Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: NikoJorj on August 05, 2008, 05:21:24 am

Title: Micro Four-Thirds
Post by: NikoJorj on August 05, 2008, 05:21:24 am
I found this announcement interesting :
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501...ofourthirds.asp (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp)

I wouldn't want to ignite an as massive as mundane speculation fire, just to let you know* : the 4/3 group seems decided to take better advantage of compactness with their smaller sensor. Seems like good news at first.

That could eventually lead to something eventually not so far of some DMD fancies (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/DMD.shtml)? Burn candles, recite surahs and make the prayer mills spin   .

NB another link (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2007/06/the_state_of_th.html) to Mike Johnston's ideas about this, linking Thom Hogan's ones too.

2nd edit : another thread (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27067) has been started in the next section, no need to answer to this one I think.
"Shooting gear" or "Digital cameras"???    
Title: Micro Four-Thirds
Post by: Moynihan on August 05, 2008, 04:25:58 pm
When i read the announcement this a.m., I must say i had similar thoughts.

Will the 4/3 folks give us something akin to the DP1 without all the warts?

Could there be a EVF camera with decent optics and a bigger type sensor, that handles like "a rangefinder", so to speak? (i.e., a G9 without the warts).

Or, will they take their existing P&S  ergonomics, or lack thereof, and slap the bigger sensor in?

I also hope the glass is good.

Will be interesting to see.