Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: stefan marquardt on September 19, 2008, 04:06:01 pm
-
hi,
my 5D started to produce weird looking images. every 10th or 15th frame. has anybody experienced anything like this?
looks like a serious problem to me. or maybe rather something to do with the cf-card?
stefan
[attachment=8422:attachment][attachment=8427:attachment]
-
It could be a loose mirror. Try some heavy shooting in continuous mode. If it's the mirror it will probably fall off, as mine did. Repair cost me about $350 in Bangkok. It would probably be more expensive elswhere.
-
Given the structure of that image, plus the striping configuration of the 5D raw file, I strongly suspect a corrupted raw file resulting from the CF card or the reader you are using. It is possible that the 5D itself has an issue but I think that's lower probability.
-
I get this once in a while from my 5D, but not every 15 images, maybe one out of 50 or 100.
I believe it is a card / write problem as Eric has proposed. Do you number your CF cards? If it happens that often, see if it is associated with one card. Mine's so infrequent I always forget which card it was the last time...
DChew
-
It has nothing to do with the sensor, but with corrupted data. The vertical split is due to the data organization: the raw data is not organized row by row, but half row wise.
The encoding of the raw data (JPEG lossless compression) is very sensitive to even the loss of a single bit; the rest of the image can not be decoded any more.
-
thanks for your ideas!
I started thinking in terms of cf-card/reader too.
Lately I have been shooting in hospitals and especialyvery close those Magnetic Resonance Tomography (MRT) scanners (that create a massive magnetic field to scan a whole person) and wonder, if that could have caused a fault in the card.
for now, I am just getting new cards and card reader and see how its going.
thanks again
stefan
-
thanks for your ideas!
I started thinking in terms of cf-card/reader too.
Lately I have been shooting in hospitals and especialyvery close those Magnetic Resonance Tomography (MRT) scanners (that create a massive magnetic field to scan a whole person) and wonder, if that could have caused a fault in the card.
for now, I am just getting new cards and card reader and see how its going.
thanks again
stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222828\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would have thought that you´d have been aware of the dangers of magnetic fields if you do that sort of work! Just be grateful you don´t have an artificial hip: you can´t have one of those magnetic scans if you do, so should you ever have the misfortune to need a new hip, don´t forget this bit of information - could save your life.
Big magnetic fields could possibly have interesting effects with hard drives... I´m surprised no staff member was quite bright enough to warn you of the dangers.
Obviously, I hope you never do need a new hip!
Rob C