Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Greg Hollmann on October 18, 2008, 09:18:53 am
-
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that Hasselblad is showing the new Tilt Shift Adaptor at the Photography show at the International Centre in Toronto all weekend. Come by and take a look!
http://www.hasselblad.se/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx (http://www.hasselblad.se/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx)
Here is the link to the event:
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...splayInitiative (http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?storeId=10001&mrktInitiativeId=3082&dest=show%2Ftoronto_show.jsp&mrktInitName=Currency+Pg+Toronto+Fall+Show+080929&ddkey=DisplayInitiative)
Greg Hollmann
Field Applications Specialist
Hasselblad USA
-
I have an H2 with a Phase P45+ digital back. how will this TS adapter work on this combination? Many thanks, Eleanor
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that Hasselblad is showing the new Tilt Shift Adaptor at the Photography show at the International Centre in Toronto all weekend. Come by and take a look!
http://www.hasselblad.se/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx (http://www.hasselblad.se/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx)
Here is the link to the event:
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...splayInitiative (http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PageDisplay?storeId=10001&mrktInitiativeId=3082&dest=show%2Ftoronto_show.jsp&mrktInitName=Currency+Pg+Toronto+Fall+Show+080929&ddkey=DisplayInitiative)
Greg Hollmann
Field Applications Specialist
Hasselblad USA
-
I have an H2 with a Phase P45+ digital back. how will this TS adapter work on this combination? Many thanks, Eleanor
Eleanor,
This combination will work with the 35, 50, 80, and 100mm lenses.
Greg
-
Does the H2/P45+ combination benefit from the digital corrections and will the tilt & shift combinations be visible in the exif data? I thought that would only work with the H3D & H2/CF.
-
Does the H2/P45+ combination benefit from the digital corrections and will the tilt & shift combinations be visible in the exif data? I thought that would only work with the H3D & H2/CF.
No, the only way to take advantage of the digital corrections is to use an H3D/H2/CF combo. I believe that is true with the EXIF data as well.
-
That is what I thought
-
What kind of lens corrections are we talking about here? I shoot with all Hassy H primes and have never had any gripes. The lenses I use are all superb (35,50,80, 100, 120, and 210) and my 100 is as sharp as it gets. I have the zoom but prefer the primes and rarely use my 120. Only flaw I see is that I get some ever so slight barrel distortion with the wide angles in some cases, but that is easily quickly fixed in Photoshop if necessary. I tried the teleconverter but sent it back and bought the 100 instead, as felt the TC added some slight softness.
Does the tilt shift adaptor introduce distortion, say with the 50-100 lenses? Thanks, Eleanor
No, the only way to take advantage of the digital corrections is to use an H3D/H2/CF combo. I believe that is true with the EXIF data as well.
-
Some of the HC lenses do suffer from CA that is taken care of pretty well with the software as well as distortions (provided you process through Flex/Phocus). I can imagine the HTS introducing or exaggerating lens defects that are already there. I expect the software to correct this as well. Naturally I can be mistaken and the HTS is perfectly neutral without any image deterioration but in my experience there is no such thing as a free lunch.
I have people that sometimes complain about the little green or magenta line around objects (I am not kidding). This is in multishot mode with the 384, in ms mode CA becomes even more apparent I find. This was one of the prime reasons for me to upgrade this back to the CF multishot since that could use the software to get rid of it (as well as the fact it should have a better IR filter). Saves me time having to paint it away in PS.
The difference between the 35 corrected vs. not corrected I find quite pronounced. The ability to get it corrected by the software can sometimes be of immense value saving my time and aggravation (for not having to correct for distortion in PS too much).
The other thing I find of value is the exif data where I can find which tilt&shift settings I have used.
It would be very interesting to know the difference between the HTS used with the P45+ and a Hasselblad back to know how important the software is with it. To know it works is one thing.
-
I use lightroom for all my RAW conversion and could never pull myself away from this application. Have used Phase's Capture One but prefer Lightroom. Also the CA is easily fixed the great majority of the time through Lightroom. I will probably sell my H zoom to help purchase the TS adapter so will report back on the results using the 45+ back. eleanor
Some of the HC lenses do suffer from CA that is taken care of pretty well with the software as well as distortions (provided you process through Flex/Phocus). I can imagine the HTS introducing or exaggerating lens defects that are already there. I expect the software to correct this as well. Naturally I can be mistaken and the HTS is perfectly neutral without any image deterioration but in my experience there is no such thing as a free lunch.
I have people that sometimes complain about the little green or magenta line around objects (I am not kidding). This is in multishot mode with the 384, in ms mode CA becomes even more apparent I find. This was one of the prime reasons for me to upgrade this back to the CF multishot since that could use the software to get rid of it (as well as the fact it should have a better IR filter).
The difference between the 35 corrected vs. not corrected I find quite pronounced. The ability to get it corrected by the software can sometimes be of immense value saving my time and aggravation (for not having to correct for distortion in PS too much).
The other thing I find of value is the exif data where I can find which tilt&shift settings I have used.
It would be very interesting to know the difference between the HTS used with the P45+ and a Hasselblad back to know how important the software is with it. To know it works is one thing.
-
What kind of lens corrections are we talking about here? I shoot with all Hassy H primes and have never had any gripes. The lenses I use are all superb (35,50,80, 100, 120, and 210) and my 100 is as sharp as it gets. I have the zoom but prefer the primes and rarely use my 120. Only flaw I see is that I get some ever so slight barrel distortion with the wide angles in some cases, but that is easily quickly fixed in Photoshop if necessary. I tried the teleconverter but sent it back and bought the 100 instead, as felt the TC added some slight softness.
Does the tilt shift adaptor introduce distortion, say with the 50-100 lenses? Thanks, Eleanor
Hi Eleanor,
The lens require mostly minimal correction. However in the case of the 28 there is more need to correct the distortion. You can read about it here...
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=28651 (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28651)
When you introduce a tilt shift device then the need for corrections will grow. Certainly in terms of CA correction this will become almost impossible to correct in Light Room or other software as the CA will not be linear across the image. ie - the correction needed will be different in different areas. I am not a power LR user so forgive if this IS possible to correct. I am suspecting not though.
Also Vignetting will vary more, distortion will also not be linear.
Bear in mind to correct all this with Hasselblad cameras and software requires simply ticking a box, no other interaction is needed. It depends how much you value your time in front of a computer correcting images.
Best,
David