Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: JohnKoerner on September 15, 2008, 11:00:38 pm

Title: OddBall Killer
Post by: JohnKoerner on September 15, 2008, 11:00:38 pm
(http://www.johnkoerner.org/Photography/mantid.jpg)


This mantid carries himself in a bizzare manner ...


Jack




.
Title: OddBall Killer
Post by: wolfnowl on September 16, 2008, 02:08:39 am
I don't think I've ever seen a mantis with that long a neck before. Almost a cross between a mantis and a walking stick.  Of course, I haven't seen all of the several thousand species, either.  I think the orchid mantis is still my favourite, though.
Mike.

Maybe the mantis ate a walking stick, and it got stuck...
Title: OddBall Killer
Post by: JohnKoerner on September 16, 2008, 12:31:46 pm
Quote
I don't think I've ever seen a mantis with that long a neck before. Almost a cross between a mantis and a walking stick.  Of course, I haven't seen all of the several thousand species, either.  I think the orchid mantis is still my favourite, though.
Mike.

Maybe the mantis ate a walking stick, and it got stuck...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I haven't tried to identify this mantid yet, but there are several different species in Florida that are striking in appearance, most especially the grizzled mantid.

It is interesting you meniton the neck, because the mantid is the only species of insect known that can turn its head and look over its own shoulder ...




.