Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: G.A. Sebastian on December 17, 2008, 04:09:34 am

Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 17, 2008, 04:09:34 am
Hello,
I have a HC50 of Hasselblad, and after a try find it very soft and without much in contrast as F5.6 aperture. Until you upload to F10 does not shine. With the HC80I have good quality at F4. Someone who has the HC50 can confirm?
Thank you
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: Dustbak on December 17, 2008, 10:18:50 am
I have one and don't have this phenomena. Yes it improves when stopping down but wide open I can't say I find my copy soft and lacking of contrast.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: jecxz on December 17, 2008, 10:41:15 am
I shoot often with the 50mm and have not noticed a focus issue.

I've been using my 50mm since 2005.

Kind regards,
Derek
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 17, 2008, 11:42:24 am
Thanks a lot. I've just upload crops 100%.
At center the difference is not as marked as F5 to F10, but in the corners the difference is unacceptable, at least to my eyes.
I think I have a bad copy of HC50.
If you can see the crops could you give me an opinion?
Thanks.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 17, 2008, 11:48:06 am
Another crops

Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 17, 2008, 11:49:21 am
At center it's no so bad at F5

Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 17, 2008, 11:55:56 am
I've made a comparative with Canon 35mmF1.4 +1dsMkIII (only show a crop in a corner)
Well, I don't want to start any dispute between dsrl and MF, it's simply because it had no focal to compare it. My HC80 is better versus 50F1.4 canon, for example.    
it is only by providing more data that can be concluded that 50 I have is a bad copy and indeed the HC50 is behaving much better.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on December 17, 2008, 06:21:07 pm
Are you using Manual or AF?

If Manual are you focussing by eye or with the indicators in the viewfinder?

Best,


David

Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: rethmeier on December 17, 2008, 06:44:47 pm
The HC50 is well known to be an average lens.
The HC50-100 zoom at 50 outperforms the HC50.
Same can be said for the HC35.
The HC28 is superior .

Cheers,

WR.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on December 18, 2008, 02:49:24 am
Quote from: rethmeier
The HC50 is well known to be an average lens.
The HC50-100 zoom at 50 outperforms the HC50.
Same can be said for the HC35.
The HC28 is superior .

Cheers,

WR.

To me the shot looks simply out of focus.

Hence my question on manual or AF.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 18, 2008, 03:55:56 am
No out of focus... please. With the indicators in the viewfinder, with the mirror up and trigger.
Shoot with tripod, focus is the same at the two shoots at F5 and F10. Why F5 is so blurry and F10 is oK with the same focus point?
I've tested with another shoots (a lansdscape) and it's the same problem.
I wish I had tried the test with zoom (as before but returned it because it was very heavy). I thought that a fixed focal as 50 would give me a good grade. That is why I wonder whether it is normal or it may be my copy.
Thanks.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on December 18, 2008, 10:29:10 am
Quote from: G.A. Sebastian
No out of focus... please. With the indicators in the viewfinder, with the mirror up and trigger.
Shoot with tripod, focus is the same at the two shoots at F5 and F10. Why F5 is so blurry and F10 is oK with the same focus point?
I've tested with another shoots (a lansdscape) and it's the same problem.
I wish I had tried the test with zoom (as before but returned it because it was very heavy). I thought that a fixed focal as 50 would give me a good grade. That is why I wonder whether it is normal or it may be my copy.
Thanks.

Did you focus with the camera set at f5 or f10?

Try a test... Set the camera to f5, focus, then capture.

Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G_Allen on December 18, 2008, 11:38:52 am
Something is definitely off with your lens. My 50mm tested slightly better than the zoom, and is super sharp between f3.5-8, and very slightly less at 11 and 16. It's my favorite lens for the H.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: ixpressraf on December 18, 2008, 11:53:36 am
maybe it is because you are very close to the newspaper. the distance between the lens and the center of the newspaper is consideretely shorter than the on to the sides of that newspaper. at f10 it gets compensated by the apperture. maybe, jus a guess.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: G.A. Sebastian on December 19, 2008, 04:22:32 am
Thank you all for your answers.
David, I did the first focus at F5, shot, and then, without moving the focus back to shoot F10. With a tripod, mirror up.
I did other tests shooting at a building that was considerably farther, more than 30 meters. And the result was the same. In the corners the quality was very poor at F5.
Finally I/ve returned the lens. I want to believe that its quality is higher, like the HC150 and HC80 already have.
I don't know if waiting for the new zoom HC 35-90.
What do you think David? Does the quality of the new 35-90 match for prime lenses like the HC50? What's price and availability of purchase?
Thanks very much.
Title: Hasselblad HC50/3.5
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on December 19, 2008, 05:07:47 am
Quote from: G.A. Sebastian
Thank you all for your answers.
David, I did the first focus at F5, shot, and then, without moving the focus back to shoot F10. With a tripod, mirror up.
I did other tests shooting at a building that was considerably farther, more than 30 meters. And the result was the same. In the corners the quality was very poor at F5.
Finally I/ve returned the lens. I want to believe that its quality is higher, like the HC150 and HC80 already have.
I don't know if waiting for the new zoom HC 35-90.
What do you think David? Does the quality of the new 35-90 match for prime lenses like the HC50? What's price and availability of purchase?
Thanks very much.

In that case I would compare another lens with your dealer.  Maybe it was damaged in transit and something is misaligned?

The 35-90 is available next year and the quality is quite stunning.  It is smaller than the 50-110 and has very fast and responsive AF.  So it depends really if you want the extra range, and of course a larger lens than the prime lens equivalents.

Best,


David