Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Kuryan Thomas on January 07, 2009, 09:43:07 pm

Title: Colocating images and catalog on same drive
Post by: Kuryan Thomas on January 07, 2009, 09:43:07 pm
I'm planning to set up a RAID-0 (striped array) on my Mac Pro to hold my image files. Should I plan on placing the Lightroom catalog and preview caches on the same RAID array or on a separate (non-RAID) physical disk?

How about Photoshop and ACR scratch files and caches? On the RAID or separate physical disk?

I'm aiming for performance, not redundancy. I do have multiple backups of my images, including offsite rotation.

Thank you.
Title: Colocating images and catalog on same drive
Post by: genemcc on January 09, 2009, 07:58:49 am
You get a performance boost if the catalog is on a different drive from the source images. Scratch disks are also best if a separate drive. If you can dedicated a drive or partition exclusively to a scratch disk even better. Erase the scratch disk drive periodically to insure the maximum contiguous space.