Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Let Biogons be Biogons on August 20, 2008, 11:47:48 am

Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: Let Biogons be Biogons on August 20, 2008, 11:47:48 am
Using the controls in Epson's "Advanced Black and White" (ABW) print driver with a 4800 has anyone come up with a setting (H and V on that circular color wheel) that comes close to mimicking a Selenium tone or platinum print? I am looking for some settings that will give me a good place to start. Thanks.
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: Peter Langham on August 21, 2008, 11:36:03 am
I'm not sure I can give you a direct answer, but it would help to know what paper you are using.  The choice of paper makes a huge difference in the hue of the print.  

Peter
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: Let Biogons be Biogons on August 21, 2008, 12:21:57 pm
Yes, that is quite true.  I guess I was hoping for a ballpark setting that I could teak and adjust for different papers.  I needed a good place to start.  I suppose to some extent, the depth of selenium tone added to traditional print could also vary.

The papers I would probably use, at least for the time being are Innova Fibaprint Semi-Matte, and, I suppose, Epson Premium Luster.

I am assume the "dark" setting is best.   For selenium tone at least, in terms of the "H"and"V" settings on the color wheel, I am assuming that it is somewhere in lower right quadrant to give a slightly purple cast.  I don't have a clue where to start for a platinum tone.

I really appreciate the help.


Quote
The choice of paper makes a huge difference in the hue of the print. 

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216473\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: JohnBrew on August 21, 2008, 09:14:08 pm
Rather than spell it out for you, I would recommend "Advanced Digital Black & White Photography" by John Beardsworth. There is a split-toning technique which is wonderful for selenium toning.
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: Brian Gilkes on August 22, 2008, 01:06:44 am
Use Roy Harringtons Quad Tone RIP.
I have not been able to simulate this with AB&W
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: Let Biogons be Biogons on August 22, 2008, 09:15:13 am
I have QTR but it doesn't  have any profiles for the 4800 with photo black inks -- that is, not for luster/semi-matte/gloss papers.  So I would have to go through the process of creating my own profile to do it.  Unfortunately, I just don't have the time, patience and ancillary equipment necessary to do that properly.  I can appreciate that ABW won't get it quite right -- it doesn't have to be right, for this purpose, just an reasonable approximation.



Quote
Use Roy Harringtons Quad Tone RIP.
I have not been able to simulate this with AB&W
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216605\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]



Oh no, not another book.  I have enough books and buying yet another one just for one little hint, isn't really worthwhile for current purposes (not to mention another week to get it delivered).    I also have plug-ins that will give an image a selenium tone, which you then just print as a color image (like you would a duotone).   I can also attempt to do it manually in PS, but he plug-in is faster.  However, trying to get a reasonable tone with ABW would be easier still, produce blacker blacks, and use fewer color inks than printing a B&W image as a color image with the Epson driver.   ABW does do a better job with B&W generally than printing it as a color image.  I'm just looking for 2 numbers -- the "H" and "V" values that might give me a start on a selenium tone and a platinum tone with ABW -- hopefully to save a fair bit of unnecessary trial and error printing and time.  Thanks.



Quote
Rather than spell it out for you, I would recommend "Advanced Digital Black & White Photography" by John Beardsworth. There is a split-toning technique which is wonderful for selenium toning.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: tgphoto on August 22, 2008, 12:28:46 pm
Are you looking for a more dilute tone (red-brown) or stronger concentration (purple-brown)?

Paul Butzi made some nice conversions of Denny Wagner's Tonal Curves which you can download off his website:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/toning.htm (http://www.butzi.net/articles/toning.htm)
Title: Approximating Selenium or PT tone from Epson ABW?
Post by: donbga on May 04, 2010, 08:27:47 am
Quote from: tgphoto
Are you looking for a more dilute tone (red-brown) or stronger concentration (purple-brown)?

Paul Butzi made some nice conversions of Denny Wagner's Tonal Curves which you can download off his website:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/toning.htm (http://www.butzi.net/articles/toning.htm)
Not any longer. This link is dead.

Don