Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: geotzo on November 26, 2008, 03:43:00 am

Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: geotzo on November 26, 2008, 03:43:00 am
There is a project of mine that I have been struggling to fit around my boring studio work for a few years now.
How bad is it to feel like you cannot find time and/or motivation to finish projects you ve started...
Anyway, this is one of the nearly finished images, shot with a ds mkiii 6 times, then merged into one image as HDR
and finished in ps.
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 26, 2008, 11:15:54 am
I like it! The effect is very ghostly and expressive.
Iit would be nice to see a larger version.

Eric
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: jani on November 26, 2008, 07:58:31 pm
It's kind of cool for an artificial image, but at this size, it's definitely a dime-a-dozen, and you can get higher quality artificial-looking by playing almost any modern computer game or viewing the results of a raytracing competition.

It's possible that your image does have some merit in itself, but at this size, it's really impossible to say.
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: geotzo on November 27, 2008, 03:25:57 am
I hope this is large enough [attachment=9897:5959.jpg]
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: mahleu on November 27, 2008, 04:17:01 am
I like it. It could almost pass as a long night exposure. Of course you may as well add a large moon in the top right...
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: jani on November 28, 2008, 04:02:30 am
I'm not sure. The slightly larger image has some of the same as my first impression, but now I think I know what made it: it appears over-sharpened. Although good, it doesn't suspend my disbelief in the scene; an unreal (computer-generated) house in front of an over-dramatic sky.

It's clearly a lot of work to make it look as close to real as this is, though, and I commend that effort.

But perhaps you should do something about the shrubbery in front of the house and replace it with something else?
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: Ray on November 28, 2008, 05:37:13 am
On my calibrated monitor, the post processing doesn't look right. I get the impression you've used shadow/highlight with an inappropriate tonal width and pixel radius, or something like that.
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: Ray on November 28, 2008, 06:08:56 am
On my monitor, the following result looks more natural.

[attachment=9944:5959_processed.jpg]
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: dalethorn on November 28, 2008, 06:05:51 pm
This photo went from Andy Warhol to Dracula's castle. Seems like more than a mere adjustment.
Title: Somewhere somehow
Post by: geotzo on December 01, 2008, 09:52:07 am
Quote from: Ray
On my calibrated monitor, the post processing doesn't look right. I get the impression you've used shadow/highlight with an inappropriate tonal width and pixel radius, or something like that.

No filter like that was applied, as said it is mainly HDR blend work on a few different shots