Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Greg D on October 27, 2008, 02:11:44 pm

Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: Greg D on October 27, 2008, 02:11:44 pm
I use a Canon 24-105L on a 450D (Rebel XSi).  The hood (obviously optimized for 24mm) is pretty ineffective.  A slightly deeper one would probably not cause vignetting problems at most focal lengths on this camera, I suppose.  Anyone know of a model that would work?
Thanks
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: mahleu on October 27, 2008, 02:43:19 pm
http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ (http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/)
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: Greg D on October 29, 2008, 12:52:22 pm
Quote from: mahleu
http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ (http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/)

Thanks for that, looks great.  I think I need something a bit more durable than that, but this gives me an idea - cut one out of neoprene.....hmmm......
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: mike.online on October 30, 2008, 10:12:26 am
Quote from: mahleu
http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ (http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/)


Great find. Thanks
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: francois on October 30, 2008, 10:22:57 am
Quote from: grog13
… but this gives me an idea - cut one out of neoprene.....hmmm......
Rubber also works well.
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: Nill Toulme on October 30, 2008, 10:23:35 am
As I recall you should be able to use just about any EW-83 series hood on that lens.  I doubt that any of them will vignette on a 1.6x crop body.  I currently have an EW-83J on mine, and it doesn't appear to vignette noticeably even on the FF 1DsMkII.  Canon seems to be very conservative in their lens hood designs.

Nill
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: Greg D on November 04, 2008, 12:32:37 pm
Quote from: Nill Toulme
As I recall you should be able to use just about any EW-83 series hood on that lens.  I doubt that any of them will vignette on a 1.6x crop body.  I currently have an EW-83J on mine, and it doesn't appear to vignette noticeably even on the FF 1DsMkII.  Canon seems to be very conservative in their lens hood designs.

Nill

 Thanks.  Tried one of those and it seems to work fine.
Title: Canon 24-105L hood
Post by: spidermike on November 05, 2008, 11:25:14 am
Is this link any help to find 3rd party alternatives

http://www.kenro.co.uk/product/LENSHOODS_G...Lens+Hoods.html (http://www.kenro.co.uk/product/LENSHOODS_Group/3/47/Marumi+Lens+Hoods.html)

Mike