Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: tived on September 02, 2008, 01:00:58 pm

Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: tived on September 02, 2008, 01:00:58 pm
hi guys,

I need to be able to search my files by f/stops or focal length or shutter speed. so sort images by.

What application is there available to do this? please, this could really help me

thanks

Henrik


PS: I am on a Windoze machine!!! :-)
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: michael on September 02, 2008, 02:03:03 pm
Try Lightroom or Camera Raw, both from Adobe.

Michael
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: teddillard on September 02, 2008, 02:11:24 pm
Quote
hi guys,

I need to be able to search my files by f/stops or focal length or shutter speed. so sort images by.

What application is there available to do this? please, this could really help me

thanks

Henrik
PS: I am on a Windoze machine!!! :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can do that with Bridge, (Edit>Find) and you'll get a bunch of search criteria, including metadata etc, shown here.  

Bridge, of course, is included with the Photoshop install, this is CS3

[attachment=8186:attachment]

Aperture (Apple only) and Lightroom also do this...  as noted above.  Not sure what you mean by "Camera Raw"...  there aren't any search features there are there?
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: Nill Toulme on September 02, 2008, 02:14:07 pm
BreezeBrowser Pro (http://www.breezesys.com/) will let you sort by shooting data.  I don't think you can search that way with it though.

Nill
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: tived on September 02, 2008, 02:32:51 pm
thanks all very much for such quick replies,

sometimes what is infront of you one's own eyes is the last thing you see.

Obviously got Bridge and ACR here! hmm better have a look at it again, thanks

is lightroom a worthy contender for your everyday browsing and editing of images, I Do have the full CS3 Design collection.

thanks

Henrik
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: tived on September 02, 2008, 02:35:39 pm
Why I am asking is because I have been doing a lot of panoramic series, and every now and then I forget to shoot a black frame to separate the series or sequences.

...or maybe I just need to slow down a bit and take a deep breath before sorting through my images for further processing.

thanks all again for your quick responses, it is much appreciated

Henrik
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: The View on September 02, 2008, 08:17:59 pm
Photo Mechanic:

http://www.camerabits.com/site/index.html (http://www.camerabits.com/site/index.html)

actually a photo browser, but very fast, very popular, and does keywording and metadata searches. With this, like with the full DAM applications below, you can use any RAW converter you want (C1 Pro, DxO, RPP, RAWdeveloper), or switch in the future, while with Lightroom you will be bound to Lightroom/Adobe Camera Raw, and its proprietary database.

Photo Mechanic is coming up with a true DAM app (own database), but the release date is not set.

Also, with these applications you is will be easier to switch if you ever want to do that in future, so they keep your options open.

Also, they are all much more powerful than the one stop-shops Aperture and Lightroom.


Expressions Media:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/produc...=media#page-top (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/overview.aspx?key=media#page-top)


QPict:

http://www.qpict.net/ (http://www.qpict.net/)


All these applications offer trials, so you can get an idea on how they look, feel, and work, before you decide.
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: The View on September 02, 2008, 08:18:59 pm
Quote
Why I am asking is because I have been doing a lot of panoramic series, and every now and then I forget to shoot a black frame to separate the series or sequences.

...or maybe I just need to slow down a bit and take a deep breath before sorting through my images for further processing.

thanks all again for your quick responses, it is much appreciated

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you using CS3's photomerge? Then Bridge is the logical application for you.
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: The View on September 02, 2008, 08:19:28 pm
Quote
BreezeBrowser Pro (http://www.breezesys.com/) will let you sort by shooting data.  I don't think you can search that way with it though.

Nill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218974\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


That's also a good one. But PC only.
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: teddillard on September 03, 2008, 05:25:29 am
Quote
slow down a bit and take a deep breath

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


That's always good advice...  
Title: application that lets me search by...
Post by: tived on September 03, 2008, 11:08:31 am
Quote
Are you using CS3's photomerge? Then Bridge is the logical application for you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

   no, but it is sometimes able to perform when others can't. i have been using or i am using bridge atm for my viewing but find it very slow.

been trying XnView which seems like a very fast browser, mainly to sort and select images from a shoot

thanks for your help

Henrik