Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: allenbirnbach on November 03, 2008, 02:26:33 pm

Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: allenbirnbach on November 03, 2008, 02:26:33 pm
Up until now, I've been printing on Epson premium glossy 11x17 paper for my portfolio on an Epson R1800.  Now I want print on a double sided paper to eliminate the acetate sleeves I've had to use until now.

Epson doesn't make a double-sided paper, so I need advice on other options.  The quality has to be very good, since art buyers and art directors will judge my work based on it.  My work is landscape and people in landscape, both color and black and white (http://www.allenbirnbach.com).  Premium glossy was great for color, not so good for showing the fine art quality of my black and white.  

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: erictoddjohnson on November 04, 2008, 09:39:12 am
I can't recommend a glossy paper, but I've been using Inkpress Duo Matte 80 for most of my B&W printing (from an Epson 2400), and am very happy with it.
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: allenbirnbach on November 04, 2008, 09:42:27 am
Thanks for the input. Is the surface smooth or textured?  Is the base white white or creme?


Quote from: erictoddjohnson
I can't recommend a glossy paper, but I've been using Inkpress Duo Matte 80 for most of my B&W printing (from an Epson 2400), and am very happy with it.
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: erictoddjohnson on November 04, 2008, 10:38:10 am
It has a smooth matte finish and a white base.  

Here a link to more info:  http://inkpresspaper.com/profiles.asp?PaperID=8 (http://inkpresspaper.com/profiles.asp?PaperID=8)

They also have a double sided semi-gloss paper, but I have not used it.

Eric
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: Wayne Fox on November 04, 2008, 01:45:36 pm
Inkjetart.com has their own line of papers, and several are double sided.  I know they have a couple that are very close to Epson Luster papers. I've seen samples of their papers and they seem good.  I've never used them personally ...

Here's one example

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/micro-cerami..._1151_1153.html (http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/micro-ceramic-luster-c-1_753_850_1151_1153.html)
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: rdonson on November 04, 2008, 07:01:07 pm
I don't have experience with dual sided glossy papers but I can recommend Moab Entrada.  Its available in natural and bright and has a pleasing texture similar to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag.  It works well on my HP Z 3100 and my older Epson UltraChrome.
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: mmurph on November 05, 2008, 10:23:46 am
Quote from: rdonson
I don't have experience with dual sided glossy papers but I can recommend Moab Entrada.

Lost Luggage sells pre-punched and scored Moab Entrada for portfolio use.

I am still using that. I will probably migrate to one of the newer baryta papers on single-sided though. They are just too good to pass up.


Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: Peter McLennan on November 05, 2008, 10:40:27 am
Quote from: Wayne Fox
Inkjetart.com has their own line of papers, and several are double sided.  I know they have a couple that are very close to Epson Luster papers. I've seen samples of their papers and they seem good.  I've never used them personally ...

Here's one example

http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/micro-cerami..._1151_1153.html (http://www.inkjetart.com/cart/micro-ceramic-luster-c-1_753_850_1151_1153.html)


I use their Duo-Brite Matte Premium exclusively in letter size and 17X22.   No complaints other than some very minor size issues.  An associate uses the micro-ceramic lustre and loves it, too.
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: Bill Caulfeild-Browne on November 05, 2008, 08:19:20 pm
Quote from: allenbirnbach
Up until now, I've been printing on Epson premium glossy 11x17 paper for my portfolio on an Epson R1800.  Now I want print on a double sided paper to eliminate the acetate sleeves I've had to use until now.

Epson doesn't make a double-sided paper, so I need advice on other options.  The quality has to be very good, since art buyers and art directors will judge my work based on it.  My work is landscape and people in landscape, both color and black and white (http://www.allenbirnbach.com).  Premium glossy was great for color, not so good for showing the fine art quality of my black and white.  

Any recommendations would be appreciated.


Canon Heavy Weight Fine Art Matte (360 gsm) is a very nice paper. It is not sold as double-sided but I can't tell the difference one side from the other - unprinted upon or printed on! I use it in 17 by 22.
Bill
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: photobadger on November 05, 2008, 09:51:56 pm
Quote from: billcb
Canon Heavy Weight Fine Art Matte (360 gsm) is a very nice paper. It is not sold as double-sided but I can't tell the difference one side from the other - unprinted upon or printed on! I use it in 17 by 22.
Bill

Premier Art has a C2S (coated 2 sides) version of Epson Ultrasmooth that I buy at atlex. If you like the Epson Ultrasmooth, you like it, if not ...

http://www.atlex.com/premier/fine-art-205.htm (http://www.atlex.com/premier/fine-art-205.htm)

Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: allenbirnbach on November 08, 2008, 11:46:58 am
I'm not familiar with the Ultrasmooth.  Is it semi-gloss, luster or matte?

I've been using Atlex for a long time. A good resource until now for Epson inks and papers.

Quote from: photobadger
Premier Art has a C2S (coated 2 sides) version of Epson Ultrasmooth that I buy at atlex. If you like the Epson Ultrasmooth, you like it, if not ...

http://www.atlex.com/premier/fine-art-205.htm (http://www.atlex.com/premier/fine-art-205.htm)
Title: Double-sided paper for portfolio prints
Post by: mmurph on November 09, 2008, 07:25:33 pm
Quote from: allenbirnbach
I'm not familiar with the Ultrasmooth.  Is it semi-gloss, luster or matte?

Matte

Quote
I've been using Atlex for a long time. A good resource until now for Epson inks and papers.

Midwest Photo Exchange is very good. Shipping is usually free, which brings their prices under Atlex.  Excellent small shop with very good customer service, especially via phone.

www.mpex.com

Booksmart Studio and Shades of Paper both have broader stock and more specialty items. They are both excellent:

www.booksmartstudio.com/store/

www.shadesofpaper.com

Best,
Michael