Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: joerg_glaescher on January 02, 2009, 12:59:32 pm

Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: joerg_glaescher on January 02, 2009, 12:59:32 pm
does anybody ever tried to combine a digital back with a rangefinder camera like mamiya 6 or 7


Joerg
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: rovanpera on January 02, 2009, 07:54:08 pm
I have tried Hasselblad SWC with P25, A great and portable combination!
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: shutay on January 02, 2009, 09:31:27 pm
For some time now, I've been trying to search to find out if there is some way to have something that is approximately like an Alpa TC, but with one or maximum 2 lenses and a COUPLED rangefinder. Of course, the idea is that it should be easy enough to rig it together, even if one has to pull together parts from different systems. Originally, my idea came from seeing those press cameras like the Mamiya Super 23, or the Baby Speed Graphics that had coupled rangefinder on the side. However, then I realised that I might not be able to have the focal lengths that I would like to have (about 35mm - 47mm) or the focus accuracy. It is now starting to look like so much bother that perhaps I should just forget it and get a Mamiya 645 AFD instead.

One "problem" I might foresee with modifying a Mamiya 6 to be able to put a digital back on it is that putting your eye to the viewfinder may be quite uncomfortable afterwards - the digital back will be right in the way.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: ndevlin on January 02, 2009, 09:34:05 pm
I would give my first born for a DB on my Mamiya 6, and often fantasize that this is what I would have custom built if I won the lottery. Unfortunately, I have been told by those who would know that there is simply not enough room to attach a back to the present point of the film plane on these cameras with any existing back.  

One of these days I'm sure some enterprising soul will custom design such a thing -- sometime after 645 size chips become cheap and commonplace  

- N.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: JohnBrew on January 03, 2009, 09:08:56 pm
Quote from: joerg_glaescher
does anybody ever tried to combine a digital back with a rangefinder camera like mamiya 6 or 7


Joerg

I have a Fotoman 6 x 9. Their website says that an adapter for a digital back is in the works for this body.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: vandevanterSH on January 03, 2009, 09:23:33 pm
Quote from: rovanpera
I have tried Hasselblad SWC with P25, A great and portable combination!

I have a SWC + CFV....it's a nice combination..the 38mm Biogon is a great lens

Steve
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: Gigi on January 03, 2009, 10:56:00 pm
Even worse, I dream of a Rollei TLR with a digital back (fixed). great for composition, small lenses, small camera, WLF.

Oh well, fantasy.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: paul_jones on January 03, 2009, 11:10:31 pm
Quote from: JohnBrew
I have a Fotoman 6 x 9. Their website says that an adapter for a digital back is in the works for this body.


what are they like? is the quality good? they seem very cheap. i would love a poor mans alpa alternative!

cheers paul
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: EricWHiss on January 04, 2009, 01:51:18 am
Quote from: Geoffreyg
Even worse, I dream of a Rollei TLR with a digital back (fixed). great for composition, small lenses, small camera, WLF.

Oh well, fantasy.
Yeah, that would be cool.  Probably could be done with the right machinest.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: Carsten W on January 04, 2009, 07:57:07 am
Quote from: EricWHiss
Yeah, that would be cool.  Probably could be done with the right machinest.

I don't know what the rear of the mirror in a TLR looks like, but it seems that it might be possible to stuff the battery in there, in order to minimize the extra depth necessary for such a camera.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: NBP on January 04, 2009, 09:23:38 am
Quote from: ndevlin
I would give my first born for a DB on my Mamiya 6, and often fantasize that this is what I would have custom built if I won the lottery.

Same, but for my beloved Fuji 670!
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: JohnBrew on January 04, 2009, 04:55:21 pm
Quote from: paul_jones
what are they like? is the quality good? they seem very cheap. i would love a poor mans alpa alternative!

cheers paul

Do you mean cheap or inexpensive? The quality is top-notch and I'm more than satisfied with the output. A picture of a Fotoman isn't much of a substitute for holding the real thing. BTW, they give a lifetime warranty on their bodies.
Title: medium format digital Rangefinder camera
Post by: paul_jones on January 04, 2009, 05:27:39 pm
Quote from: JohnBrew
Do you mean cheap or inexpensive? The quality is top-notch and I'm more than satisfied with the output. A picture of a Fotoman isn't much of a substitute for holding the real thing. BTW, they give a lifetime warranty on their bodies.

cheap, as in price- not quality.

cheers paul