Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on November 17, 2008, 03:16:17 pm

Title: Floating
Post by: Rob C on November 17, 2008, 03:16:17 pm
Michael

Interesting image - a water-rose; flotsam or jetsam?

I firmly believe, as I have stated often, that your eye for this sort of thing is far more developed than you might think; it is a dimension so much more exciting than landscape which is, after all, but a copy/recording of a far greater author“s work. Unless, of course, you really, really believe in the brutal if simplistic notion of a Big Bang.

Love it.

Rob C
Title: Floating
Post by: michael on November 17, 2008, 06:18:21 pm
Rob,

Thanks.

In fact "this sort of thing", as you put it, is a large percentage of what I shoot. But it's mostly private work and is rarely put on the web site, exhibited, or published.

Maybe one day I'll do a collection.

Michael
Title: Floating
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 17, 2008, 06:52:09 pm
Quote from: michael
Rob,

Thanks.

In fact "this sort of thing", as you put it, is a large percentage of what I shoot. But it's mostly private work and is rarely put on the web site, exhibited, or published.

Maybe one day I'll do a collection.

Michael
Michael,

I share Rob's enthusiasm for "this sort of thing", and I would love to see an exhibit or book of your more personal fovorites.

Eric
Title: Floating
Post by: AdrianL on November 17, 2008, 08:20:58 pm
Wow!!! What a wonderfull photo.  This site just gets better all the time.
Title: Floating
Post by: John Camp on November 17, 2008, 09:58:30 pm
That is one of the more interesting photos you've put up, IMHO; it has an odd Japanese aesthetic about it.
I would be interested to know if you made more than one exposure, and how you made any cropping decisions that would include or exclude any of the other objects in the phone. Did you, or have you considered, cloning any of the other objects out?

JC
Title: Floating
Post by: michael on November 18, 2008, 01:40:23 am
The shot was a single exposure, just metered with a real-time histogram to avoid blowing the highlights ( a nice feature of the Panasonic G1). I took about 3 shots with slightly different framing.

The end result was a minor crop (a bit off the top) and a desaturation of the yellow channel, to make the floating leaves more monochromatic. No cloning or anything else other than normal sharpening.

Michael