Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: Rick_Allen on November 24, 2008, 03:55:25 am
-
I know that I'm going to sound like an idiot but I keep seeing ref. to people shooting exposures of 1 and 2 minutes with the Mark3. Is there a technique I'm not aware of?
-
I know that I'm going to sound like an idiot but I keep seeing ref. to people shooting exposures of 1 and 2 minutes with the Mark3. Is there a technique I'm not aware of?
Bulb and a cable release. In the manual modes its the shutter speed after 30 secs and basically takes a picture for as long as the shutter button is pushed.
-
You seriously own a 1DS3 and don't know how to take an exposure longer than 30 seconds? For some reason I find a lot of humor in this, but it's nothing personal, and I mean that. I think that if you're really serious and not joking with us, which would be a pretty good spoof post I'd have to admit, you'll laugh at it yourself for many reason you may be unaware of right now.
But anyway, since I'm a nice guy, I'll make you a deal. I'll tell you how to modify the parts you need to modify and take long exposures and take the time to write out the instructions if you'll send me some of that money you have floating around so I can purchase this turbine boat I saw on Utube that I really liked, but cost more than I'll make in two lifetimes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHoAcxJ45GI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHoAcxJ45GI)
It outruns the chase copter filming it. Jet engine powered at 212MPH
I'm seriously thinking about going to Florida next hear to photograph this boat. I'm not really interested in fast lane lifestyles, but this boat is very pretty.
-
Thanks guys I guess I've been locked up in the studio too long. For some reason I thought the canon and Leaf Afi shared the same exposure limitation. Cool. Never needed to shoot longer than 30sec so far but for sure I'll have a go.
-
Thanks guys I guess I've been locked up in the studio too long. For some reason I thought the canon and Leaf Afi shared the same exposure limitation. Cool. Never needed to shoot longer than 30sec so far but for sure I'll have a go.
Do you still want that manual in exchange for the boat?
-
You seriously own a 1DS3 and don't know how to take an exposure longer than 30 seconds? For some reason I find a lot of humor in this, but it's nothing personal, and I mean that. I think that if you're really serious and not joking with us, which would be a pretty good spoof post I'd have to admit, you'll laugh at it yourself for many reason you may be unaware of right now.
But anyway, since I'm a nice guy, I'll make you a deal. I'll tell you how to modify the parts you need to modify and take long exposures and take the time to write out the instructions if you'll send me some of that money you have floating around so I can purchase this turbine boat I saw on Utube that I really liked, but cost more than I'll make in two lifetimes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHoAcxJ45GI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHoAcxJ45GI)
It outruns the chase copter filming it. Jet engine powered at 212MPH
I'm seriously thinking about going to Florida next hear to photograph this boat. I'm not really interested in fast lane lifestyles, but this boat is very pretty.
????????????????????
Now that you've finished calling someone stupid, what has your boat fetish got to do with anything.
-
I've found that it's very difficult to ever take anyone who wears a beret seriously.
-
oh good it wasnt just me that thought his comments were rude.
-
oh good it wasnt just me that thought his comments were rude.
Before this turns into a thread of personal attacks, I think Doug might want to apologize. Even though he stated he meatn no harm, I personally find it rather disturbing that he would write something so "Jon Wienkeesque" - heck, even Jeff Schewe, who shoots straight from the hip isn't so rude. As a "lurker" who has read most of Doug's posts from the first day he posted here I can only say...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and I'll leave it at that.
Joe DeVico
-
????????????????????
Now that you've finished calling someone stupid, what has your boat fetish got to do with anything.
Because it wasn't calling anyone stupid, as I made plainly clear, it was friendly joking. The boat part is a tribute to the tongue in cheek comments I was making, because of course the OP would not pay me to buy that boat for simply saying the word "bulb."
And you guys blew it. i could have maybe gotten a boat out of the deal--this is a joke, just to make positively sure, here.
and if I offended the OP, I hope he can see my humor, and that I was in no way trying to be an asshat.
On the other hand, if I did offend him, then of course I apologize for that. As I wrote this I was thinking that it could be taken as mean spirited, but at the same time I got a smile out of it, not because I'm mean, but because I've asked lots of questions like this. Well, at least some anyway. And I can laugh.
Again, I was just joking in a friendly way, and there is no reason to blow this out of proportion or context.
And last, just for those who are not satisfied with the above apology and explanation, I will again apologize to the OP if I have offended him.
I wonder if we can drop this now?
-
I've found that it's very difficult to ever take anyone who wears a beret seriously.
LOL. I know, sometimes I look at myself in the mirror when I'm dressing in the morning and say to myself, "What the F%$! is that on your head you idiot?"
-
Before this turns into a thread of personal attacks, I think Doug might want to apologize. Even though he stated he meatn no harm, I personally find it rather disturbing that he would write something so "Jon Wienkeesque" - heck, even Jeff Schewe, who shoots straight from the hip isn't so rude. As a "lurker" who has read most of Doug's posts from the first day he posted here I can only say...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, and I'll leave it at that.
Joe DeVico
Or better yet, people in glass houses who can laugh at themselves can also find humor in others in the same way--w/o any malicious intent what-so-ever. And if you have truly read all of my posts, you would also see that I don't shoot people down for the fun of it. I have a good track record in that area.
-
LOL. I know, sometimes I look at myself in the mirror when I'm dressing in the morning and say to myself, "What the F%$! is that on your head you idiot?"
Glad we're on the same page
-
Hi Rick. You probably know this already but just in case...
Set the iso to max and shoot the scene. Read off the exposure in seconds. Say your iso was 3200, you'd have to halve that 5 times to get 100 iso. Set your iso to 100 and multiply your exposure figure by 5 and go. David
Edit: oops, double your exposure 5 times
-
Hi Rick. You probably know this already but just in case...
Set the iso to max and shoot the scene. Read off the exposure in seconds. Say your iso was 3200, you'd have to halve that 5 times to get 100 iso. Set your iso to 100 and multiply your exposure figure by 5 and go. David
Edit: oops, double your exposure 5 times
That's a good rule of thumb, and maybe the only one? Let's say you need an exposure for longer than the max exposure at a given fstop, say f2.8 at 30 second at ISO 3200. That would give you an exposure of 16 minutes @ ISO 100. So it will work for up to a 16 second exposure. After this it would be guess work because you run out of in camera light meter readings after 30 seconds.
I'd like to know how to calculate longer exposure than that, because it would save me a lot of time getting the exposure right. If your correct exposure is 22 minutes, and you have to shoot two or three times to get it right, that's over an hour before you get your first shot.
I wonder if there are tables given moonlight from full/half/qrt moons and specific stops and ISOs when you run out of in camera ISO+30 seconds?
I'm wondering if i can use my Sekonic meter to get lumens and then calculate lumens to a correct exposure? I'm assuming the lumen output for the meter would not go that low.
-
LOL. I know, sometimes I look at myself in the mirror when I'm dressing in the morning and say to myself, "What the F%$! is that on your shoulders you idiot?"
(apologies! )