Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: JoanneMead on December 17, 2008, 04:34:10 pm
-
Hi
I'm afraid I'm confused. I've been using Lightroom (and ACR), but I've never tinkered with the camera calibration tab at all. I'm confused by these camera profiles as all I see are the Adobe standard, plus some others eg. camera faithful - or does the fact they are model specific go without saying.
I use several different cameras at the moment - should I be seeing something different in the profile thing. I haven't made full use of Lightroom's capability on the basis that if I'm getting decent results by allowing Lightroom/ACR to do its own thing with the camera calibration, so have had no real urge to change it. Yes, I've got Martin Evening's big fat books but I've been busy and haven't had a chance to sit down and learn all the detail. Hopefully I shall begin to do this over my two-week break from work over Christmas and New Year.
It's time to start getting my head around this!
Jo
-
Yes they are model specific, depending on camera make and model you will get different options, faithfull, vivid or whatever, they reproduce the in camera custom profiles that can be set for the jpeg setting.
Rather annoyingly the Nikon ones come with numbers not with vivid etc, although thats nikons fault not adobes. Wayne
-
Yes they are model specific, depending on camera make and model you will get different options, faithfull, vivid or whatever, they reproduce the in camera custom profiles that can be set for the jpeg setting.
Rather annoyingly the Nikon ones come with numbers not with vivid etc, although thats nikons fault not adobes. Wayne
Nikon has Vivid, Standard, Neutral, and Monochrome. D2XModes 1, 2, and 3 can be added to newer camera models. Many Nikon shooters prefer using the D2X profiles with their D3/D300.
-
Strange, mine showed up as the d2x thingy, but I can't remember which Nikon I was using at the time (it might have been the d2x model camera) Wayne
-
Strange, mine showed up as the d2x thingy, but I can't remember which Nikon I was using at the time (it might have been the d2x model camera) Wayne
My D3 has Picture Controls for those I mentioned above and I added the former D2XModes. Actually, the final Adobe profiles are better than the D2X profiles. I will probably not use them in the future as a post processing starting point.
-
My D3 has Picture Controls for those I mentioned above and I added the former D2XModes. Actually, the final Adobe profiles are better than the D2X profiles. I will probably not use them in the future as a post processing starting point.
This helps somewhat - but I too am confused with this plethora of profile choices. Can someone please point me to an explanation of the differences in profiles for Nikon (D300 in my case)? It is quite difficult to review the alternative profiles side-by-side in LR...
Thanks!
Mark
-
This helps somewhat - but I too am confused with this plethora of profile choices. Can someone please point me to an explanation of the differences in profiles for Nikon (D300 in my case)? It is quite difficult to review the alternative profiles side-by-side in LR...
Thanks!
Mark
Mark, with Canon they mimic (quite well) the Canon's software "picture styles' for the DSLRs, DPP. My understanding was that the Nikon profiles did the same with their software and choices 'in camera'. I'd start there and check out what others say about the Nikon profiles (in camera choices), perhaps the software. With Canon if you shoot RAW you can choose a profile in camera but it doesn't affect, of course, the image--but will affect the histogram since its based on the jpeg. However, if you open the RAW in DPP the choice you made will be reflected and you can choose one of the others. This never really affected me since I always shot RAW and didn't use DPP. However, others felt that the mfg. software did a better job with colors--i.e., skin, red, etc. thus the 'mimicing' of the 'picture styles. My understanding was that the Nikon folks felt the same.
I have set my LR profile for 'neutral' as default but have all the others as presets where I can see them in the 'navigator' window in LR simply by hovering over them with my mouse/graphics pen.
Hope this helps.
Diane
-
However, if you open the RAW in DPP the choice you made will be reflected and you can choose one of the others. This never really affected me since I always shot RAW and didn't use DPP. However, others felt that the mfg. software did a better job with colors--i.e., skin, red, etc. thus the 'mimicing' of the 'picture styles. My understanding was that the Nikon folks felt the same.
Thanks Diane- sounds like a plan. I will roll up my sleeves and see what Nikon Capture NX can bring. I did see the small navigator window changing, but could not tell much from that.
Mark