Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Chris C on August 11, 2008, 01:13:40 am
-
Does anyone know, categorically, if the 24-60mm f/2.0–2.8 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMICRON lens used on the new Panasonic LX3 is really made by Leica, or did Leica just license Panasonic to use their name on someone else's lens? I've been hearing rumours it's the latter!
-
No comments? Hmmmmm! Guess it's true!
-
No comments? Hmmmmm! Guess it's true!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What?!?
-
Well...I'm sure as sure can be..if it is "leica", it is not the "leica" of old. Same goes for "carl zeiss", "kreuznach Schneider" or any of the lens companies partnered with consumer electronics giants. Those lens companies had Lens plants in Germany as well as other places (singapore for example) to produce lenses. I don't think the lenses of these modern consumer cameras would be produced in the same way. It is probably more the design. or specifications...but like anything could be made anywhere by anyone but still be "made" by Leica.
I mean, think about it...what do you actually mean "made by leica"? If panasonic licenses Leica and they own the plant in Indonesia(or whatever) that make them..then YES, they are made by Leica.
Is like anything...there's made in Japan Sony, and made in Timbuktu Sony.
-
Okay, that's a fair statement. Guess it just boils down to "things jus ain't like they usta be!"
-
If I remember the LX2 had a leica lens too but it didn't perform too well in tests on dpreview.
-
If I remember the LX2 had a leica lens too but it didn't perform too well in tests on dpreview.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
From what I'm seeing, the lens is doing well. I would just like to hear from someone who has more than a "guess" as to whether Leica manufacturered it or just designed and sold the rights to manufacture it. For a P&S camera, I think it's pretty impressive at this point. Jury is still out, though, as no-one really has one to work with.