor dust, in the same areas, LR (and presumably ACR) do a great job of bulk correcting. And even if you find a few of hundreds are a tad off, its just a metadata instruction, you're never burning the edit into pixels so its fast and easy to remove or readjust the one image. Even if the images are rotated, the ACR engine does a pretty good job of automatically finding the appropriate source for the clone. Again, not prefect, but pretty darn good and a great fast start to the process. Trying to open clone and save within Photoshop would be agonizingly slow in comparison. But then its a pixel editor, not a parametric editor.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jjj on January 26, 2009, 10:31:30 am
Quote from: digitaldog
If the dust is sensor dust, in the same areas, LR (and presumably ACR) do a great job of bulk correcting. And even if you find a few of hundreds are a tad off, its just a metadata instruction, you're never burning the edit into pixels so its fast and easy to remove or readjust the one image. Even if the images are rotated, the ACR engine does a pretty good job of automatically finding the appropriate source for the clone. Again, not prefect, but pretty darn good and a great fast start to the process. Trying to open clone and save within Photoshop would be agonizingly slow in comparison. But then its a pixel editor, not a parametric editor.
And why I suggested using ACR/LR instead of PS.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: jerryrock on January 26, 2009, 11:04:18 am
Quote from: dwdallam
It does the job I need it for perfectly. I don't have much text at all. These are one page or less ad's. I would never try to do brochures or news letters, etc in PS for sure. But the text tool is in PS for a reason, and it's there not to take the place of InDesign, but to allow text to be used in small quantities--just like I'm using it. And since it it there for that function, I think it should have the option to spell check documents before closing them.

Nice design by the way. But getting back to using the right tool for the job......... I have to maintain my position about InDesign being the proper tool for print design.
If Photoshop did the job for you perfectly, you would not be complaining about the lack of a spell check engine. Adobe Creative Suite was designed to work together with tight integration; Illustrator for drawing and creating vector art, Photoshop for digital images and InDesign for adding text and combining the elements from the three programs into a final print package. InDesign also has a pre-flight print check that finds inconsistencies with color profiles, missing linked files and fonts. It packages the entire project (into one folder) for output to print including image files and font files.

Jerry
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: dwdallam on January 27, 2009, 01:23:57 am
Quote from: jerryrock
Nice design by the way. But getting back to using the right tool for the job......... I have to maintain my position about InDesign being the proper tool for print design.
If Photoshop did the job for you perfectly, you would not be complaining about the lack of a spell check engine. Adobe Creative Suite was designed to work together with tight integration; Illustrator for drawing and creating vector art, Photoshop for digital images and InDesign for adding text and combining the elements from the three programs into a final print package. InDesign also has a pre-flight print check that finds inconsistencies with color profiles, missing linked files and fonts. It packages the entire project (into one folder) for output to print including image files and font files.

Jerry


I understand what you are saying, but I still respectfully disagree. If there is a spellchecker in a program, there should, in my opinion, be an option to auto check using that programs function, of which is a spell checker. The other argument, that my work flow is not as efficient as it could be if I were to use InDesign for creating my ads, is a different story. For me, PS does exactly what I need it to do, sans auto checking my spelling, w/o opening another program. The printer only want jpg files these days using Adobe 1998 or sRGB. The color is close enough. I don;t even take jobs that require me and a printer to pow wow with each other for perfect color reproduction in print media. I mean I would do that, but the cost of such procedure is beyond what my clients want to pay. In other words, the colors they see in the print media are close enough, to the real widget and to get them much closer the printer would need to change their work flow--and probably the magazine editor would need to move to more color accurate paper!

It's just a wish-auto check spelling before closing document.
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: john beardsworth on January 27, 2009, 02:55:06 am
You tried my suggestion? Adobe may consider auto spellchecking out of the program's scope, but have at least provided a mechanism for it to be implemented.

John
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: dwdallam on January 27, 2009, 03:28:27 am
Quote from: johnbeardy
You tried my suggestion? Adobe may consider auto spellchecking out of the program's scope, but have at least provided a mechanism for it to be implemented.

John


I just tried assigning an action to spell check, but that's not working. I don't know why. When I try to run the scrip, even just running it, it says, "The object "in contents of all text" is not currently available. It looks like SPellchecking is not a valid action for some reason. You can make it, but it will not run. OK it does run if you have the document open and choose run action, but it's not running when you try to close the document. It works if you assign it to run the action when you save a document. I suspect the document is cloed before teh spell check can run, which is why you get the message that the "contents are not available."
Title: PHOTOSHOP WISH LIST
Post by: john beardsworth on January 27, 2009, 03:33:58 am
OK, maybe it needs to be run on a text layer rather than a pixel one. That was in my mind when I mentioned that a JavaScript could do the whole lot - it could loop through the document's layers and just spellcheck the text ones.

Someone must have done this before. Maybe google or try ps-scripts.com?

John