Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: NigelC on January 05, 2009, 12:07:01 pm
-
Before I press the "Buy" button on a new Vista 64 box, I suddenly thought, while I've checked out all the hardware driver issues, I had assumed that my existing software running in XP would run OK in Vista 64. Most important is CS2, otherwise I can't implement upgrade to CS4, SilkyPix (have to use until I get ACR5 with CS4. DPP seems to be OK. Office 2003 may or may not work but can keep it on my XP laptop
-
Before I press the "Buy" button on a new Vista 64 box, I suddenly thought, while I've checked out all the hardware driver issues, I had assumed that my existing software running in XP would run OK in Vista 64. Most important is CS2, otherwise I can't implement upgrade to CS4, SilkyPix (have to use until I get ACR5 with CS4. DPP seems to be OK. Office 2003 may or may not work but can keep it on my XP laptop
If I remember correctly, I've had versions of Phtotshop as old as 6.0 working on Vista. Office 2003 will definitely work. The only s/w I've ever had trouble with on Vista is related to hardware that needs a serial connection. I have a USB/serial adapter that works great in XP, but does not work under Vista. You might think about printer drivers too. My ancient printers will work under Vista, but only with the Microsoft drivers. Some of those have really flaky color management options.
-
If I remember correctly, I've had versions of Phtotshop as old as 6.0 working on Vista. Office 2003 will definitely work. The only s/w I've ever had trouble with on Vista is related to hardware that needs a serial connection. I have a USB/serial adapter that works great in XP, but does not work under Vista. You might think about printer drivers too. My ancient printers will work under Vista, but only with the Microsoft drivers. Some of those have really flaky color management options.
Definitely is Vista 64 driver for Epson 3800. Wacom also on the ball with V64 drivers. However, I'll need Vuescan to operate my Coolscan LS50. Annoying thing is to get best quality out of my Canon 9950F scanner, need Silverfast, which isn't V64 compatible.Vuescan also doesn't work with 9950F and V64 - Scangear does but is crap. Just have to keep my XP laptop to do scans and then transfer files.