Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Goodlistener on October 08, 2008, 10:02:43 pm

Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: Goodlistener on October 08, 2008, 10:02:43 pm
I have a new Canon speed light on order and hope to find a good tutorial about "how to use Flash" or how to for Flash Photography.  Has anybody seen such a tutorial that I might learn from?

Oh yes... this is not Landscape.  Well, I promise to take a flash shot of a landscape <grin>. No, seriously, there isn't a neet fit for this question and I usually hang out here the most, so thank you all if you have some links to good learning resources.

Best Regards

The Good Listener

Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: DarkPenguin on October 08, 2008, 10:43:10 pm
On or off camera?  If off camera then strobist is your friend.  If on camera you still might consider going to strobist (probably the strobist flickr group) and asking there.

Some flash resources ...

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ (http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/)
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ (http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/)
http://flickr.com/groups/strobist/ (http://flickr.com/groups/strobist/)
Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: David Sutton on October 09, 2008, 01:58:33 am
I'd second going to Strobist. But you may end up wanting to buy more gear. Here's a link to "flash" at the Canon Digital Learning Centre:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...p;x=39&y=22 (http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=ArticleFilterAct&categoryID=3&typeID=-1&productID=-1&x=39&y=22)
I sometimes use flash for the foreground in low light for landscapes.  
Cheers, David
Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: wolfnowl on October 09, 2008, 12:54:46 pm
Definitely Strobist.  There are enough tutorials there to keep you going for a while.

Mike.
Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: Mike Louw on October 09, 2008, 03:19:02 pm
Strobist is great, but here are 2 other options:

Neil Van Niekerk (http://planetneil.com/tangents/) has some very useful info.
As you use a Canon: Photo Notes (http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/) is really excellent and very detailed.
Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: dandeliondigital on October 09, 2008, 04:54:39 pm
Hi Goodlistener,
The NAPP National Association of Photoshop Professionals have just what you need, so if you are a member, head on over and check it out.  There are a whole series on every kind of flash and it gives a wonderful overview for those who need a smattering.

If you need to join, go here...<http://www.photoshopuser.com/join.html>

Good luck, and so long for now, TOM


Quote from: Goodlistener
I have a new Canon speed light on order and hope to find a good tutorial about "how to use Flash" or how to for Flash Photography.  Has anybody seen such a tutorial that I might learn from?
Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: mike.online on October 09, 2008, 08:48:52 pm
strobist. definitely. having an extension cord is good though to get started on the material there. the 102 tutorial set is wesome
Title: Need Tutorial on Use of Flash
Post by: David Hufford on November 02, 2008, 02:43:09 am
Quote from: Goodlistener
I have a new Canon speed light on order and hope to find a good tutorial about "how to use Flash" or how to for Flash Photography.  Has anybody seen such a tutorial that I might learn from?

Oh yes... this is not Landscape.  Well, I promise to take a flash shot of a landscape <grin>. No, seriously, there isn't a neet fit for this question and I usually hang out here the most, so thank you all if you have some links to good learning resources.

Best Regards

The Good Listener

One of my favorite sources (in addition to strobist) is Joe McNally's book The Moment it Clicks http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks-Photog...1435&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks-Photography-secrets-shooters/dp/0321544080/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225611435&sr=8-1). I would not call this primarily a "how to use flash" book, but in effect that is what much of it is about. He doesn't explain all the basics, but he certainly helps put the use of flash into common sense context. (This is not a technical book where he explains shutter speeds, f-stops etc for each photo.) I think I learned more from that book than any other source on the use of flash.

At the risk of sounding like an ad, he also has a blog at http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/ (http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/) which may give you an idea of how he writes.