Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: BlasR on January 17, 2009, 10:54:09 am

Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 17, 2009, 10:54:09 am
Here are some photos from the H3DII-50


lens used, HC-300 and HC-50-110

If you going to ask me question, go ahead

but to answer you lets me first tell you.

Do you need the camera? NO .   why no?    Well the files are to big, you going to need, a lot places to store the files.

that is #1. oh, what about ?#2 phocus is a nightmare, if you come from C1 (sorry H).

P45+ vs H3DII-50 well, well, well.  To me I will go with H,,Oh why? H, is cheaper, do not need extra battery, is lighter you have only one company vs 2 from phase one.

Most important CUSTOMER service is with you at all the time, a list for me is more important then money.
If you need a raw files, please let me know, how I can send it.  Will be yours free.

I love the camera, is very light, the price was just right.  Do not ask me how much I got it for.

PS the first/last files, was handheld, with the hc-300
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 17, 2009, 11:10:09 am
Hi Blas,


Glad you are enjoying the camera.

Give Phocus a chance to learn it.  It is a great piece of software and can help you along with many things.  Check the videos on hasselblad.com if you would prefer not to look at the manual.

Cheers,



David


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BJNY on January 17, 2009, 11:34:15 am
BlasR or David,

• Is there not a compressed RAW file format similar to Phase One's IIQL ?

• Why is the specification 1fps, but only 30 frames per minute (shouldn't it be 60)?

• What are the chances of a multi-shot version?

Thanks,

Billy
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: VanKou on January 17, 2009, 12:28:22 pm

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Blas,


Glad you are enjoying the camera.

Give Phocus a chance to learn it.  It is a great piece of software and can help you along with many things.  Check the videos on hasselblad.com if you would prefer not to look at the manual.

Cheers,



David

I agree, Phocus is very good in terms of color quality and look of the image.  It is buggy however and a big computer resource consumer.
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 17, 2009, 02:32:21 pm
David,

My problem right now is, if I wish to look some files. Exemple here.

I took the photo from my bathroom, got it on my desktop as a new folder,  I want to open it with phocus,

I can see files, I click on it, in nothing happen, double click, nothing happen, safe it on,what ever else, and maybe will work.

Why if I click to the files, see them in then double click, why I can't open it?

Now I finish with a file, in I like to open it with bridge 4, why it's can't be done?

Do I'm doing something wrong?

I can't find the help with the video/menual

Thank you.

I'm still love the camera, but phocus, I will give a week 5 hours a day, if not, poor me

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: design_freak on January 18, 2009, 11:32:13 am
Quote from: BlasR
David,

My problem right now is, if I wish to look some files. Exemple here.

I took the photo from my bathroom, got it on my desktop as a new folder,  I want to open it with phocus,

I can see files, I click on it, in nothing happen, double click, nothing happen, safe it on,what ever else, and maybe will work.

Why if I click to the files, see them in then double click, why I can't open it?

Now I finish with a file, in I like to open it with bridge 4, why it's can't be done?

Do I'm doing something wrong?

I can't find the help with the video/menual

Thank you.

I'm still love the camera, but phocus, I will give a week 5 hours a day, if not, poor me

BlasR

Hi,
I quess that you shot on CF card.
So it's easy. You must click on "import icon" and chose directory where you have your photos.
After import your files are in "destination folder"
righ now you can bouble click to open.
I hope that clearly described, if not I am sorry I have the flue.


Best regards,
Design Freak
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: AlexLF on January 18, 2009, 12:19:37 pm
Quote from: VanKou
I agree, Phocus is very good in terms of color quality and look of the image.  It is buggy however and a big computer resource consumer.
BlasR, thank you for sharing info about H3D50!

I'd like to get a RAW file of a pic taken on ISO 50 with widest lens you have! Please send me a private message on how may I get the file.

Thank you.
Alex
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: jjj on January 18, 2009, 02:02:15 pm
Quote from: BlasR
I love the camera, is very light, the price was just right.  Do not ask me how much I got it for.
So how much did it cost?  

Phocus!! - getting images into Phocus/dealing with Hassy files/Flexcolour [spit!!] is not quite as straightforward as with other software.
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 05:41:45 am
Quote from: BJNY
BlasR or David,

• Is there not a compressed RAW file format similar to Phase One's IIQL ?

• Why is the specification 1fps, but only 30 frames per minute (shouldn't it be 60)?

• What are the chances of a multi-shot version?

Thanks,

Billy

1. Yes, the Hasselblad RAW files are compressed

2. The number of frames per minute will depend on the speed of CF card you are using, so will vary.  Ie an Extreme IV card or higher will clear quicker compared to a slower card.

3. There is every chance I am sure.  Depends very much if the increased benefit is 'worth it' compared to the single shot - which is excellent on the 50MP.  We will see!


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 05:45:17 am
Quote from: jjj
So how much did it cost?  

Phocus!! - getting images into Phocus/dealing with Hassy files/Flexcolour [spit!!] is not quite as straightforward as with other software.

I disagree (of course!)

The import function allows you to do many things 'on import'.  

Like adding Meta Data (copyright, keywording, other templates) and settings, so saving time later in the workflow.

You can import directly from the camera, or card reader and be able to see the files before import if you wish to exclude some.  You do not need to copy them to the computer first if you do not wish too.

Best,


David
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 05:49:43 am
Quote from: BlasR
David,

My problem right now is, if I wish to look some files. Exemple here.

I took the photo from my bathroom, got it on my desktop as a new folder,  I want to open it with phocus,

I can see files, I click on it, in nothing happen, double click, nothing happen, safe it on,what ever else, and maybe will work.

Why if I click to the files, see them in then double click, why I can't open it?

Now I finish with a file, in I like to open it with bridge 4, why it's can't be done?

Do I'm doing something wrong?

I can't find the help with the video/menual

Thank you.

I'm still love the camera, but phocus, I will give a week 5 hours a day, if not, poor me

BlasR


Blas take a look at page 25 in the Phocus manual.  Everything is explained there in one page with screen grabs.  It is very simple.  Start with selecting a new destination folder where you want your imported files to go.  Take a look at page 15 towards the bottom.

Images shot to a CF card are compressed.  Importing them into Phocus uncompresses them and allows you to do other things on import as described above.

I see you have joined the Hasselblad forum and you will also get excellent help and advice there too. ;-)

Best,


David
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 05:53:37 am
Quote from: VanKou
I agree, Phocus is very good in terms of color quality and look of the image.  It is buggy however and a big computer resource consumer.


Yes it is fair to say Phocus does use reasonable resources.  However, by using core image in OSX (which allows us to access the processor on the graphics card) we can give the user immediate feedback on changes / edits to the image at 100% without them having to wait for the preview to 'build'.

Buggy, I would say no certainly with our latest release 1.1.2.

Best,


David
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BJNY on January 19, 2009, 06:12:02 am
Thanks, David.
Some facts, please:

What size is the uncompressed RAW file?
What size is the compressed RAW file when shooting to CF card?
What size is the compressed RAW file when shooting to computer?

How many frames per minute shooting to an ExtremeIV CF card?
How many frames per minute shooting to fastest Mac Pro tower?
How many frames per minute shooting to fastest MacBook Pro laptop?
Any slowdown after a certain amount of frames for EACH?


Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
1. Yes, the Hasselblad RAW files are compressed

2. The number of frames per minute will depend on the speed of CF card you are using, so will vary.  Ie an Extreme IV card or higher will clear quicker compared to a slower card.

3. There is every chance I am sure.  Depends very much if the increased benefit is 'worth it' compared to the single shot - which is excellent on the 50MP.  We will see!
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 06:38:14 am
Quote from: BJNY
Thanks, David.
Some facts, please:

What size is the uncompressed RAW file?
What size is the compressed RAW file when shooting to CF card?
What size is the compressed RAW file when shooting to computer?

How many frames per minute shooting to an ExtremeIV CF card?
How many frames per minute shooting to fastest Mac Pro tower?
How many frames per minute shooting to fastest MacBook Pro laptop?
Any slowdown after a certain amount of frames for EACH?

No Problem!

- Size to CF card is 65.8MB (3FR file)
- When transferred to computer (3F file) it is virtually the same as it still remains compressed to some extent to save on file size.  We do add a larger preview which increases the file size a bit.  Each file will vary slightly due to how much it can be compressed but it will be no more than 70MB.
- As above

-33 per minute.  This will be better as the CF card speeds increase.  UDMA cards are already supported.
- Very hard to say - depends on memory and hard disk speed.  I haven't done a test yet myself so will let you know when I do.
- As above.

Regarding the last two - You could essentially shoot 1.1 frames every second until you ran out of memory.  Then those images are written from RAM to Disk which will increase depending on the speed of the system (RAM speed and disk speed).  There is very little slowdown even when shooting a lot of frames.

Perhaps visit a dealer and put it through the ringer under your own conditions?

Best,


David
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on January 19, 2009, 09:35:11 am
hi david,
i have a question too about phocus:
sometimes when i doubleclick on one thumbnail, it will open in the viewer - but suddenly swiches to black  

if i click on another image to view, it may work and then going back to the first image it does look alright also.

i have no idea why sometimes the screen is black?

do you have any idea?

regards
tom
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 19, 2009, 09:52:08 am
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
I disagree (of course!)

The import function allows you to do many things 'on import'.  

Like adding Meta Data (copyright, keywording, other templates) and settings, so saving time later in the workflow.

You can import directly from the camera, or card reader and be able to see the files before import if you wish to exclude some.  You do not need to copy them to the computer first if you do not wish too.

Best,


David
David,

I desagree, with you(sorry)

 Right now, if I want to get anything from the flash card, or desktop, I need to copy what ever I want to,"quick collection or appliccation", & some time work with Scatchpad. Then I can work with those files

I will contact my vender, to see if they can help.

But so far, is a nightmare, to do anything.

BlasR


Alex,

I have not problem to send you file.

So tell me how and I will send it to you

If you want with HC-35 let me know, I can go outside,( 1 1/2 foot of snow), take couple shots, and send it to you.

Here is my street with h3dII-50
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 19, 2009, 09:53:14 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
hi david,
i have a question too about phocus:
sometimes when i doubleclick on one thumbnail, it will open in the viewer - but suddenly swiches to black  

if i click on another image to view, it may work and then going back to the first image it does look alright also.

i have no idea why sometimes the screen is black?

do you have any idea?

regards
tom


Tom,

I have the same problem.

What camera do you have?

Thanks

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 09:59:19 am
Quote from: BlasR
David,

I desagree, with you(sorry)

 Right now, if I want to get anything from the flash card, or desktop, I need to copy what ever I want to,"quick collection or appliccation", & some time work with Scatchpad. Then I can work with those files

I will contact my vender, to see if they can help.

But so far, is a nightmare, to do anything.

BlasR

Hi Blas,

No need to be sorry!  Always a learning curve with these things.

There is no need to copy from the CF card if you don't want to.  You can 'import' directly from it.  You do not need to use the quick collection either.  The Scratchpad is simply a default folder Phocus makes when you first launch it.  However, you can change the name and location of this to your own preference.  It is simply a folder where you want your raw files to be from a particular job.

Nice image!  Just back from the snowy regions myself.

Best,


David


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 10:00:12 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
hi david,
i have a question too about phocus:
sometimes when i doubleclick on one thumbnail, it will open in the viewer - but suddenly swiches to black  

if i click on another image to view, it may work and then going back to the first image it does look alright also.

i have no idea why sometimes the screen is black?

do you have any idea?

regards
tom

Hi Tom and Blas,

What video card do you have in your Mac.  Also what Mac do you have?

Best,


David


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 19, 2009, 10:09:14 am
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Tom and Blas,

What video card do you have in your Mac.  Also what Mac do you have?

Best,


David

David,
here is what I got:

2x3.2 GHz Quad-core intel xeon

memory 16 GB

Graphics, Nvidia geForce 8800  GT.

Is good ?

I hope it is,is  work great with Capture One

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 19, 2009, 10:52:46 am
Quote from: BlasR
David,
here is what I got:

2x3.2 GHz Quad-core intel xeon

memory 16 GB

Graphics, Nvidia geForce 8800  GT.

Is good ?

I hope it is,is  work great with Capture One

BlasR

Yep!  Perfect system.

Are you using Phocus 1.1.2?


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 19, 2009, 11:33:24 am
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Yep!  Perfect system.

Are you using Phocus 1.1.2?


David,

Yes, any soluction to my problem?

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on January 19, 2009, 11:51:18 am
Quote from: BlasR
David,

Yes, any soluction to my problem?

BlasR


hi,
i'm using the h3d-39.
and my g5 1.8 double processor with ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

tom
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: O.Ricter on January 19, 2009, 12:50:46 pm
Quote from: BlasR
David,
here is what I got:

2x3.2 GHz Quad-core intel xeon

memory 16 GB

Graphics, Nvidia geForce 8800  GT.

Is good ?

I hope it is,is  work great with Capture One

BlasR

Hi BlasR, David and Tom

I have the same set-up as you guys do and have never seen this?
Could you please give more info on this?

After the release of version 1.1.2, Phocus for MAC - everything has worked great! Maybe you should try to get help from Hasselbladdigitalforum.com

O.R



Title: H3DII-50
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on January 19, 2009, 03:58:21 pm
Quote from: O.Ricter
Hi BlasR, David and Tom

I have the same set-up as you guys do and have never seen this?
Could you please give more info on this?

After the release of version 1.1.2, Phocus for MAC - everything has worked great! Maybe you should try to get help from Hasselbladdigitalforum.com

O.R


hi,
i doubleclick on the preview image, than the image pops up and sometimes suddenly turns to black:



click on another image - its ok. click on the first image again - ok also.
until it will happen again...
   
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on January 19, 2009, 03:59:44 pm
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
hi,
i doubleclick on the preview image, than the image pops up and sometimes suddenly turns to black:



click on another image - its ok. click on the first image again - ok also.
until it will happen again...
 


sorry i forgot the screenshot:[attachment=11009:Bild_1.png]
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: Dustbak on January 19, 2009, 04:32:45 pm
@Blasr
You should not double click on an image (a .3FR file). Select  in Phocus the images (.3FR files) you want to import. Next press on the import button. This will import your images to the set directory. It will also convert your 3FR files to FFF files. FFF files can be handled by Phocus and exported to other formats (Tiff/Layered PSD, JPG and even DNG).

3FR files can be seen as thumbs in OSX but cannot be opened which it sounds you are trying to do.

@PhoTomgraphy
The screen shot of the posting above the files are already imported and converted to .FFF files. This is a weird problem  

Maybe you can send a .FFF file (by yousendit.com) that has this problem to see if we can replicate this behaviour. I have never experienced it with my CF39 or CF39MS. I do find Phocus almost impossible to use with multishot files though.
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 19, 2009, 04:56:58 pm
Quote from: Dustbak
@Blasr
You should not double click on an image (a .3FR file). Select  in Phocus the images (.3FR files) you want to import. Next press on the import button. This will import your images to the set directory. It will also convert your 3FR files to FFF files. FFF files can be handled by Phocus and exported to other formats (Tiff/Layered PSD, JPG and even DNG).

3FR files can be seen as thumbs in OSX but cannot be opened which it sounds you are trying to do.

@PhoTomgraphy
The screen shot of the posting above the files are already imported and converted to .FFF files. This is a weird problem  

Maybe you can send a .FFF file (by yousendit.com) that has this problem to see if we can replicate this behaviour. I have never experienced it with my CF39 or CF39MS. I do find Phocus almost impossible to use with multishot files though.


Duskbak,

Import, it's off, I can't click on it,

Thank You for your help.

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: Dustbak on January 19, 2009, 05:06:47 pm
You can only click on import when you have selected 1 or more .3FR files.

Insert your CF card in your card reader. Open Phocus and navigate to the directory on the card reader that holds your files. Select the files you want to import. Now you should be able to click on 'import'.
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 19, 2009, 06:00:30 pm
Dustbak,

Thank you very much, it's work.

Now my other question is were the files go, after import?

Sorry, but coming from Capture one, the is a nightmare, in the cd don't help.

But I love the camera..So camera vs software.

who need a job? I got no money back I can give you work, to work, for me, for free.  

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: Dustbak on January 20, 2009, 01:32:24 am
I understand. CaptureOne works differently, if that is the software you are familiar with you can get confused when you first start working with Phocus.

When you look at the 4 panels at the right (Capture, Browse, Adjust & Export). You will find in the the Capture panel the segment 'Job Info'. In 'Job Info' You will see as the first option 'destination'. Open that click on 'choose' and navigate to where you want to have the files.

BTW You can setup the 4 panels completely the way you like by clicking on the little arrow that is on the far right side, next to the panel Export.

Goodluck!
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 20, 2009, 02:06:34 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
sorry i forgot the screenshot:[attachment=11009:Bild_1.png]

Hi Tom,

Most of the G5's didn't come with graphics card suitable for Phocus.

I think yours is either a 256MB or 128MB card.  Correct?

Your best upgrade option is the Radeon ATI X1900 G5 edition for PCI Express or the 256Mb Radeon X800 XT for AGP.

I guess this could be a video issue with the black images.

Best,


David


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 20, 2009, 02:08:24 am
Quote from: BlasR
Dustbak,

Thank you very much, it's work.

Now my other question is were the files go, after import?

Sorry, but coming from Capture one, the is a nightmare, in the cd don't help.

But I love the camera..So camera vs software.

who need a job? I got no money back I can give you work, to work, for me, for free.  

BlasR

Hi Blas,

See my earlier post!  

Start with selecting a new destination folder where you want your imported files to go. Take a look at page 15 towards the bottom.

Best,


David
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 20, 2009, 02:09:46 am
Quote from: BlasR
David,

Yes, any soluction to my problem?

BlasR

Hi Blas,

It's unusual to see that issue on your system.

Get your dealer to open a support case with Hasselblad in Denmark as they may like to see your system profile and / or a 3F file.

Best,


David


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on January 20, 2009, 05:03:51 am
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Tom,

Most of the G5's didn't come with graphics card suitable for Phocus.

I think yours is either a 256MB or 128MB card.  Correct?

Your best upgrade option is the Radeon ATI X1900 G5 edition for PCI Express or the 256Mb Radeon X800 XT for AGP.

I guess this could be a video issue with the black images.

Best,


David

i guess you are right, that was one of my first thoughts. but i hoped it could be a user fault.
that would explain, that it appears not every time i open pictures, but for instance it seems to appear more often by changing the zoomfactor.  

the big files of the back will force me to buy a new mac pro anyway this year...  

thomas
btw. is there an opportunity to upgrade from h3d-39 to h3dII-39?
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on January 20, 2009, 05:18:18 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
i guess you are right, that was one of my first thoughts. but i hoped it could be a user fault.
that would explain, that it appears not every time i open pictures, but for instance it seems to appear more often by changing the zoomfactor.  

the big files of the back will force me to buy a new mac pro anyway this year...  

thomas
btw. is there an opportunity to upgrade from h3d-39 to h3dII-39?

Its a totally different experience with a Mac Pro.  The G5 is getting a bit long in the tooth for high end work I am afraid.

A 39MP file will process out in 10-12 seconds on a fast machine.  I am guessing on your G5 it is 1min+.

There is no official upgrade program anymore after we reduced the prices upto 40%.  However, talk to your dealer - you never know what he can find, especially if someone if looking to get a 50MP and wants to move on their 39MP.

Best,


David


Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 20, 2009, 05:54:04 am
Dustbak,

I got it,

Thank You for the help.

David,  

I will contact my vender, for some help with phocus,

Special  curves,

Thank you

BlasR
Title: H3DII-50
Post by: BlasR on January 26, 2009, 11:17:49 am
From HD3-50