Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: paulbk on January 14, 2009, 07:07:31 pm

Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: paulbk on January 14, 2009, 07:07:31 pm
Canada is a great country. A huge chunk of the planet full of stunning natural beauty from Atlantic to Pacific. It’s people and culture are amongst the most advanced in the world. (we won’t talk about hockey) However, as much as I admire our friendly neighbors to the north, I do wish you would be more careful with your frigid arctic air. If possible, please keep it north of lat. 45°.

Thank you.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Bill Caulfeild-Browne on January 14, 2009, 07:23:54 pm
OK, perhaps we can make a deal. I live almost exactly on the 45th parallel (45.15N, 81.40W) and our worst winter storms come from the US midwest, or even the Gulf. Usually our own frigid air comes the result of an Arctic High - which brings sunny skies.

So we'll try and keep the cold and sun, at least until spring, if you keep your moisture and snowstorms. Deal?

Bill
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: dchew on January 14, 2009, 07:24:41 pm
I have to say I don't agree.  I realize I'm in the minority here, but I like it!  Beats 35 degrees F and raining.

We need one of those smiley faces all frozen up.  I'd use it right here.  "    "


Dave Chew

Sitting by the wood stove in NE Ohio
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: lensfactory on January 14, 2009, 08:41:17 pm
To our dear friends in the south...

Please encourage your kids to take Geography classes more seriously, as we seem to know more about US geography than the Americans.

They might be surprised to know that parts of Canada ( in the most populous region, Southern Ontario) are MORE south than parts of California.

And then there's Alaska of course. Pretty far north for Americans eh...

Buffalo NY has far worse winters than Toronto..which is just north of it.
Chicago, for that matter has pretty bad winters.

Hardly a Canadian phenomenon...
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: blansky on January 14, 2009, 08:49:30 pm
As a Canadian living in California, I don't take any issue with your dislike of Canadian recycled weather but what I can't allow to slip through the cracks is your backhanded comment about hockey.

I just hope that you don't have a surprise visit by buses full people missing teeth and carrying hockey sticks to give you a little cultural body check.


Michael

Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Colorado David on January 14, 2009, 09:24:10 pm
Quote from: lensfactory
They might be surprised to know that parts of Canada ( in the most populous region, Southern Ontario) are MORE south than parts of California.

Only just barely.  
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: lensfactory on January 14, 2009, 09:32:48 pm
Quote from: Colorado David
Only just barely.

Sure..hehe..but it's true!
Will win you a few bets at the bar.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Pete JF on January 14, 2009, 11:29:30 pm
Canedian Geogorphy Lessin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZvAVcBIrQ&feature=related)

Take off eh.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: schrodingerscat on January 15, 2009, 12:37:35 am
Quote from: Pete JF
Canedian Geogorphy Lessin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ZvAVcBIrQ&feature=related)

Take off eh.


Hey...Way to go hoser.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: mahleu on January 15, 2009, 01:39:41 am
Quote from: lensfactory
To our dear friends in the south...

Please encourage your kids to take Geography classes more seriously, as we seem to know more about US geography than the Americans.

They might be surprised to know that parts of Canada ( in the most populous region, Southern Ontario) are MORE south than parts of California.

And then there's Alaska of course. Pretty far north for Americans eh...

Buffalo NY has far worse winters than Toronto..which is just north of it.
Chicago, for that matter has pretty bad winters.

Hardly a Canadian phenomenon...

Dear the majority of the North American residents,

Please be advised that Africa is not a country nor is African a language. Europe is not a country either.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 15, 2009, 06:23:54 am
And in case George Dubya is listening in, Yurp isn't a country, and neither is Africistan.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Robert Roaldi on January 15, 2009, 07:27:54 am
It's a cliché, but the 2nd biggest Canadian national pastime, after hockey, is talking about weather. A local radio announcer (CBC Radio, Ottawa) was talking about the trouble she had starting her car. It was -28 Celsius overnight here and predicted to be colder tonight. She said that a friend of hers in Winnipeg said big deal, it was -51 there. Generally speaking, I like winter because it gets rid of insects and street gangs, for a while anyway. Makes for neat pictures too. I get a kick out of the occasional forum thread about how to keep cameras working in cold weather; I always think, to hell with the camera, how do I keep ME warm!
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Petrjay on January 15, 2009, 10:32:25 am
Quote from: dchew
I have to say I don't agree.  I realize I'm in the minority here, but I like it!  Beats 35 degrees F and raining.

We need one of those smiley faces all frozen up.  I'd use it right here.  "    "


Dave Chew

Sitting by the wood stove in NE Ohio


Dave, I'm with you. As one who worked out in the elements for years, I'll take cold, snowy days over cold, rainy days any time. Besides, we don't usually get a lot of snow in Coastal Connecticut, and this winter has provided a lot of opportunities to get out and shoot some snowscapes. Of course my attitude may change if this goes on a couple more months. During the six years I spent in the mountains of Western Maine, I can't recall ever being disappointed when spring finally rolled around.  

Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: DarkPenguin on January 15, 2009, 11:21:51 am
-20F right now.  Oh, joy.  At least it is sunny.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: B-Ark on January 15, 2009, 11:31:49 am

Frigid arctic air ?? We don't have any of that here - today is a balmy -30, and I'm on the verge of heatstroke.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Colorado David on January 15, 2009, 12:06:23 pm
Several years ago, I shot a story about a native community that operated an small airline in Ontario to serve their more remote villages up north.  They flew Cessna Caravans, the large turbine single utility aircraft.  They based airplanes in various locations to fly schedules between villages and to Thunder Bay.  I visited one far northern location where they based an airplane that didn't have a hanger.  The mechanic there that cared for the plane explained that they parked it outside in winter, but would cover the cowling with a tarp and build a fire under it to keep it warm.  Imagine building a campfire under a two million dollar airplane!  The mechanic went on to tell me "You guys from down south just don't understand how hard it is to operate an airplane up here!"  Later, my host explained that the guy wasn't talking about Cessna's home, Wichita, Kansas,  he meant Thunder Bay.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on January 15, 2009, 12:25:30 pm
I suppose it won't make you all any happier to point out that we're having a heat wave here in Northern California.  Tank top weather, in the 70s F (which is about 22 C for the rest of the world that doesn't conservatively cling to outdated systems of units).
 

On the other hand, we're having a third drought year in a row, and the media is talking about possible or likely water rationing next summer.  Send some of your rain & snow this way, please!

Lisa
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 15, 2009, 01:35:49 pm
Quote from: nniko
I suppose it won't make you all any happier to point out that we're having a heat wave here in Northern California.  Tank top weather, in the 70s F (which is about 22 C for the rest of the world that doesn't conservatively cling to outdated systems of units).
 

On the other hand, we're having a third drought year in a row, and the media is talking about possible or likely water rationing next summer.  Send some of your rain & snow this way, please!

Lisa
Gosh, Lisa! I must be one of those North American geography illiterates. I never realized that California was in the southern hemisphere. I guess you must be pretty close to Australia. But just you wait; summer will return to the East Coast too, in a few years.  
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: jashley on January 15, 2009, 02:03:54 pm
This reminds me of a bit from The Royal Canadian Air Farce (TV show) back when there was serious talk of Quebec seceding.   They were "interviewing" someone from Quebec who said they hoped they would secede because they were "tired of these Canadian winters"!
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Dale_Cotton2 on January 15, 2009, 03:17:59 pm
Paul wrote:
Quote
However, as much as I admire our friendly neighbors to the north, I do wish you would be more careful with your frigid arctic air.
Sorry, but turn-around is fair play. Until you guys can keep all those Caribbean huricanes from moseying up north through your air space to ruin our autumns with day after day of rain and grey skies, we're not about to make our artic air toe the line.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: iliosgallery on January 15, 2009, 06:49:19 pm
Quote from: paulbk
Canada is a great country. .... It’s people and culture are amongst the most advanced in the world.

Speaking of weather and  'advanced' cultures, southern Ontario is so cold at the moment (-24C) that our lawyers are keeping their hands in their own pockets
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Stephen Starkman on January 15, 2009, 06:53:04 pm
Just remember, Michael et al are likely much warmer in Antarctica now then we are here in Toronto (having been there!).

It's all relative. Hey...was that an iceberg that just passed by my window?

- Stephen
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Pete Ferling on January 15, 2009, 09:57:34 pm
Look... we just have to build the fence higher, but no-one down here really understands metrics anyway.  Heck, I refused to roll the windows down or turn on the A/C because my Jeeps thermometer was reading 32C.  What the hell is that "C" all about!?!  It's Canadian mind control, I mean why does my beer distributor put the blue bottles up front and the silver cans in the back?  I wish Dubya were here, he'd say it much like better.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Farmer on January 16, 2009, 05:39:22 pm
Today's a bit cooler, but Wednesday and Thursday it was over 40c (105f) here in Sydney.  In winter, it can get as cold as 0c (+30f), but not often :-) :-)
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: AndyF on January 16, 2009, 09:56:06 pm
January and February are great for low light, long exposure photography up here - you'll find absolutely no thermal noise in your sensor!
Andy
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: JDClements on January 18, 2009, 01:56:07 pm
Quote from: Pete Ferling
What the hell is that "C" all about!?!  It's Canadian mind control

I am trying to think of all the countries in the world that still use Fahrenheit, and I am only coming up with one. Oh... wait, I think Belize still does. That's two.  
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 18, 2009, 04:04:03 pm
Here in the UK, it is common to refer to low temps in celsius, and high temps in fahrenheit. So in winter it might be zero or below, but come summer, it could be in the eighties! We've not fully embraced this decimalisation thing  
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Petrjay on January 18, 2009, 04:41:35 pm
I think it may be the Ray Bradbury Effect here in The States. After all, Celsius 232.777777 just doesn't have the same ring as Fahrenheit 451.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: jjj on January 18, 2009, 05:36:01 pm
Quote from: Chairman Bill
Here in the UK, it is common to refer to low temps in celsius, and high temps in fahrenheit. So in winter it might be zero or below, but come summer, it could be in the eighties! We've not fully embraced this decimalisation thing  
Depends on the paper you read.    I was reading the Daily Telegraph whilst staying at my Mother's house last week and was thrown by the fact that it reported temperatures in Farenheit [with C in paranthesis]. They don't want to scare the old fogeys who read it I guess.
Farenheit is as dumb and random as imperial measures. Which numpties decided to use random measures for everthing? My guess is that they were either drunk, stupid or spiteful enough to make maths much harder to annoy everyone. Also using Base 12 for things like clocks, degrees of cirlce etc when we count in base 10 wasn't exactly the smartest of moves either.

I'd be surprised if Canadians talk about weather as much as the Brits do, as large land masses like North America have waaaay less weather variation than pokey little islands tend to have.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 18, 2009, 05:59:37 pm
Quote from: jjj
... I was reading the Daily Telegraph ...
Oh dear.  

Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: David Sutton on January 18, 2009, 08:35:44 pm
Quote from: jjj
Also using Base 12 for things like clocks, degrees of cirlce etc when we count in base 10 wasn't exactly the smartest of moves either.

Codswallop.
Base 12 allows us to work out thirds and quarters of real world things easily and gives the answer in whole numbers. It's a system derived from peoples' real world needs and not a made up one that suited the politics of French pseudo-intellectuals. Uh, I feel a rant coming on.
Have to agree the celsius suits colder climates more. Though having being brought up in a hotter region, I feel being told we could go home from school when the temperature hit 37.78 degrees just wouldn't have the same ring to it. David
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: JDClements on January 18, 2009, 08:53:06 pm
Quote from: jjj
I'd be surprised if Canadians talk about weather as much as the Brits do, as large land masses like North America have waaaay less weather variation than pokey little islands tend to have.
I don't know how much Brits talk about it, but I can tell you that Canadians don't really talk about it so much as constantly complain about it.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: DarkPenguin on January 24, 2009, 10:28:19 am
Quote from: JDClements
I am trying to think of all the countries in the world that still use Fahrenheit, and I am only coming up with one. Oh... wait, I think Belize still does. That's two.  

"My car gets forty rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it." - Grandpa Simpson

By the way your country is leaking cold air again.
Title: our friendly neighbors to the north
Post by: Rob C on January 24, 2009, 03:49:36 pm
"Also using Base 12 for things like clocks, degrees of cirlce etc when we count in base 10 wasn't exactly the smartest of moves either."

Why ever not, Futt Futt; it created the advanced maths concept of duodecimals.

"I'd be surprised if Canadians talk about weather as much as the Brits do, as large land masses like North America have waaaay less weather variation than pokey little islands tend to have."

Have you simply decided to ignore the huge social tool that weather actually provides? How else would you converse with someone you would rather not converse with when escape is no option? With the neutral topic of weather, all guilt, blame, suspicion can be avoided, the necessary social obligations complied with and everybody goes home feeling much better.

Very useful indeed; it has been much warmer here in Spain, but very, very windy. ;-)

Ciao

Rob C