Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: brucekeefe on October 01, 2008, 09:22:26 am
-
Hi all
I’m interested in using a graduated natural density filter that is transparent in the center and completely opaque at the edges. This would essentially be the opposite to a center filter.
Does anybody know of a graduated natural density filter or similar that has these properties? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions
-
Hi all
I’m interested in using a graduated natural density filter that is transparent in the center and completely opaque at the edges. This would essentially be the opposite to a center filter.
Does anybody know of a graduated natural density filter or similar that has these properties? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226021\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That seems like an odd requirement. What are you photographing that will be enhanced by this approach. It would seem like you just want strong vignetting. You could accomplish the same thing by putting an over-sized hood on your lens--not so big as to be visible in the image area, but big enough to shade the edges.
Post-processing would be a very easy solution, if you haven't blown the highlights when taking the photo.
-
Does anybody know of a graduated natural density filter or similar that has these properties? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226021\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't know of one premade, but you might talk to the folks at Singh-Ray, I'm told that they've done custom work (and often gone on to productize ideas that were useful).
--Joe
-
Could you get that effect with an overly long lens hood? It sounds like what you want is something like extreme vignetting.
-
Bruce, I have no idea where one would get such a filter, but it'll be a neutral-density filter, not a natural.