Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on January 12, 2009, 09:02:54 am
-
An upcoming cold front was a chance I couldn't miss...
http://flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillie...57612425596657/ (http://flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/72157612425596657/)
The D3x performed flawlessly:
- 850 images per battery at -10C average with MLU and LCD check on most images,
- condensation when coming back in was not a problem (I kept the camera in a bag for some time, but it got pretty wet nonetheless)
- not too many dust spots, altough there are a few already
- life view is a must to achieve perfect focus with MF lenses like the 24 mm PC-E T/S that was part of this trip
- I could achieve good pixel level sharpness with my usual RRS pano head
- ISO800 proved useful and usable to stop the motion of water in some images. When exposing to the right this did not impact image quality as much as I feared it would
Cheers,
Bernard
-
An upcoming cold front was a chance I couldn't miss...
http://flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillie...57612425596657/ (http://flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/72157612425596657/)
The D3x performed flawlessly:
- 850 images per battery at -10C average with MLU and LCD check on most images,
- condensation when coming back in was not a problem (I kept the camera in a bag for some time, but it got pretty wet nonetheless)
- not too many dust spots, altough there are a few already
- life view is a must to achieve perfect focus with MF lenses like the 24 mm PC-E T/S that was part of this trip
- I could achieve good pixel level sharpness with my usual RRS pano head
- ISO800 proved useful and usable to stop the motion of water in some images. When exposing to the right this did not impact image quality as much as I feared it would
Cheers,
Bernard
Looks like it was a fun hike!
-
Gorgeous, Bernard! The icy tree limbs are especially beautiful.
Lisa
-
Very nicely done, Bernard.
John
-
Beautiful images. I especially like the late afternoon light and peaks. Did you have to overexpose to retain the whiteness? Or did the Nikon 3D color meter do a good job of that?
John R
-
Beautiful images. I especially like the late afternoon light and peaks. Did you have to overexpose to retain the whiteness? Or did the Nikon 3D color meter do a good job of that?
John R
Hello John. Thanks.
I'd have to double check, but I believe that I had to dial in +1.0. I have not been very impressed with the metering of my D3x so far.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
I'd have to double check, but I believe that I had to dial in +1.0. I have not been very impressed with the metering of my D3x so far.
What's this?!?! Hints of derision from Nikon's biggest fan?
Some great work there, but Yatsugatake - 13 is my favourite.
Mike.
-
Looks like it was a fun hike!
It was good fun indeed.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Gorgeous, Bernard! The icy tree limbs are especially beautiful.
Lisa,
Thanks a lot, very kind of you.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Indeed, truly gorgeous as usual, Bernard.
I might even say: good enough to have been shot with a Canon.
Cheers,
Eric
-
Indeed, truly gorgeous as usual, Bernard.
Thanks Eric, very kind of you.
I might even say: good enough to have been shot with a Canon.
Another weakness of mines, I prefer to shoot in nice locales. I guess that a Holga would look pretty good too.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Thanks for sharing yet again, Bernard!
When I refer to images by number, I use the number in their title, not in the sequence.
My favourites are:
#11, #2 and #14. #3 is nearly as good as #2, but seems to be lacking that special something #2 has. I'd skip that frame for being too similar.
I'm not overly fond of high key images like the ones you've made in #5, #12 and #13, those don't hold much appeal to me, but I'll of course concede that those might work far better in print.
The snow heavy forestry and water does extremely little for me, and I suspect this comes from being jaded; this is part of daily winter life, and I know that Tibetans feel the same way about their mountains. I'll write that off to being cultural.
#9 was a bit more interesting, but I think the trunk coming in from the right dominates the frame too much. With a slightly different perspective -- if it had been possible -- I think this one would have worked better for me.
The overall favourite is #2, probably gorgeous in print.
-
The snow heavy forestry and water does extremely little for me, and I suspect this comes from being jaded; this is part of daily winter life, and I know that Tibetans feel the same way about their mountains. I'll write that off to being cultural.
Your statement seems to imply that people who live in areas that are beautiful can't appreciate the wonder of nature because their surroundings are simply reflective of 'everyday life'. That's kind of a depressing commentary. If you feel that jaded by the beauty and power of the natural world around you, I'd suggest clearing your mind, taking a long walk through a 'snow heavy forest and water', and gain a fresh perspective.
-
Thanks for sharing yet again, Bernard!
Jan,
Thanks for the detailed comments!
Cheers,
Bernard