Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: dmerger on September 20, 2008, 01:13:33 pm

Title: Total Solar Eclipse
Post by: dmerger on September 20, 2008, 01:13:33 pm
Here is another interesting NASA photo of a total solar eclipse.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080920.html (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080920.html)

Maybe one of our more informed forum members can answer a question I have been pondering.  Why is the solar corona not circular?  I suspect it is due to either the earth's atmosphere or its magnetic field, but I really don't know.
Title: Total Solar Eclipse
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 20, 2008, 01:43:41 pm
I believe the corona rides the magnetic field.

Maybe www.spaceweather.com has some information.
Title: Total Solar Eclipse
Post by: feppe on September 20, 2008, 01:48:49 pm
Quote
Here is another interesting NASA photo of a total solar eclipse.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080920.html (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080920.html)

Maybe one of our more informed forum members can answer a question I have been pondering.  Why is the solar corona not circular?  I suspect it is due to either the earth's atmosphere or its magnetic field, but I really don't know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222891\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gorgeous shot and very impressive technical details from one of the links.

The shot has nothing to do with NASA, though - it is only linked to on their site.
Title: Total Solar Eclipse
Post by: pcox on September 23, 2008, 05:54:39 pm
That's a stunning image - 55 exposures! Now that's HDR for you.

The corona as has been said rides the magnetic field of the Sun, so it varies quite a bit depending on solar activity. The wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona) does a pretty good job of describing it.

Cheers,
Peter