Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: jfsavage on November 18, 2008, 07:11:56 am

Title: Infrared lens list?
Post by: jfsavage on November 18, 2008, 07:11:56 am
Does anyone have a list of lenses and their suitability for IR? I have found this list - http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html#lenses (http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html#lenses) and I was looking for others.
Title: Infrared lens list?
Post by: Panopeeper on November 18, 2008, 10:54:09 am
I saw a list for example here (http://irphotocom.proboards49.com/index.cgi)

However, I saw contradicting qualifications, and that makes me wonder if this is not a myth all together, i.e. if a specific lens model can not be designated as suitable or not suitable for IR. Perhaps this is a characteristic of the individual copy.
Title: Infrared lens list?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on November 20, 2008, 07:01:17 am
Quote from: Panopeeper
I saw a list for example here (http://irphotocom.proboards49.com/index.cgi)

However, I saw contradicting qualifications, and that makes me wonder if this is not a myth all together, i.e. if a specific lens model can not be designated as suitable or not suitable for IR. Perhaps this is a characteristic of the individual copy.

There's a good list of Canon lenses and their suitability for infrared here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38272 (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38272)
I've used about half of these lenses on an Eos-1Ds modified to shoot only infrared, and it's quite an accurate list in my experience. The biggest issue is always flare; the interaction of lens design (the actual configuration of elements) and coatings in some lenses really enhances infrared flare and produces very obvious flare circles & ghosts with specific optics, while others work very well. To my regret, Canon's otherwise optically fabulous 70-200 f:2.8 IS lens is awful for infrared, with nasty flare in almost any shot taken in sunlight.
Title: Infrared lens list?
Post by: kaelaria on November 21, 2008, 08:30:42 pm
Son of a ....I had no clue lenses even had an effect.  Now I know why I get hotspots!!

Thanks for this thread!
Title: Infrared lens list?
Post by: Lester on November 21, 2008, 10:34:28 pm
Quote from: Geoff Wittig
There's a good list of Canon lenses and their suitability for infrared here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38272 (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38272)
I've used about half of these lenses on an Eos-1Ds modified to shoot only infrared, and it's quite an accurate list in my experience. The biggest issue is always flare; the interaction of lens design (the actual configuration of elements) and coatings in some lenses really enhances infrared flare and produces very obvious flare circles & ghosts with specific optics, while others work very well. To my regret, Canon's otherwise optically fabulous 70-200 f:2.8 IS lens is awful for infrared, with nasty flare in almost any shot taken in sunlight.


Great list, I been using the 35mm Nikkor lenses, but this list will help me a lot. I have a 5D converted into IR only.