Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: GBCollins on September 13, 2008, 10:24:37 pm

Title: Keeping crud out of tripod leg lock threads?
Post by: GBCollins on September 13, 2008, 10:24:37 pm
I would like to know what you do to keep the threads clean when set up in dirty, sandy water or a blowing sandy environment.  That grinding noise can't be good for the plastic threads on tripod leg locks such as those found on the Gitzo models.

Greg
Title: Keeping crud out of tripod leg lock threads?
Post by: AlanS on September 13, 2008, 10:42:03 pm
On the bottom legs that pick up most of the sand i will not close the legs all the way but stop 4-5 inches, this way the sand is less likely to enter and cause issues. i also will clean with a dry lube when i get back and need to service the equipment.
Title: Keeping crud out of tripod leg lock threads?
Post by: Peter McLennan on September 13, 2008, 11:43:26 pm
With apologies to the legions of happy Gitzo users, that's exactly why I sold mine.
Title: Keeping crud out of tripod leg lock threads?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on September 15, 2008, 08:34:34 am
Quote
I would like to know what you do to keep the threads clean when set up in dirty, sandy water or a blowing sandy environment.  That grinding noise can't be good for the plastic threads on tripod leg locks such as those found on the Gitzo models.

Greg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1) I try not to retract the lower leg segment after it's been in water or crud until I have a chance to wipe it down. That does seem to solve about 90% of the problem.

2) I use a Hakuba/Velbon 830 which does use Gitzo-style twist locks; but it's a simple matter to disassemble the leg segments and clean out any accumulated grit. The whole process probably takes about an hour for all 6 leg locks.
Title: Keeping crud out of tripod leg lock threads?
Post by: Chris_Brown on September 15, 2008, 10:42:51 am
I've used Gitzo for the last 25 years without a single problem. After a week in salty sand I simply hose down my 'pod with fresh water and work the collar locks while doing so. No big deal.