Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on December 17, 2008, 05:46:19 pm

Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 17, 2008, 05:46:19 pm
Dear all,

I have started to play with Smartobjects in CS3, and found some surprising behaviours. I have not checked yet with CS4.

The Free tranform tool doesn't behave the same way when applied to a smart object. The move of corners (Control - drag) appears to be buggy compared to the normal behaviour. Ctrl click on a corner does normally only more that corner, but there are cases when the whole side moves (as if the middle handle were used), besides the distorsion of the image appears to be somehow more important.

Is this per the spec or a known issue?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: teddillard on December 17, 2008, 06:12:52 pm
hmmm.  Running OSX 10.5 and CS4, Command (Apple) click and drag to a corner in Free Transform moves only that corner...  (CTRL bings up a menu)

mebbee a windows thing?
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 17, 2008, 06:32:17 pm
Quote from: teddillard
hmmm.  Running OSX 10.5 and CS4, Command (Apple) click and drag to a corner in Free Transform moves only that corner...  (CTRL bings up a menu)

mebbee a windows thing?

My bad, I meant CS3 on OS 10.5.6. I have not updated this Mac to CS4, need to try again in CS4 on my other Mac. I'll edit my original post to reflect this.

By the way, the first 2 corners are OK, things get strange from the 3rd or 4th.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: teddillard on December 17, 2008, 07:34:19 pm
Quote from: BernardLanguillier
My bad, I meant CS3 on OS 10.5.6. I have not updated this Mac to CS4, need to try again in CS4 on my other Mac. I'll edit my original post to reflect this.

By the way, the first 2 corners are OK, things get strange from the 3rd or 4th.

Cheers,
Bernard

hrmmm.  i got all 4 to work fine.  (CS4)
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 18, 2008, 08:26:10 pm
Quote from: teddillard
hrmmm.  i got all 4 to work fine.  (CS4)

Yep, I have just checked on CS4, and does indeed work fine.

Probably just an old CS3 glitch.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: teddillard on December 19, 2008, 09:50:27 am
Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Yep, I have just checked on CS4, and does indeed work fine.

Probably just an old CS3 glitch.

Cheers,
Bernard

good to know...  thanks for posting the followup
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: Jann Lipka on December 22, 2008, 02:08:28 am
Bernard,
SO free transform behavior is simply improved with CS4 .

CS3 was limited with this .
(  = It is not a bug  or glitch )
Very important improvement for me .
Title: Free transform and smart objects question
Post by: BernardLanguillier on December 22, 2008, 02:25:33 am
Quote from: Jann Lipka
Bernard,
SO free transform behavior is simply improved with CS4 .

CS3 was limited with this .
(  = It is not a bug  or glitch )
Very important improvement for me .

Yes, free transform on Smartobjects, the standard free transform was already working just fine with CS3.

Cheers,
Bernard