Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Locheil on September 09, 2008, 06:18:44 pm
-
Hi,
I thought I might share my thoughts on LR2 performance issues & maybe a possible solution to problems that some maybe having. (PC's only)
I found that when I looked at my catalogue file for LR2 with "ultimate defrag" program, I found that it was scattered all over my hard disk. LR2 would be sluggish to open & update etc, but when I optimised my HD with this program, with the option of prioritising & consolidating the file placements for the catalog & LR2 itself, to the high performance area of the HD, & placing non essential files, like Docs, mp3 etc to the slower area of the HD, I now find that LR2 runs much more sweetly, maybe just a placebo effect, but would be interested in others findings if they care to try out ultimatedefrag.
Found at http://www.disktrix.com/DTTrials.htm (http://www.disktrix.com/DTTrials.htm)
...Alan
-
Defrag with DisKeeper on my Windoze XP Pro SP3 machine didn't make much difference. Then again I defrag regularly so it wasn't ugly to begin with. The options you mention do seem appealing though.
-
Defrag with DisKeeper on my Windoze XP Pro SP3 machine didn't make much difference. Then again I defrag regularly so it wasn't ugly to begin with. The options you mention do seem appealing though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes the the option of prioritising & consolidating the file placements for the catalog & LR2 itself are what seems to put this program head & shoulders above other defrag programs.
-
turning off virus scan in lr database map and subfolders gave me a real boost in Lr1.x
F-secure trigged a scan for every image update
Roine
-
Just know that if you have a hard drive with multiple partitions there might not be a true "fast" area of the drive.
I'm defragging now with JkDefrag to see if it helps. I just get intermittent slowdowns when keywording a lot of files, which points to the database.
-
After a defrag of my drive I can report that Lightroom started up much faster, and giving a directory of a couple hundred images a common keyword was nearly instantaneous, whereas before it could take up to 8-10 seconds.
-
The benefit of Ultimate defrag is that once you have done your initial defrag, with details of high performance & archive options, you then then every few days just defrag the LR2 associated files only, without the need for a full defrag. If you use this program & analyse the LR2 database & catalog files you will see they get scattered over the disc surface as the LR2 prog updates info. over time.
But you will be able to pin point exact files or directories only to be defrag'd.
see attached screen shot as an example.
... Alan
[attachment=8337:attachment]