Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: The View on September 01, 2008, 04:50:39 pm
-
As far as I know, 25%, 50%, 100%, 200% etc. are the only zoom ratios that give an adequate impression of the image.
And that ratios like 33,3%, 66,7% are not recommended for the reason of interpolation.
I know now that there is no adequate screen representation of the sharpening process.
So, some images do not look good at 33,3% after sharpening, but look really OK at 50%.
Does that mean 50% gives you a false sense of security?
And even unsharpened images look fuzzy at 33.3%, but good at 50%.
What's your take on this?
-
Could it be that this is so unimportant to everyone?
-
Could be that we feel Jeff Schewe has covered this adequately a number of times.
-
Could be that we feel Jeff Schewe has covered this adequately a number of times.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not in Jeff Schewe's fanclub, and don't follow everything he does.
If you are, and know everything he does, it would have been easy for you to post a link.
As easy as it was to post your pointless remark.
-
Answering the question for those who are interested and don't feel it has been covered too often.
For the lack of answers I have to quote from photo.net
The answer really depends on the type of sharpening that you're doing. Personally I perform capture sharpening at 100%, Content/Creative sharpening with the entire image displayed on my 24" monitor, and Output sharpening with the image showing on my screen at the same resolution as it will be printed (usually around 50%).
Photoshop applies quite agressive anti-aliasing at non-exact sizes (eg 33%, 66% etc - it's best to avoid these).
If you're really keen to learn correct sharpening techniques (and get a leg-up on 95% of photographers who think they understand it, but don't), then point your browser at www.amazon.com and grab a copy of Bruce Frasers Real World Image Sharpening.
And this one
I use a 3 pass sharpening myself.
But to answer your question;
1_capture sharpening at 100%, at a bigger % than this i dont see the point and i dont see the *real* result.
2_i do my output sharpening at 100% to start, when i like what i see, i switch to 50% for inkjet print and 25% for magazine print and fine tune what i like from there, then i it OK.
Also as Ronald says, capture sharpening and creative sharpening are made on my PSD, output sharpening is made on a copy of it, at the final size, flatten, then save as in whatever format except PSD.
Before someone ask why i dont save my copy as a PSD, its simply the name convention i use for quick search;
1_PSD = original, layers still active, in progress...
2_TIF = job done, layer flatten, ready to be send to client
3_JPEG = job done, web or email approbation only.
The applying of anti-aliasing that Photoshop does at "uneven" zoom ratios like 33,3% seems to be the answer that I have been looking for.
I quoted from another forum, because it is only fair to post the name of someone you got information from.
If it is against the rules to quote from another forum, the moderators will remove this post anyway.
-
I'm not in Jeff Schewe's fanclub, and don't follow everything he does.
If you are, and know everything he does, it would have been easy for you to post a link.
As easy as it was to post your pointless remark.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Take a chill pill, bubba.
-
Take a chill pill, bubba.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just the kind of reply that was expected from you.
You must be a hell of a guy.
-
You know me so well.
-
rdonson I thought this forum was a place to provide ideas and assitance to those requesting them.
-
rdonson I thought this forum was a place to provide ideas and assitance to those requesting them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It generally is, Jack. Not sure why Robert went off on me when I answered his rhetorical question. It sounds like he has issues with Jeff Schewe.
-
Could it be that this is so unimportant to everyone?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorta. I simply do not trust what I'm being presented with unless it is at 100%. So I judge sharpness at 100% and trust that LR2's output sharpening will do its magic for whatever export size. (And if I'm wrong I usually fix it by adjusting the input sharpening.)
I use to do the 50% thing to judge output sharpening but it was pretty hit and miss.
-
rdonson I thought this forum was a place to provide ideas and assitance to those requesting them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's something of a myth.
-
Well, what the heck, it is an election year on this side of the pond!