Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: reburns on October 13, 2008, 02:59:21 pm
-
Hi,
Can someone suggest a good quality traveler ballhead that includes a panning base? I will put this on a small Gitzo travel-size tripod. I'm using a 5D, and the longest lens is now 70-200 f/4. I already have a RRS camera plate, simple pano plate, and a spare Markins quick-release shoe. My other tripod is a 2540 + Markins Q3, still good and light but I've got a couple one-carryon-backpack international trips planned (plane>bus>moto>boat>hitchhike>donkey).
The smallest I've seen thus far are Giottos, which I don't think have any friction in the ball (you get what you pay for...).
Thanks!
-
Hi,
Can someone suggest a good quality traveler ballhead that includes a panning base? I will put this on a small Gitzo travel-size tripod. I'm using a 5D, and the longest lens is now 70-200 f/4. I already have a RRS camera plate, simple pano plate, and a spare Markins quick-release shoe. My other tripod is a 2540 + Markins Q3, still good and light but I've got a couple one-carryon-backpack international trips planned (plane>bus>moto>boat>hitchhike>donkey).
The smallest I've seen thus far are Giottos, which I don't think have any friction in the ball (you get what you pay for...).
Thanks!
RRS BH-25? It has a panning base ... true one lever unlocks both ball and panning base, so maybe that's a no go.
-
RRS BH-25? It has a panning base ... true one lever unlocks both ball and panning base, so maybe that's a no go.
Correcto... no-go if the lever unlocks the ball and base at the same time...bizarre.
-
For my main Ball head I have a RRS BH-55 and can't say enough good things about it but they are expensive so I considered the BH-25 for my travel tripod but could not justify the cost so I bought a new Linhof provi 1 ball head on ebay and am pleased with the quality. under $100 It will hold a 5D and 70-200 2.8
http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Uneversal-Ballh...id=p3286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Linhof-Uneversal-Ballhead-01_W0QQitemZ230292378037QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230292378037&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A2%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
Hope this helps
Marc
The pictures don't show the panning base but it does have one
-
Hi,
Can someone suggest a good quality traveler ballhead that includes a panning base? I will put this on a small Gitzo travel-size tripod. I'm using a 5D, and the longest lens is now 70-200 f/4. I already have a RRS camera plate, simple pano plate, and a spare Markins quick-release shoe. My other tripod is a 2540 + Markins Q3, still good and light but I've got a couple one-carryon-backpack international trips planned (plane>bus>moto>boat>hitchhike>donkey).
The smallest I've seen thus far are Giottos, which I don't think have any friction in the ball (you get what you pay for...).
Thanks!
I have a Giotto MH1302 with QR and I think its quite nicely engineered for the price - it has a panning base and adjustable friction - I wanted the light weight for backpacking to go with my Velbon 530 CF. I think I paid about £70 (pounds)
-
The Markins Q3 works fine for me (5D, 70-200 + 24-105), it's difficult to find a smaller ballhead with the same features.
http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/q3.html (http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/q3.html)
-
Thanks:
Marc: Does the Linhof have friction on the ball?
I might just take my Markins Q3 tho, and save some money. I was hoping to go smaller.
-
Hi,
Novaflex makes a small ballhead at about 0.7 pounds I think. I had the medium size one for a while. It was nicely made.
-
FLM ballheads or RRS BH-25
-
It's beginning to look like I'll just take the Markins Q3... perhaps I made a decent purchase in the first place.
Check out this list of ballheads:
http://www.wohlberg.net/public/photo/ballheads.html (http://www.wohlberg.net/public/photo/ballheads.html)
Novoflex: The only model I find that is smaller than my Q3 AND has a panning lock is only rated to hold 2 pounds, so that might be a no-go for my DSLR:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2587...d.html#features (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/258779-REG/Novoflex_NEIGER_19P_NEIGER_19P_Ball_Head.html#features)
RRS BH-25 does not have separate panning base, so it's useless.
The FLM 24 looks attractive, but it seems that the panning lock is an add-on:
FLM: http://www.flm-gmbh.de/EN/products_photographie.html (http://www.flm-gmbh.de/EN/products_photographie.html)
FLM24 @ BH: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2884...rball_24_F.html (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/288437-REG/FLM_FLMCB24F_Centerball_24_F.html)
The Linhof 1 comes closest if I didn't already have the Markins.
-
Thanks:
Marc: Does the Linhof have friction on the ball?
I might just take my Markins Q3 tho, and save some money. I was hoping to go smaller.
Sorry for the late reply, there is no independent friction control just the tension you get on the main knob, Hasn't been an issue for me
Marc
-
reburns
Have a look at the Acratech V2 or GV2, they weigh about a pound and have a separate pan. The ball tension is adjustable and they are of very good quality. They are not inexpensive, costing in the $3xx.00 price range.
Look here:
http://acratech.net/ (http://acratech.net/)
Paul
-
The Gitzo 0012, which has been renamed the G1377M, (http://www.adorama.com/GZ1377M.html?search...&item_no=18 (http://www.adorama.com/GZ1377M.html?searchinfo=gitzo%200012&item_no=18?searchinfo=gitzo%200012&item_no=18)) has been a favourite of mine for a few years. The head is somewhat expensive, but given its size/weight to stability ratio it is worth every penny. I have put this head through some very rough situations and it has always come through with flying colours.
-
Thanks folks, I decided to not go superlight and just save my money. I'll be happy with Gitzo2540 & Markins Q3. Ask me next weekend when I hump it, camera, climbing gear and a week's food up the hill.... cheerio, Ralph
-
Take a look at the Cullmann Magnesit line. New and a very well kept secret. Great stuff.
-
New thought and realization here - Lookout!
For November's Chile/Argentina trip I took the Markins Q3 + GT2540, and it was manageable, but I also carried a 85 litre backpack at 27kg which included heavy rock climbing gear, plus 8kg Billingham camera shoulder bag. Of the suggestions above, the suggestion of the Cullman Magnsit 10 looked like a good choice on paper for size and $80 price. But since I already own the Markins Q3, the 125gm saved isn't worth a whole lot. Very shortly I'm off to India for 3 weeks, and this time my luggage is a 50 liter daypack plus the shoulder camera bag.
I just picked up a GT0541 off eBay, and although it is very light it looks like a winner. But the Markins Q3 dwarfs the tripod legs. Using the Q3 and with the center column down, the SLR comes to nearly chest height, and with the column all the way up the camera comes to nearly chin height (I'm 6'2").
Bling. I don't NEED a panning base!. If I'm satisfied to leave the column all the way down and the column clamp a little loose, then the column spins just as a panning base. I tried it and it's actually more precise than panning with the Q3.
Answer: RRS-25 ballhead, and leave the column down! Once again, less is more.
Cheers, Ralph