Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: sniper on January 23, 2009, 03:10:22 am
-
A question about the output sharpening in LR, if I export say 600x600 and apply the sharpen for screen for that size, does LR add that output sharpen to any sharpening I have already applied in develop modual, or does it mitigate the dev sharpen in favor of the output size?
I ask because I'm finding images resized in LR noticably softer to images exported and then resized in PS using fit image. Thanks Wayne
-
deleted
-
A question about the output sharpening in LR, if I export say 600x600 and apply the sharpen for screen for that size, does LR add that output sharpen to any sharpening I have already applied in develop modual, or does it mitigate the dev sharpen in favor of the output size?
I ask because I'm finding images resized in LR noticably softer to images exported and then resized in PS using fit image. Thanks Wayne
Output sharpening in LR is always added to any sharpening you've applied in the Develop module.
The Develop module's Detail pane's controls are for capture sharpening. This is applied at the image's original (a.k.a. "native") image resolution, without image resizing or resampling. This is output-independent sharpening.
In contrast, output sharpening is applied by LR to the final resized image (in your example, 600x600). It is very much output-dependent.
The two sharpening modes are designed to work together, but the controls for one do not affect the results for the other. So, specifically, your choice of output image size (600x600) and choice of Output Sharpening (e.g., Standard, Screen) has no effect on the capture sharpening settings or results in the Develop module's Detail tab.
-
The basic workflow is based on this:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html (http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html)
Just subtract creative sharpening in terms of LR.
-
Just subtract creative sharpening in terms of LR.
Albeit limited in comparison to Photoshop's capabilities, LR's adjustment brush does allow for creative sharpening, finally bringing all three (capture, creative and print sharpening) into one app.
-
Albeit limited in comparison to Photoshop's capabilities, LR's adjustment brush does allow for creative sharpening, finally bringing all three (capture, creative and print sharpening) into one app.
It allows you to brush sharpening, I'd be hard pressed to call it a creative sharpening; it is a local sharpening. And the opposite is hardly blurning.
-
Thanks for the replies guys, I don't do the creative sharpen in lightroom, only capture and output, I normally use PS for that, but using the sharpening brush in LR would cut down time on that side.
Do LR2 and CS4 use a similar algorithm for sharpening?
Thanks Wayne
-
Do LR2 and CS4 use a similar algorithm for sharpening?
Not really no. One's a gamma encoded file being worked on, one's not. That alone makes a difference. The net results between the sharpening in the two products whereby you're using PhotoKit Sharpener should be pretty close when ink hits the print with in fact, LR having probably even better results (Adobe and Jeff Schewe along with originally Bruce tweaked and have contained to tweak the LR sharpening since 2 was released).
Note too that in LR.'s print sharpening, you have three 'strengths' where in PKS, you'd have to adjust the resulting layer opacity from its default. The default in LR is roughly the default in PKS. Mac Holbert who's also a Pixel Genius felt the PKS default was a bit low, JP Capoanigro felt the opposite so the two other settings could (should?) be named Mac and JP respectively.
-
Many thanks for the reply. Wayne