Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Detlef_g on January 13, 2009, 04:20:48 am

Title: Using a Hasselblad 123C on a Mamiya AFD (Not the AFD II Version) problems known
Post by: Detlef_g on January 13, 2009, 04:20:48 am
Hi

I’m planning for shootings portraits to switch from my Fuji GX680 to a used Mamiya AFD (because of a limited budget I want to go with I Version)

Do somebody has experience with this combination. I read in the web that there should be some problems with the combination AFD + Digital back (what I found was most comments about Phase one issues).

Thanks in advance.

Detlef
Title: Using a Hasselblad 123C on a Mamiya AFD (Not the AFD II Version) problems known
Post by: Ken Doo on January 13, 2009, 08:14:24 am
Quote from: Detlef_g
I read in the web that there should be some problems with the combination AFD + Digital back (what I found was most comments about Phase one issues).

Thanks in advance.

Detlef


I've shot with the Mamiya 645AFD for years on both a Kodak DCS Proback 645M and a Phase P30 digital back without any issues whatsoever.  The only issues that I can think of with the first generation AFD is that you might have some compatibility issues with the newer "d" series lenses, but if your budget is limited, then this is simply not going to be an issue for you...      If you can get the AFD II, you're better off----used prices are not bad.....  The most recent generation is much better than the original AFD...
Title: Using a Hasselblad 123C on a Mamiya AFD (Not the AFD II Version) problems known
Post by: BobDavid on January 13, 2009, 09:16:13 am
The AFD will work fine with the 132C. I still use mine with a Hasselblad CF39 MS from time to time.
Title: Using a Hasselblad 123C on a Mamiya AFD (Not the AFD II Version) problems known
Post by: A.K. on January 16, 2009, 07:23:56 pm
I am using this combination. Everything is great, though I sometimes receive error messages shooting tethered to FC. But in the field everything is ok, both units work as a single camera, so I think the errors should be software-related. The only thing that sometimes annoys me a little is the power consumption of mamiya: batteries drain in 1-2 trips or sessions. This is normal, I think, but I just can't get used to it after my battery-independent experience with film MF.
BTW, I haven't heard about any compatibility issues in case of AFD...
Title: Using a Hasselblad 123C on a Mamiya AFD (Not the AFD II Version) problems known
Post by: amsp on January 16, 2009, 09:06:00 pm
Quote from: A.K.
I am using this combination. Everything is great, though I sometimes receive error messages shooting tethered to FC. But in the field everything is ok, both units work as a single camera, so I think the errors should be software-related. The only thing that sometimes annoys me a little is the power consumption of mamiya: batteries drain in 1-2 trips or sessions. This is normal, I think, but I just can't get used to it after my battery-independent experience with film MF.
BTW, I haven't heard about any compatibility issues in case of AFD...
Remove the battery holder in between shoots and they will last much longer. This is not a problem when using a film back, but for some hardware related reason when using a DB it drains the batteries even when you're not using the camera.

Title: Using a Hasselblad 123C on a Mamiya AFD (Not the AFD II Version) problems known
Post by: A.K. on January 26, 2009, 06:45:43 pm
Quote from: amsp
Remove the battery holder in between shoots and they will last much longer. This is not a problem when using a film back, but for some hardware related reason when using a DB it drains the batteries even when you're not using the camera.
Thanks!