Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Bernd B. on September 26, 2008, 02:19:41 pm

Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Bernd B. on September 26, 2008, 02:19:41 pm
Hi,

for the first time since I went MFDB I´ll have a shooting on location outside that needs more than two hours (maybe three or four). What shall I do?

1.) Buy a second accu for the MBP?

2.) Buy one of those plates you can mount under the MBP 15 inch and which gives endless hours of performance?

If 2., which product would you recommend and whats the price approx.

Bernd

P.S.: Camerawise it is not a problem I own already three accus for my H3D.
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Bernhard on September 26, 2008, 02:37:09 pm
check out the batterygeek battery's, they are great. I have the pps-130 and it works really well with P45+ and MacBook Pro 15"

http://www.batterygeek.net/Batterygeek_net..._Packs_s/78.htm (http://www.batterygeek.net/Batterygeek_net_MacBook_MacBook_Pro_Battery_Packs_s/78.htm)

all the best,

Bernhard
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Bernd B. on September 26, 2008, 02:50:49 pm
Quote
check out the batterygeek battery's, they are great. I have the pps-130 and it works really well with P45+ and MacBook Pro 15"

http://www.batterygeek.net/Batterygeek_net..._Packs_s/78.htm (http://www.batterygeek.net/Batterygeek_net_MacBook_MacBook_Pro_Battery_Packs_s/78.htm)

all the best,

Bernhard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you!

Did you order yours from the US or do you have a source in Europe?

Bernd
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Frank Doorhof on September 27, 2008, 02:18:48 am
check the tronix explorer.
It's a 220V/110V powersource on location.
Originally designed to power strobes, but you can also run your laptop on it for hours.
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Jonathan H on September 28, 2008, 09:37:36 pm
In addition to the Tronix Explorer, you can also look at the AlienBees Vagabond II battery - it will give you an additional 8 hours (probably more actually, I'm just being conservative).  You can also use it to power strobes or anything else.

I've been using mine to power a 1000WS Dynalite pack and a Macbook Pro on location for several months - no problems whatsoever.
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Jonathan H on September 28, 2008, 09:39:33 pm
EDIT - Double post, sorry.
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: BJNY on September 28, 2008, 09:43:38 pm
I asked about the VagabondII and received this reply:

The VII will power a laptop for about 15-20 minutes - this applies to most electronics
that will be a constant drain on the VII battery.
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Rick_Allen on September 28, 2008, 10:29:36 pm
2power make one that is similar to the batterygeek. I have the batterygeek and it rocks but I think 2power are England based get them from teamwork digital.
Title: Power source for MBP on location ?
Post by: Jonathan H on September 28, 2008, 10:31:09 pm
Quote
I asked about the VagabondII and received this reply:

The VII will power a laptop for about 15-20 minutes - this applies to most electronics
that will be a constant drain on the VII battery.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225372\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Hmm... interesting.  I've never left my laptop hooked up for more than 20 minutes at a time and only to "top off" the internal battery.  That's interesting to hear though.  Thanks.