Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: jkorst on October 08, 2008, 07:01:09 pm
-
Specifically, I'm concerned about two things:
What happens if Lightroom is writing to its database while Time Machine is backing it up?
Does Time Machine see every little change as a reason to back up the entire database? I understand that, for example, backing up the Entourage database does result in a very quickly bloated back up.
Thanks very much,
Jeffrey
-
Specifically, I'm concerned about two things:
What happens if Lightroom is writing to its database while Time Machine is backing it up?
Does Time Machine see every little change as a reason to back up the entire database? I understand that, for example, backing up the Entourage database does result in a very quickly bloated back up.
Thanks very much,
Jeffrey
Time machine will back up any individual file that has been modified since the last backup. The LR database may be somewhat problematic, because it does get fairly large.
Personally I control my Time Machine backups manually. By default I have it off. If I add some image files to my hard drive or do quite a bit of work in Photoshop or LR, I turn time machine on when I finish for the day, then turn it off again the next morning. I never have it enabled when I'm working on the computer. Hourly backups seem like overkill to me, and I don't want to run into problems with things slowing down to a crawl.
-
After doing several backups with it when it first came out, now I don't use Time Machine at all; too clunky for any real control... I much prefer ChronoSync (http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_overview.html) from econ (don't let their name fool you ;-) ... this is great stuff.
ChronoSync has become a key component of my workflow; I sync my backups after every "significant" work session. Easy!
-
Another vote for CronoSync but I also use Time Machine for general back ups but only CronoSync for my image folders.
Mike
-
Oh yeah, Mike's reply reminded me to mention that I use ChronoSync just for backing up external drives containing my image library; I still use Carbon Copy Cloner for backups of my system drives.
-
Specifically, I'm concerned about two things:
[---]
I believe Adobe recommends against backing up Lightroom catalogs with Time Machine, but I can't remember where I read it. Anyway, I exclude the catalog from Time Machine, but I include catalog backups made by Lightroom. I have Lightroom make a backup catalog every week. That way, at least I have Time Machine backups of the Lightroom backups, which won't be more than 1 week old.
Then I back up the main catalog twice a week with Carbon Copy Cloner.
-
I believe Adobe recommends against backing up Lightroom catalogs with Time Machine, but I can't remember where I read it. Anyway, I exclude the catalog from Time Machine, but I include catalog backups made by Lightroom. I have Lightroom make a backup catalog every week. That way, at least I have Time Machine backups of the Lightroom backups, which won't be more than 1 week old.
Then I back up the main catalog twice a week with Carbon Copy Cloner.
Dear Thomas,
Your reply is intriguing me, so, as ignorant as I am, I have two questions :
How can I make LR (1.4.1) to do a back up of its catalogue?
And how to exclude LR's catalogue from Time Machine?
Thank you for the advice,
Philippe
-
Dear Thomas,
Your reply is intriguing me, so, as ignorant as I am, I have two questions :
How can I make LR (1.4.1) to do a back up of its catalogue?
And how to exclude LR's catalogue from Time Machine?
Thank you for the advice,
Philippe
There's an option in Lightroom to backup the catalog at launch. When Lightroom is launched, if you press the Option key, a dialog is displayed. You should find the options for backup there. This is the same window that allows you to test for catalog integrity and choose a default catalog.
To exclude a file, folder or disk from Time Machine, just open the Time Machine preference panel (Apple Menu>System Preferences>Time Machine). Click on the Option button. This should open a new window. You can then either click on the + button to add items to the list or drag files, folders etc.. in that window. All the items listed there are not backed up.
-
There's an option in Lightroom to backup the catalog at launch. When Lightroom is launched, if you press the Option key, a dialog is displayed. You should find the options for backup there. This is the same window that allows you to test for catalog integrity and choose a default catalog.
To exclude a file, folder or disk from Time Machine, just open the Time Machine preference panel (Apple Menu>System Preferences>Time Machine). Click on the Option button. This should open a new window. You can then either click on the + button to add items to the list or drag files, folders etc.. in that window. All the items listed there are not backed up.
Dear Feançois,
Thank you for the answers.
The LR option thing was, till now, unknown to me.
I knew how to exclude files from time machine but not the LR catalogue, I could not find it as an 'independent' file to select, now I can.
Thank you again,
Philippe
-
Dear Feançois,
Thank you for the answers.
The LR option thing was, till now, unknown to me.
I knew how to exclude files from time machine but not the LR catalogue, I could not find it as an 'independent' file to select, now I can.
Thank you again,
Philippe
You're welcome. Don't hesitate to ask questions!