Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on August 13, 2008, 11:12:13 am
-
It´s one thing to make nice pictures, but it´s quite another to post monitor challenging material that causes great consternation in the breast of the lesser confident!
A ploy to increase the sales of calibration devices?
Rob C
-
Looks good on my screen.
Seriously though, this is one of the dirty little secrets of photography on the web – a lot of image simply look like crap when they're reduced in size to 800 pixels, reduced in gamut to sRGB, and otherwise massaged for the web.
I used to not post images which were likely to be problematic for viewers. Now I figure that its the viewer's problem, not mine.
And, as for people that try and judge camera IQ based on small web images, well, the less said the better.
Michael
-
Looks great to me!
-
A ploy to increase the sales of calibration devices?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, a good way to show people what they actually need.
-
Umm.. before we go ape, this WAS meant to be tongue-in-cheek on my part. Maybe I should have employed one of those horrid little faces to labour the point. That said, I admit that monitors should be calibrated and I have no doubts that the image looks good on Michael´s screen- he would hardly have published it otherwise!
Rob C
-
Seriously though, this is one of the dirty little secrets of photography on the web – a lot of image simply look like crap when they're reduced in size to 800 pixels, reduced in gamut to sRGB, and otherwise massaged for the web.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oh, THAT's a relief!!! I thought it was just that my photographs were plain crap. Now I know it's the web's fault. Phew.
-
It´s one thing to make nice pictures, but it´s quite another to post monitor challenging material that causes great consternation in the breast of the lesser confident!
A ploy to increase the sales of calibration devices?
Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
LOL---I just looked at it with my laptop monitor (I had looked at it with my calibrated monitof I use for photographic processsing). By george, it does look like crap (I am using Adobe gamma for it because my old Monaco Optic XRe doesn't appear to have a driver). I've tried others workarounds, etc.--so I just need to decide whether its worth it to buy a new calibrator just because of the laptop Vista OS or just (as I do now LOL) view images on the calbirated mornitor and continue just to use the laptop just for web browsing and email.
Diane
-
LOL---I just looked at it with my laptop monitor (I had looked at it with my calibrated monitof I use for photographic processsing). By george, it does look like crap (I am using Adobe gamma for it because my old Monaco Optic XRe doesn't appear to have a driver). I've tried others workarounds, etc.--so I just need to decide whether its worth it to buy a new calibrator just because of the laptop Vista OS or just (as I do now LOL) view images on the calbirated mornitor and continue just to use the laptop just for web browsing and email.
Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hey, nice to see one of the girls back again - wish there was more input from all of you.
Rob C
-
Michael, have you changed/tweaked anything about the picture? I have done nothing to my screen, but I seem to see more detail in the framework of the shot...
Rob C
-
Nope.
Michael
-
LOL---I just looked at it with my laptop monitor (I had looked at it with my calibrated monitof I use for photographic processsing). By george, it does look like crap (I am using Adobe gamma for it because my old Monaco Optic XRe doesn't appear to have a driver). I've tried others workarounds, etc.--so I just need to decide whether its worth it to buy a new calibrator just because of the laptop Vista OS or just (as I do now LOL) view images on the calbirated mornitor and continue just to use the laptop just for web browsing and email.
Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm running vista and using the Monaco XR Pro. I'll see I can find the driver that I got from the Monaco site for this. The other alternative is to get ColorEyes.
-
Nope.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That´s worrying: I have been seeing a sort of wavey pattern happening sporadically towards the bottom of my monitor - a venerable Diamondtron - and I hope it isn´t a warning of things to come. Whilst I still have a monitor, do you have any personal suggestions for a non-CRT type, good enough for image working, that´s about 15 inches wide and not over about a grand ($)? This thing I have is great, if it lasts, but it forces me to sit sideways to the bench and that gets pretty damn uncomfortable. I need something flat to hang up on the wall in front of me. No, not a picture, in case anyone is tempted, a screen.
I know there´s a wealth of material written up about these things, just wondered if you could name something off the cuff.
Rob C
-
but it forces me to sit sideways to the bench and that gets pretty damn uncomfortable.
Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is the best sentence I have read on this forum in the last 5 weeks.
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00789/park-bench-460_789523c.jpg)
-
That is the best sentence I have read on this forum in the last 5 weeks.
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00789/park-bench-460_789523c.jpg)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Glad to be of help!
Rob C
-
That´s worrying: I have been seeing a sort of wavey pattern ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Something seems to be wrong with the IQ here, even for a small jpg.
8x8 blotches are quite pronounced – measurably and visibly (for me).
Peter
--