Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Peter F on October 17, 2008, 11:32:35 am

Title: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
Post by: Peter F on October 17, 2008, 11:32:35 am
Using the search bar in LR2 (Or, is it a filter bar, I can't remember), we have the choice to select certain attributes for searching.  But I can't find focal distance or similar title?  Surely it can filter for this feature.  Right?  Can someone direct me as to where it is?  I think I am looking in the correct area... I found ISO, for example.

Thanks.

Peter F.

(I use an ultrazoom, and I do notice that the EXIF file includes the focal distance information, so I would expect there to be a way to filter for it.)
Title: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
Post by: genemcc on October 19, 2008, 05:54:16 pm
Hey Peter!

Focal Length in not a filtering option. You can use Lens, however. That will give you a range on the zooms. The primes, of course, will be at their stated focal length.

Title: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
Post by: Peter F on October 21, 2008, 02:36:44 pm
Gene,  Thanks.  I was hoping I could use it to find, for example, all pictures shot at a certain focal length since all I have is zooms.  I can do this in the photoshop organizer so am surprised lightroom does not support that function too.

Peter F.

Quote from: Peter F
Using the search bar in LR2 (Or, is it a filter bar, I can't remember), we have the choice to select certain attributes for searching.  But I can't find focal distance or similar title?  Surely it can filter for this feature.  Right?  Can someone direct me as to where it is?  I think I am looking in the correct area... I found ISO, for example.

Thanks.

Peter F.

(I use an ultrazoom, and I do notice that the EXIF file includes the focal distance information, so I would expect there to be a way to filter for it.)
Title: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
Post by: Tklimek on October 22, 2008, 07:00:04 pm
Hmmm...that does seem odd.  You might think since that info is available in LR that you could filter on it.  I was kind of thinking the same thing to myself (once I got all of my images into LR); look at some of my zooms and see where the focal lengths that I really use.  I know there is a 3rd party utility that can extract this info, but I just figured that it would be in LR.

Cheers...

Quote from: Peter F
Gene,  Thanks.  I was hoping I could use it to find, for example, all pictures shot at a certain focal length since all I have is zooms.  I can do this in the photoshop organizer so am surprised lightroom does not support that function too.

Peter F.
Title: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
Post by: genemcc on October 23, 2008, 11:41:59 pm
Yes, that's true. But to be fair, we are only at version 2.1 and already this is one powerful application! Let's give Adobe some time. They've been busy with the CS4 launch for a while. Maybe by 2.5???  
Title: Searching Using attributes: can't find focal length
Post by: jjj on October 25, 2008, 12:28:48 am
Bridge certainly gives you option to filter by focal length. Not something I can think of needing, but there for those for whom it is useful.
Personally I find Bridge much better at sorting through work than LR, as Bridge's filter panel is so much better than LR's recent clunky copy of it.