Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: amsp on October 16, 2008, 03:54:22 am

Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: amsp on October 16, 2008, 03:54:22 am
I just installed it and it seems to be working just fine, only thing I've seen so far is that the lens correction tab is empty for some reason. Which is pretty weird since it worked on the NON pro version.

Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: amsp on October 16, 2008, 03:57:12 am
Hmmm.. color editor doesn't seem to work either.

Edit: Sorry, scratch that. Color editor DOES work. I'll stop posting now till I've tried it some more

Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Guy Mancuso on October 16, 2008, 08:34:11 am
Need a image up for lens tab correction.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Kitty on October 16, 2008, 09:36:12 am
Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Need a image up for lens tab correction.

I have problem with Capture 4.5.
Since first launch the software it keeps asking me (The location of the docutment "Capture One.col45" cannot be determined.)
You can specify where to save it.

When I save as. The software suddenly quit.
If I choose cancel it works for a while and will ask me again when I am going to quit.
Because I could not save as I hit cancel again and the software suddenly quit again.

Very strange. I have 3.7.9 which is very reliable.
I also have 4.1.2 which also has no problem.
I deleted 4.1.2 but still keep 3.7.9

Very strange. Anyone has the same problem?

kitty
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Guy Mancuso on October 16, 2008, 09:45:18 am
Did you folks wipe clean your old C1 from your systems. I wiped everything off first on my Macs, than installed 4.5 . Just curious if this is causing some issue if anything was left on the box. I'm running really well so far on almost everything . i have a one issue with my Mamiya 28mm the sharper corners seems greyed out. Checking on that one. I need to try tethered this morning with my Phase back and body. There is always the chance that not everything will work in 10.4 since it does require 10.5 so some things may have fell off the table also.

I should add I am running 10.5 on my Macs
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: amsp on October 16, 2008, 10:06:28 am
I got the "Capture One.col45" problem too when I first opened the app, and I solved it like this. Under "open recent files" there was two files, I clicked one of those (don't remember which one) and the program said it had to update the file to 4.5, I clicked ok and that fixed it. I've been trying it out and have had no problems at all. I'm not particularly impressed with the program though, the skin tone tool is a joke.

Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Snook on October 16, 2008, 10:25:52 am
Quote from: John Schweikert
I installed Pro on my Macbook with 10.4.11 (uninstalled previous 4.1 version). The app opens, can see an image but sliders don't work, can't zoom in, lens correction tab is empty and much more. Plus the app periodically asks to save the .col file which then crashes the app. So from my experience, it doesn't work at all on Tiger.

I will try to install Leopard over the weekend and see if it then works and how well.

To be honest I was expecting MORE. It looks just like V4.1 and has the same tools that 3.7.9 did but not much that is really forward thinking. It's just catching up with other apps but that hasn't happened either. I don't see how it took a full extra year to put Pro out after V4 when they are pretty much the same. I know more features in Pro but is anyone really going to pay $399 for this app. Buy LR and CS4 upgrade for nearly the same and have 100x more tools. I'm lucky it's just a free upgrade and as such if it doesn't help me as I would like it, no loss.


I am having the same issue..
No controls work at all.. Images load etc.. but everything grey out...
On my iMac it works pretty good..
On my G5 tower is where the problems is...
Glad I am not the only one!

Again no body has tethered yet!!! Too bad my studio is far away or I would go there now to try it!!!
Thanks for any more updates
Snook
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Kitty on October 16, 2008, 10:39:03 am
Quote from: amsp
I got the "Capture One.col45" problem too when I first opened the app, and I solved it like this. Under "open recent files" there was two files, I clicked one of those (don't remember which one) and the program said it had to update the file to 4.5, I clicked ok and that fixed it. I've been trying it out and have had no problems at all. I'm not particularly impressed with the program though, the skin tone tool is a joke.

I could not find any under "open recent files". I guess the .col45 is the new session of Captureone 4.5.
I could not open the old session from 3.7.9 too.
Lens correction menu also blank.
I also could not find R,G,B seperate level or curve.
Quite disappointed. I still prefer old version 3.7.9

kitty
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Doug Peterson on October 16, 2008, 10:45:51 am
The name of this thread is VERY deceptive. 10.4 is NOT supported. 10.5.5 is required. If you want to play around using 10.4 then there is nothing stopping you from installing, but expect strangeness, crashes, and non-functioning tools.



"Skin Tone Tool" is very powerful, BUT not for what they advertise it for. This tool allows you to do a gray balance based on any known color rather than ONLY on a gray card. If you are constantly changing color temperatures with a particular subject (i.e. walking a model/subject tungsten, then daylight, then shadow, then strong color cast from a painted wall) then you can correct any one of those images (e.g. the daylight shot) and then "pick up" either the skin tone, or more realistically an article of clothing like a pair of jeans and then just click the equivalent color in the other shots and it will correct each shot's WB to make that color the same in each shot.

The effectiveness of the "Skin Tone Tool" will vary based on how consistent the tone of skin is on your model and on how accurately you can judge which skin tone should be used based on their relatively arbitrary names. It's not going to give you the final WB exactly, but in a tough/changing/dynamic lighting situations with hundreds of shots it lets you get rough WBs very quickly without a gray card.

For studio shooters of course you're still going to primarily use "5500/0" (or whatever known/fixed WB your aesthetics lead you towards) or a gray card. So this tool is not for you.

This also does NOT alter the skin tone, its just adjusts WB and Tint. There are included portrait ICC profiles for P1 backs as well as a full implementation of the incredibly powerful Color Editor which lets you alter and save ICC profiles (or just keep modification instructions them without having to save a new ICC profile) which can be used to design your own "skin tones". The belief that one camera produces "better skin tones" is based on each manufacturers ICC profiles and how closely their (relatively arbitrary) decisions match any particular photographers aesthetics. Phase One has its portrait profile, but with literally a few minutes of work you can produce your own profile which pushes skin tones more towards magenta, olive, higher or lower saturation and higher or lower luminosity.

We're working very hard here to produce a supplemental to the included User's Manual with our own summary of tips/tricks/shortcuts and workflow methods based on our user's input.

Anyone who downloads it and just dismisses it saying "I don't like it" needs to realize that this is a new program and ANY new program which is sufficiently different from what you are used to will garner a negative feeling. Just spend a little while with it and I really truly believe you will come to find it a powerful, flexible, and fast tool.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Guy Mancuso on October 16, 2008, 10:51:18 am
Quote from: Snook
I am having the same issue..
No controls work at all.. Images load etc.. but everything grey out...
On my iMac it works pretty good..
On my G5 tower is where the problems is...
Glad I am not the only one!

Again no body has tethered yet!!! Too bad my studio is far away or I would go there now to try it!!!
Thanks for any more updates
Snook


Phase P25 plus and Phase body works fine with a 3 second from shot to preview. A little faster than before. Just a quick test but it seems to work with no issues at all. I am on 10.5 Leopard

Make that 2.5 seconds
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Kitty on October 16, 2008, 10:59:36 am
Quote from: dougpetersonci
The name of this thread is VERY deceptive. 10.4 is NOT supported. 10.5.5 is required. If you want to play around using 10.4 then there is nothing stopping you from installing, but expect strangeness, crashes, and non-functioning tools.


Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)

Thanks for the reply! So Capture 4.5 is not for me now. Still on Tiger.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Jeff Weir on October 16, 2008, 11:00:09 am
Quote from: Kitty
I have problem with Capture 4.5.
Since first launch the software it keeps asking me (The location of the docutment "Capture One.col45" cannot be determined.)
You can specify where to save it.

When I save as. The software suddenly quit.
If I choose cancel it works for a while and will ask me again when I am going to quit.
Because I could not save as I hit cancel again and the software suddenly quit again.

Very strange. I have 3.7.9 which is very reliable.
I also have 4.1.2 which also has no problem.
I deleted 4.1.2 but still keep 3.7.9

Very strange. Anyone has the same problem?

kitty


I'm having the same problem and just got an email from phase....4.5 pro requires leopard 10.5xxxxx.  once leopard is installed, all will work properly.

Jeff


Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Guy Mancuso on October 16, 2008, 11:04:05 am
Reason why I have been posting I am on 10.5 it works there except for my 28mm is the one issue with sharper corners. Trying to get answer on that one though.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Mark_Tuttle on October 16, 2008, 12:18:08 pm
[quote name='dougpetersonci' date='Oct 16 2008, 07:45 AM' post='229718']
The name of this thread is VERY deceptive. 10.4 is NOT supported. 10.5.5 is required. If you want to play around using 10.4 then there is nothing stopping you from installing, but expect strangeness, crashes, and non-functioning tools.


Again, let's clarify this point.  Is 10.5.5 actually required? The software doesn't function properly with anything below 10.5.5?
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Steve Hendrix on October 16, 2008, 12:37:10 pm

Quote from: dougpetersonci
The name of this thread is VERY deceptive. 10.4 is NOT supported. 10.5.5 is required. If you want to play around using 10.4 then there is nothing stopping you from installing, but expect strangeness, crashes, and non-functioning tools.


Again, let's clarify this point.  Is 10.5.5 actually required? The software doesn't function properly with anything below 10.5.5?

Mark:

I'll get clarification on this. But my assumption would be that 4.5 requires 10.5 Leopard OS. Mac OS 10.5.5 is recommended, it being the latest and likely least buggy. That would be my understandig. But I will clarify.


I will make this clear as far as the thread title:

CAPTURE ONE PRO 4.5 DOES NOT WORK ON 10.4.11.

And I would request that Michael delete the thread or at least call for the end of it. It is directly misleading (I don't mean maliciously, I just mean it is incorrect and the way that the thread title is written has the effect of misleading information in that the information is not correct). I don't want people's time to be wasted.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Doug Peterson on October 16, 2008, 12:42:20 pm
Quote from: John Schweikert
We all know 10.5.5 blah blah. Chris Lawery said the other day he was running it on 10.4.11 so that's why I at least was trying the option.

It sounds like some who are on Leopard are still having issues though. Snook is on Leopard. It's not running 100% for him.

Doug, Lance, Chris, Steve - I appreciate and look forward to any and all info to help people. But this is not a NEW app, it's just a repackaged version 4 with 'new' things, well many of which were in V3 Pro.

I have less confidence in all V4 apps, because they aren't the level of attentiveness in programming and bug fixing that we saw with the last version 3.

I want 4.5 Pro to work, the image quality from Capture One has always to my eyes been the best. So I'll stop bitching, do what I need to on my end to make it work.

We can argue semantics about what "new" means, but 4 Pro has many MAJOR features that were not in 4 non-pro and the workflow/navigation tools and ability to work with huge numbers of images at once is tremendously tremendously improved from 3 Pro.

As for "attentiveness and bug fixing"... Honestly, none of us will have a clear idea of stability for at least a week or two. We (or at least I) have been through several such product launches and it is hard to differentiate between someone have a actual problem and just not understanding some new aspect of the program. For instance, Snook may or may not be just trying to adjust a JPG which would explain the symptoms he is reporting. Regardless of what Snook's specific situation turns out to be, we will see lots of this. There will also surely be problems with very specific setups which could not be anticipated in advance (e.g. a specific video driver with a specific laptop running a specific background program) which wouldn't affect stability for 99% of users but which will generate some very angry posts on message boards. Generally speaking people post about new programs when they have problems, so the boards will fill.

Our company is very honest, and we will be clear on where we think Pro stands once we've had enough time to gather info from a variety of customers, and from a variety of backs/cameras/computers. For now the old golden rule of photography still stands: don't use anything in front of a client which you haven't tested personally in that exact setup.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Mark_Tuttle on October 16, 2008, 12:52:25 pm
Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Mark:

I'll get clarification on this. But my assumption would be that 4.5 requires 10.5 Leopard OS. Mac OS 10.5.5 is recommended, it being the latest and likely least buggy. That would be my understandig. But I will clarify.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Thank you, Steve.  I have my copy of 10.5.4 in front of me ready to load on one of the computers, and having read about a number of bugs in 10.5.5 I wasn't going to jump at the further update.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: amsp on October 16, 2008, 05:40:03 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
The name of this thread is VERY deceptive. 10.4 is NOT supported. 10.5.5 is required. If you want to play around using 10.4 then there is nothing stopping you from installing, but expect strangeness, crashes, and non-functioning tools.
Yeah, it seems you are right, I tried opening the program again and now all the the tabs are empty and everything seems pretty much bugged. It did however work fine the first time I used it, which just makes me wonder how the hell did P1 program this thing? I'm sorry, but this was the last straw for me and I'm officially abandoning C1. Thank god for Adobe.

Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Snook on October 16, 2008, 05:49:00 pm
Quote from: amsp
Yeah, it seems you are right, I tried opening the program again and now all the the tabs are empty and everything seems pretty much bugged. It did however work fine the first time I used it, which just makes me wonder how the hell did P1 program this thing? I'm sorry, but this was the last straw for me and I'm officially abandoning C1. Thank god for Adobe.

This is exactly what most people were saying..
That is was finally going to be released but we were going to be the Beta testers and work through the Bugs..
Phase said no, they have been testing it for a while..
Who were they testing this stuff with????????
Have they tried different machines, different configurations???
So far I like it and have not seen any bugs but... jeeez this is getting frustrating..
I guess I'll try it when I can .. Just wanted one single tethering program that could do everything as I hated Hot folders etc... and going back and forth from one program to another....

Maybe phase should get some help with these things...

I'll comment more after using it some more and give them the benefit of the doubt...

I am sure they new that the release was going to get all kinds of mixed feelings.... I guess they could have told people a long time ago that it was for 10.5 and many could have lost hopes.
I personally find 10.5.5 very stable and much snappier than 10.4 but do understand people not wanting to change their OS if they are happy how it is...
Eventually they will have to change the OS for sure...
Snook






Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: jmboss on October 16, 2008, 05:50:57 pm
Is anybody successfully running the new C1 Pro 4.5 on a Mac G4 with a Power PC CPU, as opposed to a "recommended Intel based Mac" as stated in the software's release notes and elsewhere on the Phase One website?

Thank you for any information,

Joe
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: TMARK on October 16, 2008, 06:48:34 pm
I won't update my OS until my scanner software, rips, other drivers etc are updated.  

Since I don't have a Phase back anymore, I don't think I need to upgrade to 4.5.  LR 2 and RD work better than fine with Canon and Leaf files.  

By the way, LC 11 is fantastic.  Not as fast as C1, but what a nice converter.  The moire tool is really great in LC11.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Doug Peterson on October 16, 2008, 07:33:57 pm
Quote from: Snook
This is exactly what most people were saying..
That is was finally going to be released but we were going to be the Beta testers and work through the Bugs..
Phase said no, they have been testing it for a while..
Who were they testing this stuff with????????
Have they tried different machines, different configurations???
So far I like it and have not seen any bugs but... jeeez this is getting frustrating..
I guess I'll try it when I can .. Just wanted one single tethering program that could do everything as I hated Hot folders etc... and going back and forth from one program to another....

Maybe phase should get some help with these things...

I'll comment more after using it some more and give them the benefit of the doubt...

I am sure they new that the release was going to get all kinds of mixed feelings.... I guess they could have told people a long time ago that it was for 10.5 and many could have lost hopes.
I personally find 10.5.5 very stable and much snappier than 10.4 but do understand people not wanting to change their OS if they are happy how it is...
Eventually they will have to change the OS for sure...
Snook

Guys, I'm really sorry, but I'm completely confused at these comments. The download link to Capture One 4.5 Pro clearly states 10.5.5 and higher. It's not big flashing red text, but it is by no means hidden. The fact then that it doesn't work on 10.4 is not a programming failure; it is expected because you're not running on a machine that meets the min requirements.

That said, I share your frustration that they did not produce a version compatible with 10.4 and especially that they didn't let us know until right before the release. But keep in mind 10.5 has been out for over a year and is already half way through its expected life-time. There is nothing today (e.g. 3.7.9) you couldn't do yesterday, only additional features and workflow options.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Kitty on October 16, 2008, 10:55:56 pm
Quote from: TMARK
I won't update my OS until my scanner software, rips, other drivers etc are updated.

I am 2nd to this.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: amsp on October 17, 2008, 05:04:08 am
Quote from: dougpetersonci
Guys, I'm really sorry, but I'm completely confused at these comments. The download link to Capture One 4.5 Pro clearly states 10.5.5 and higher. It's not big flashing red text, but it is by no means hidden. The fact then that it doesn't work on 10.4 is not a programming failure; it is expected because you're not running on a machine that meets the min requirements.

That said, I share your frustration that they did not produce a version compatible with 10.4 and especially that they didn't let us know until right before the release. But keep in mind 10.5 has been out for over a year and is already half way through its expected life-time. There is nothing today (e.g. 3.7.9) you couldn't do yesterday, only additional features and workflow options.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)
What's to be confused about? I've waited like 2 years for this software and I'm just disappointed as hell with PhaseOne. The 4.1 version you've been teasing me with for months now didn't need OsX 10.5 and neither do any of the other major RAW programs, so why does 4.5 demand it? The fact that I could get it running on my machine, even if it was only once, tells me there is no logical reason. After all this time it just feels like a final slap in the face and I've had enough. Don't get me wrong, I still love my P25, but I'm grateful to Adobe that I'm not stuck with C1.



Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: bcooter on October 17, 2008, 09:04:30 am
Quote from: Kitty
I am 2nd to this.



I'm not saying this is just Phase, but if you are busy and run multiple computers you can spend your life just updating stuff.

Sometimes digital capture reminds me of hiring a building contractor.  You spend so much time being involved with the building process you never get any of your own work done.

So updating, sure we all have to do it, but if what I have works, there has to be a really can't do without reason to make the change.  Whether an os is 1 or 4 years old doesn't matter, but I think we all know that new OS systems, new software are rarely bug free and we all end up beta testings in some way.

I know dealers and db makers make there living with this stuff and are obviously more involved, but for most of us digital is just a means to a very different end.

Big Cooter
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Kitty on October 17, 2008, 10:22:13 pm
Well said Big Cooter. Update OS is big deal for me.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: TMARK on October 18, 2008, 02:57:54 am
Quote from: Kitty
Well said Big Cooter. Update OS is big deal for me.

me too.  I'd love to update to 10.5.5, but then my rips and SilverFast may not work, which would not benefit me.  If I had to update all of my software to work with 10.5, it would be either a). really expensive or  really painful, or bother, or c) impossible.
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: jmboss on October 20, 2008, 04:22:43 am
I guess my question got lost in the urgency of the other posts.

Hopefully, someone has an answer.  Steve or Doug maybe?

Is anybody successfully running the new C1 Pro 4.5 on a Mac G4 with a Power PC CPU, as opposed to a "recommended Intel based Mac" as stated in the software's release notes and elsewhere on the Phase One website?

Thank you for any information,

Joe
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Guy Mancuso on October 20, 2008, 09:21:08 am
For those that want to try and see if 10.5.5 works with there scanners and printers and such, there is a very easy way to test this . Get a external firewire drive and carbon copy your main drive to it completely. Than install leopard on it and C1 4.5 than just boot up from that drive and see if everything is working out and than if you want to keep it and put back on your main drive just carbon copy it over to your main drive. This way you still have Tiger on your main drive until you move it over, no lose of work in progress and see if everything works they way you like it to.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260)
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: Doug Peterson on October 20, 2008, 10:47:02 am
Quote from: jmboss
Is anybody successfully running the new C1 Pro 4.5 on a Mac G4 with a Power PC CPU, as opposed to a "recommended Intel based Mac" as stated in the software's release notes and elsewhere on the Phase One website?

You're right, just too many questions all at once; simply overlooked yours.

Yes it will run on a Power PC (provided it is running 10.5.5). However I have to bring you the bad news that performance on a G4 will likely be frustrating to the point of insanity. We can argue about how "old" is "old" and you're welcome to be frustrated that P1 is essentially not supporting your G4 but the bottom line is that you either need to continue running the workflow you have (3.7.9?) or upgrade your hardware.

G5s we only have 2nd hand reports on (since we have no G5s on location here), but so far reports have been pretty decent. While performance is tuned for the Intel chips a sufficiently fast G5 will handle the program well.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: jmboss on October 20, 2008, 01:34:21 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
You're right, just too many questions all at once; simply overlooked yours.

Yes it will run on a Power PC (provided it is running 10.5.5). However I have to bring you the bad news that performance on a G4 will likely be frustrating to the point of insanity. We can argue about how "old" is "old" and you're welcome to be frustrated that P1 is essentially not supporting your G4 but the bottom line is that you either need to continue running the workflow you have (3.7.9?) or upgrade your hardware.

G5s we only have 2nd hand reports on (since we have no G5s on location here), but so far reports have been pretty decent. While performance is tuned for the Intel chips a sufficiently fast G5 will handle the program well.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer (http://www.captureintegration.com)
Personal Portfolio (http://www.doug-peterson.com)

Doug, Thank you for the Information. This gives me a few more temporary Mac options hardware wise, along with the use of 10.5.5 for the new C1 Pro 4.5.

Kind Regards,

Joe
Title: C1 4.5 works with OsX 10.4.11
Post by: BlasR on October 20, 2008, 07:45:11 pm
Hello Doug,

can you help with the if you can,


"The queue is currently stopped, do you want to start it again?"

If I click yes, will kick me out,  

I have mac OS X 10.5.5 2x3.2 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon.

Thank You

BlasR