Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: hassiman on September 30, 2008, 03:50:16 pm

Title: Buying DSLR D700 or 5D MII? Which wide zoom?
Post by: hassiman on September 30, 2008, 03:50:16 pm
Hi,

I am about to buy a DSLR and have been looking into the Nikon D700 or the Canon 5D MII.  I am not really sure which is best for me as not many have actually used these cameras yet so no real reviews... but I am kinda leaning towards Canon.  

If it's canon I was thinking of either the Canon 24-70 2.8 L zoom or the Canon 24-105 IS zoom.  Any comments on these or maybe some other choices?

It seems that at this level both Nikon and Canon are about =

Your comments?
Title: Buying DSLR D700 or 5D MII? Which wide zoom?
Post by: GregW on September 30, 2008, 06:54:02 pm
Not so long ago, Nikon users had to weigh up the pro and con's and agonize over the best zoom option. I went for the DX specific 17-55mm f/2.8G DX and 12-24mm f/4G DX.

With the advent of the D3, it was an easy choice and I went with the 24-70mm f/2.8G and 14-24mm f/2.8G. I don't do a lot of ultra wide angle work but when I do, the 14-24mm is impressive. It doesn't take screw on filters but the results are worth while.