Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: billmac on September 18, 2008, 09:04:04 pm

Title: Import Issue
Post by: billmac on September 18, 2008, 09:04:04 pm
I have imported a series of image files from 2003, taken with a D100 then processed to produce JPEGs. Some of the files imported without problems, but with some I get a pixelated file and a note that LR can't process them, in so many words. The problem will occur in the middle of a sequence with good files on either side. The files can viewed fine in Preview. Has anyone encountered the same issue? Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Bill McClure
Richmond VA
Title: Import Issue
Post by: rdonson on September 18, 2008, 09:30:04 pm
I haven't had that problem, Bill.  It might be helpful to know the exact message you get from Lightroom.  Is this LR 1.4x or LR 2?
Title: Import Issue
Post by: billmac on September 19, 2008, 12:34:14 pm
Quote
I haven't had that problem, Bill.  It might be helpful to know the exact message you get from Lightroom.  Is this LR 1.4x or LR 2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222520\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LR2 "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"

Bill
Title: Import Issue
Post by: Mort54 on September 21, 2008, 12:13:00 am
Quote
LR2 "The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"
Bill, I don't know if this is your problem, but I've had issues with a few older files that I had previously processed in Nikon's Capture software and then saved back to the NEF. Unlike Lightroom and most other RAW converters which store their edits in sidecar files or in a database, and leave the original NEF untouched, Capture writes the edits back to the original NEF, modifying it. This is a terribly dangerous practice in my opinion. The problems I had stemmed from doing edits with an early version of Capture. It seemed to modify the NEF in a way that wasn't supported by other apps.