Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Colorado David on January 06, 2009, 10:48:59 am

Title: Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR with the TC-20E II 2x
Post by: Colorado David on January 06, 2009, 10:48:59 am
Does anyone have any experience using this combination; the Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR with the TC-20E II 2x?  If so, please relate your experience.  Specifically, I'm interested in whether or not it will auto focus under some conditions.  I know the specs say it doesn't, but was wondering if your experience is different (such as in brightly lit conditions.)  Thanks.
Title: Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR with the TC-20E II 2x
Post by: gardnerdw on January 06, 2009, 03:23:44 pm
It focuses much slower in good light and not at all in poor light.
My advice would be to get a Katz eye focus screen and this will help manual focus.
This is what I use.
In addition, there is a significant loss of image quality.
I hope this helps
David Gardner
Title: Nikon 200-400 f/4 VR with the TC-20E II 2x
Post by: Colorado David on January 06, 2009, 03:31:09 pm
Thanks very much.  I read some reviews of the 2x teleconverter today and found some users reporting vignetting.  I have the 1.4x which works really well.  I may go with the 1.7x instead of the 2x.