Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: revaaron on October 15, 2008, 02:46:48 pm

Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: revaaron on October 15, 2008, 02:46:48 pm
I just ordered a 45mm on ebay for $599. great deal that I couldn't pass up.
any experiences with this lens?
samples?
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: FlashDB on October 15, 2008, 05:37:13 pm
Quote from: revaaron
I just ordered a 45mm on ebay for $599. great deal that I couldn't pass up.
any experiences with this lens?
samples?

Hi Revaaron
I own a Contax myself but does not have the 45mm lens.
It has a very good reputation and certainly a lens I would consider buying myself,...so let me know what you think!  

Cheers
David
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: revaaron on October 16, 2008, 01:02:13 am
I wanted the 120mm, 80mm and 45mm. I got a 13mm extension tube. I'm curious what would be the difference from the 80mm and a couple extension tubes and the 120 f/4.
any comments from any one? if  don't have to spend $2100 on a lens and almost get something as good, that would be great.
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: dergiman on October 16, 2008, 02:53:59 pm
the 120 planar is a unique lens. it is fantastic!!! i tried the 140 and the 80 together with the canon 500D close up lens, i can recommend it for flower or bugs or when all the important things are in the center. when it comes to flat field of focus, low distortion, even distribution of sharpness at higher magnification, this is where the 120mm apo-makro-planar comes into its own.
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: Mark_Tuttle on October 16, 2008, 06:33:55 pm
Quote from: dergiman
the 120 planar is a unique lens. it is fantastic!!! i tried the 140 and the 80 together with the canon 500D close up lens, i can recommend it for flower or bugs or when all the important things are in the center. when it comes to flat field of focus, low distortion, even distribution of sharpness at higher magnification, this is where the 120mm apo-makro-planar comes into its own.

While I try to stay away from "me too" comments I have to agree.  The 120mm is reason enough just to buy the Contax 645.
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: revaaron on October 17, 2008, 08:51:41 am
please don't say that too me...
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: revaaron on October 24, 2008, 12:01:06 pm
no as bright as the 80mm, but this lens is amazing. the $599 bargain from KEH is basically brand new.
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: Khun_K on October 24, 2008, 07:29:37 pm
Quote from: revaaron
I just ordered a 45mm on ebay for $599. great deal that I couldn't pass up.
any experiences with this lens?
samples?
It is an excellent lens. I started it with this lens when I also shot Hasselblad V and the 50mm Distagon, on the same film the 45mm looks to me sharper and higher contrast than the CF 50mm lens.  With digital back I have not tested both but the 45mm lens on 645 with P45+ is very sharp.  Nowadays I use more often with the 45-90 Vario Sonnar, also an amazing lens, especially at the 2-3 meter focusing range, it is almost as sharp as my 120 Makro Planar.
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: jimgolden on October 24, 2008, 11:48:37 pm
i shot w/ a contax for the first time today, 80mm, vert grip, prism finder and P25 -that thing a DREAMBOAT!! i loved it....
Title: Contax 45mm
Post by: revaaron on October 25, 2008, 12:47:55 am
there is no way I could ever afford a 45-90