Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: ChrisJR on November 28, 2008, 07:32:13 pm

Title: 617 Fotoman camera, any good?
Post by: ChrisJR on November 28, 2008, 07:32:13 pm
In late January I'll be travelling around Taiwan for three weeks and I'm looking at buying a 617 camera to capture some of the stunning scenery there.. The Linhof is right at the far end of my budget but I was looking at the Fotoman cameras... http://www.rodmclean.co.uk/Artist.asp?Arti...p;Akey=9A789DKQ (http://www.rodmclean.co.uk/Artist.asp?ArtistID=6442&Akey=9A789DKQ)

Has anyone used these? Are they any good?

Thanks
Chris
Title: 617 Fotoman camera, any good?
Post by: JohnBrew on November 30, 2008, 05:15:57 pm
Quote from: ChrisJR
In late January I'll be travelling around Taiwan for three weeks and I'm looking at buying a 617 camera to capture some of the stunning scenery there.. The Linhof is right at the far end of my budget but I was looking at the Fotoman cameras... http://www.rodmclean.co.uk/Artist.asp?Arti...p;Akey=9A789DKQ (http://www.rodmclean.co.uk/Artist.asp?ArtistID=6442&Akey=9A789DKQ)

Has anyone used these? Are they any good?

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris, not sure why this question is in the digital category since we are discussing a film camera here, but I'll try to assist. I have no experience with the 617, but with the 612. The 612 was not my cup of tea due to several problems I had. I'd say 50% of the problems were me, the other 50% the camera. They are capable of producing breath taking images as seen on the Fotoman website. If you typically use a tripod and much contemplation and patience with your shots, then I believe you'll do fine with the 617. I would read the user experience on their website as he points out the eccentricities of the camera of which there are several.
I eventually went with the Fotoman 69 as it better reflects what type of production I need and I am very satisfied with this product. IMO, the quality of the Fotoman product is without reproach.
Good luck.
John
Title: 617 Fotoman camera, any good?
Post by: tamerlin on December 03, 2008, 01:14:03 pm
You might want to poke around on the largeformatphotography.info forum as well; the Fotoman cameras come up there fairly often, and are generally well-liked. There are also competitors in a similar price range, including Gaoersi, that might be worth looking into. Or you could get a used wooden 5x7 and a 6x17 rollfilm back and a used LF lens or two and have full movements for potentially a smaller investment, although it would be a bit bulkier