Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: pennimages on August 13, 2008, 09:45:19 am
-
Hello,
Forgive me fo double posting, I didn't see this forum dedicated to MF digital backs only.
I am thinking of buying a P30+ OR A P45+ and need to know what do someone do
about, for example, spare batteries? I heard that spare batteries are actually SONY batteries that are used in some digital cameras/camcorders?
Dos anyone know which type are they (I know sony has dozens of different battery types, very confusing). I know they should be 7.2v/2500MAh, byt that's all?
What are your experiences in using third party or Sony brand batteries in PhaseOne backs? Any precautions? How many should I have on me to get me through a day's shoot, some 1500 frames. I know from reviews online that actual shots-per charge are much lower than what PhaseOne claims..
Too many questions...? Sorry, just want to be sure.
Regards
pennimages
-
The batteries that currently come with a new P30+ or P45+ are a BP-911/914/915 and are 7.2V/ Li-ion 2500 mAh. You can find Canon replacement batteries if you like, but usually recommend getting the 2500 mAh that Phase One dealers carry. If you get a lowere mAh battery you will just get less battery life.
If you purchase a P30+ or P45+ with a three year Value Added warranty you will get two batteries with the DB.
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year (http://www.captureintegration.com)
877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell
Sign up for our Newsletter (http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101868815210&p=oi) | Read Our Latest Newsletter (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Hello,
Forgive me fo double posting, I didn't see this forum dedicated to MF digital backs only.
I am thinking of buying a P30+ OR A P45+ and need to know what do someone do
about, for example, spare batteries? I heard that spare batteries are actually SONY batteries that are used in some digital cameras/camcorders?
Dos anyone know which type are they (I know sony has dozens of different battery types, very confusing). I know they should be 7.2v/2500MAh, byt that's all?
What are your experiences in using third party or Sony brand batteries in PhaseOne backs? Any precautions? How many should I have on me to get me through a day's shoot, some 1500 frames. I know from reviews online that actual shots-per charge are much lower than what PhaseOne claims..
Too many questions...? Sorry, just want to be sure.
Regards
pennimages
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Post Removed: redundant information from Chris' post.
-
Chris i did have the Canon ones and you are correct they just simply don't last as long. So i did buy some off brand called Impact at B&H and they do work better since they have a much higher 2200 mAh. Not as good as the Phase one batteries since they are 2500 mAh but there cheap and serve as a good backup. I have 3 Phase ones and 2 Impacts. There model number in case someone needs them to recommend is IMBP915 but I agree the Phase ones are the better of the three.
I think 5 batteries is overkill since i have yet to get past three in a whole day of shooting but something you just don't need is to run out. Paranoid maybe
-
a day's shoot, some 1500 frames.
I haven't kept good records on shots per charge, but I'd guess that you shouldn't expect much more than 250 shots per charge with the Phase One batteries (maybe even less). They seem to go down very fast. This is using auto-preview and short shutter latency.
I've changed a couple of settings lately that I hope will improve this. First, I turned off auto-preview. Second, I now have the preview auto-off set to 5 seconds. And I now have the shutter latency set to "long". All these things should reduce battery drain, but so far it's too soon to tell.
-
Chris,
Thank you very much for your reply. This makes me thinking,... there are other, THICKER batteries tha have the same contacts and footprint. Wold they fit and give me more shots?.
For instance, BP-945 (6000MAh), or BP-930 (3800MAh).
Thanks again!
pennimages
The batteries that currently come with a new P30+ or P45+ are a BP-911/914/915 and are 7.2V/ Li-ion 2500 mAh. You can find Canon replacement batteries if you like, but usually recommend getting the 2500 mAh that Phase One dealers carry. If you get a lowere mAh battery you will just get less battery life.
If you purchase a P30+ or P45+ with a three year Value Added warranty you will get two batteries with the DB.
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year (http://www.captureintegration.com)
877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell
Sign up for our Newsletter (http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101868815210&p=oi) | Read Our Latest Newsletter (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Chris i did have the Canon ones and you are correct they just simply don't last as long. So i did buy some off brand called Impact at B&H and they do work better since they have a much higher 2200 mAh. Not as good as the Phase one batteries since they are 2500 mAh but there cheap and serve as a good backup. I have 3 Phase ones and 2 Impacts. There model number in case someone needs them to recommend is IMBP915 but I agree the Phase ones are the better of the three.
I think 5 batteries is overkill since i have yet to get past three in a whole day of shooting but something you just don't need is to run out. Paranoid maybe
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=214776\")
The Phase One batteries are $70.00 each plus any applicable taxes and shipping. We have several in stock.
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]
877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell
Sign up for our Newsletter (http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101868815210&p=oi) | Read Our Latest Newsletter (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
-
The question of batteries seem to keep popping up now and again. I just checked and saw the last time a similar question was asked was July 19th (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26664) My response then is the same as now... and why skimp on a part that isn't 1% of the total cost of the back?
The thicker batteries will not work as they are thicker thus will not fit inside the compartment.
I have 4 batteries (all bought from my dealer) and I have never had an issue even shooting in the dead of winter with snow falling on the ground and very cold; I kept a spare battery in an inside pocket and found that I wore out before the battery did. In all the time I've shot I have never had to worry about battery life, that said I always carry a spare with me when I'm out shooting.
Do yourself a favor and buy spare batteries directly from your dealer.
don
-
Chris,
Thank you very much for your reply. This makes me thinking,... there are other, THICKER batteries tha have the same contacts and footprint. Wold they fit and give me more shots?.
For instance, BP-945 (6000MAh), or BP-930 (3800MAh).
Thanks again!
pennimages
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=214806\")
Phase One DBs have a specific size requirement with their batteries. You'll notice that the battery on the image below is contoured to the DB. You can not fit a thicker battery in this slot.
[attachment=7911:attachment]
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]
877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell
Sign up for our Newsletter (http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101868815210&p=oi) | Read Our Latest Newsletter (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
-
Chris,
Thank you very much for your reply. This makes me thinking,... there are other, THICKER batteries tha have the same contacts and footprint. Wold they fit and give me more shots?.
For instance, BP-945 (6000MAh), or BP-930 (3800MAh).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No they absolutely do NOT fit - dont waste your money or time. Phase have designed a small lip into the backs that means the thicker ones wont go in,and you have to buy theirs...
I have some thick ones here that you can buy from me if you dont believe it and want to try for yourself!