Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Les Rudnick on August 26, 2008, 10:04:06 pm

Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: Les Rudnick on August 26, 2008, 10:04:06 pm
If I want to take a few Lightroom files from my external drive to edit in PS3 while traveling what are the steps to copy them to a folder on my desktop?  I do not want to travel with an external drive. If my goal is to edit them and then end up with jpegs for web after editing, should I transfer as raw, work on the files on my desktop and then convert to jpegs?  Lightroom and PS3 are installed on my laptop.  All files now are on my mirrored external drives.
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: John.Murray on August 26, 2008, 10:36:41 pm
You might consider exporting them from LR to your desktop folder.  If you are running Windows, scroll the dialog box *up* to reveal your logged in profile's Desktop at the top:

(http://imagesbymurray.com/ll-images/browse-folders.jpg)

The Lightroom dialog will create a folder off of this if desired, along with your choice of file format, name(s) etc . . .
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: francois on August 27, 2008, 03:08:40 am
Quote
If I want to take a few Lightroom files from my external drive to edit in PS3 while traveling what are the steps to copy them to a folder on my desktop?  I do not want to travel with an external drive. If my goal is to edit them and then end up with jpegs for web after editing, should I transfer as raw, work on the files on my desktop and then convert to jpegs?  Lightroom and PS3 are installed on my laptop.  All files now are on my mirrored external drives.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would simply use LR's Export as Catalog command. Make sure to include "negative files" (your RAW files). When you're done with your trip, you could use the same technique to import your files back on your desktop computer (along with all the edits you've made).
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: Les Rudnick on August 27, 2008, 06:45:59 am
Thanks. I appreciate the help.  Les
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: AdrianL on August 27, 2008, 07:18:14 am
Quote
I would simply use LR's Export as Catalog command. Make sure to include "negative files" (your RAW files). When you're done with your trip, you could use the same technique to import your files back on your desktop computer (along with all the edits you've made).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I found that when I return home and re-import as catalog, the negative files are re-imported as a second copy, whether or not I worked on them.  This adds to the size of my photo file.
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: john beardsworth on August 27, 2008, 08:10:02 am
So don't tick Include Negatives.
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: francois on August 27, 2008, 10:15:49 am
Quote
I found that when I return home and re-import as catalog, the negative files are re-imported as a second copy, whether or not I worked on them.  This adds to the size of my photo file.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just as John suggested above, you must NOT check the include negative files checkbox. Your RAW files are already on your hard drive, so no need to reimport them.
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: AdrianL on August 27, 2008, 10:36:26 am
Quote
Just as John suggested above, you must NOT check the include negative files checkbox. Your RAW files are already on your hard drive, so no need to reimport them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217555\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As always, thank you.  Now things are making sense.  Very powerful function.
Title: copying LR files to desktop
Post by: francois on August 27, 2008, 11:09:44 am
Quote
As always, thank you.  Now things are making sense.  Very powerful function.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=217560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're welcome Adrian