Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: phoTOMgraphy on December 22, 2008, 07:08:43 am

Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on December 22, 2008, 07:08:43 am
hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum with great interest since 2007.
Now I'm going to become an MFDB user (I got the chance to buy a H3d 39 via ebay), and I'm wondering about the differences between Hasselblad's H3d 39 and H3dII 39 are?

And further does the 80mm HC perform well on the H3D 39, or in general which lenses are recomandable, and how about V lenses via an adaptor?

best regards
Thomas
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: design_freak on December 22, 2008, 08:05:19 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum with great interest since 2007.
Now I'm going to become an MFDB user (I got the chance to buy a H3d 39 via ebay), and I'm wondering about the differences between Hasselblad's H3d 39 and H3dII 39 are?

And further does the 80mm HC perform well on the H3D 39, or in general which lenses are recomandable, and how about V lenses via an adaptor?

best regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The main difference is 3 "display, which is better than the old, very clear, precise (you can now determine the exposure).
New metal flap slot for CF card.
Newer better cooling, without fan. Better quality, less Noise.
The new IR filter.
Ultrafocus newer generation.
New stronger socket for  FireWire 800
HC 80 is very nice and good quality. My favorite is HC 2.2/100 and HC 4/120 Macro. Very good is HC 50-110 but it is too heavy for me.
Amazing 4/28mm if you need extreme wide lens.
CF work through the lens adapter, we have confirmation of sharpness in body. Unfortunately, we have to manually propel a shutter and set the focus manually.
H3D 39 + lens should cost about 7000 Euro. New H3DII 39 + lens cost 14995 Euro without taxes.

Best regards,

Design Freak
--------------------------------------
Work hard and be nice to people
--------------------------------------

Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on December 22, 2008, 08:31:37 am
Quote from: design_freak
Hi Thomas,

Newer better cooling, without fan. Better quality, less Noise.
The new IR filter.
Ultrafocus newer generation.

How about the image quality of the h3d39 in general? Was the decision to buy this camera a bad one?

regards
Thomas
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: design_freak on December 22, 2008, 09:06:23 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
How about the image quality of the h3d39 in general? Was the decision to buy this camera a bad one?

regards
Thomas

Thomas,
H3D 39 is a very good camera. The quality is very good. I have no idea what you need this camera.I think it depends on pure calculation. If the equipment you will return after a few months, I am buying a new one with a guarantee. Even used equipment is quite expensive, so as I have written depends on your approach.

BR

Design Freak
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on December 22, 2008, 09:39:29 am
Quote from: design_freak
Thomas,
H3D 39 is a very good camera. The quality is very good. I have no idea what you need this camera.I think it depends on pure calculation. If the equipment you will return after a few months, I am buying a new one with a guarantee. Even used equipment is quite expensive, so as I have written depends on your approach.

BR

Design Freak

Hi,
I know that these things are quite expensive, thats why I couldn't afford to buy a new one.
I mostly shoot landscapes and I'm searching for tiny details in my pictures. So I hope this camera will match my needs.  

Thank you for your answers.
best regards
Thomas
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS on December 22, 2008, 02:51:04 pm
Here are few additional items reflecting changes from H3D to H3DII, the first few were included in a previous post.


Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: jecxz on December 22, 2008, 03:12:26 pm
And you cannot attach a film back to the H3DII.

Kind regards,
Derek
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS on December 22, 2008, 04:04:52 pm
Quote from: jecxz
And you cannot attach a film back to the H3DII.

Kind regards,
Derek

Derek

Thank you, that is correct.

Paul
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: phoTOMgraphy on December 23, 2008, 08:24:45 am
thank you,
what about the software - "phocus"? is it available/usable also for the h3d? because the cam i bought comes without the original software.  

and a major thing: how to deal with dust on the sensor? what are you doing to prevent/fix this problem?

regards
thomas
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: Dustbak on December 23, 2008, 09:40:00 am
The software can be downloaded from the Hasselblad website. You can opt to use Phocus or Flexcolor. Go to the website, create a user account and in the software section you can download the software.

Dust or dirt on the sensor is taken off pretty easily. Try blowing it off first. Use things like pec-pads with eclips, lens fluid or ewipes only when blowing it off has not been succesful.

I have had a back with fungul growth on the IR filter but this seems to be a lesser issue with the newer type of filters (at least less people complain about it). These spots were impossible to either blow or wipe off.
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS on December 23, 2008, 10:01:21 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
thank you,
what about the software - "phocus"? is it available/usable also for the h3d? because the cam i bought comes without the original software.  

and a major thing: how to deal with dust on the sensor? what are you doing to prevent/fix this problem?

regards
thomas

Hi Thomas

Yes, Phocus will work with H1D, H2D, H3D and H3DII as well as CF, CFII, CFMS, CFIIMS, CFV, CFVII backs.

How to deal with dust on the sensor? I suggest removing the back and cleaning the protective filter prior to shooting. There are a number excellent products on the markets currently, I use eWipes. I am sure other members can chime in with additional suggestions and solutions.

what are you doing to prevent/fix this problem? I don't see that there is a problem to fix especially in the 4th generation H3DII. Dust can and will be a problem with any digital solution whether it be small format DSLR or a Medium Format system and is also dependent on the environment one is photographing in. This is one reason though that Hasselblad made a change in design on the H3DII and removing the internal fan and vents on the right and left side of the digital magazine and utilizing a Heat Sink to Dissipate heat generated by the CCD.

Paul
Title: main differences between H3D 39 and H3DII 39?
Post by: jecxz on December 23, 2008, 11:41:08 am
Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
thank you,
what about the software - "phocus"? is it available/usable also for the h3d? because the cam i bought comes without the original software.  

and a major thing: how to deal with dust on the sensor? what are you doing to prevent/fix this problem?

regards
thomas

I beleive you will like Phocus, whether you use PC or Mac; Hasselblad has invested considerable time and effort at creating this software and I believe they have done a good job. I find that most of my time is spent in Phocus, preparing my photographs for minor edits in Photoshop.

As for dust on the glass, this will occur with any optical device. Do not touch the sensor or glass and get it professionally cleaned when necessary. Use a non-compressed air blower to remove dust particles. Dust is a fact of life.

Either way you go, I think the H is a fantastic system and I highly recommend it. Be well.

Kind regards,
Derek