Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: lightstand on August 02, 2008, 06:26:46 pm

Title: aligning layers?
Post by: lightstand on August 02, 2008, 06:26:46 pm
I shot an image of a building bracketing with the idea that I would blend the different exposures of the windows & sky. I have no problem doing this manually and am not asking an hdr question.

My question is that I must of either left the auto focus on or bumped the tripod ever so slightly. I thought there was a way in PS cs 3 to snap layers or align layers. I have tried to use the align layers under the layers menu and photomerge with no luck.

Can anyone offer advice or insights how to align layers to snap my building in line with the other exposures? Please. Thanks jeff
Title: aligning layers?
Post by: Aboud on August 02, 2008, 09:25:20 pm
Quote
I shot an image of a building bracketing with the idea that I would blend the different exposures of the windows & sky. I have no problem doing this manually and am not asking an hdr question.

My question is that I must of either left the auto focus on or bumped the tripod ever so slightly. I thought there was a way in PS cs 3 to snap layers or align layers. I have tried to use the align layers under the layers menu and photomerge with no luck.

Can anyone offer advice or insights how to align layers to snap my building in line with the other exposures? Please. Thanks jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have changed your perspective slightly, so auto-alignment will not work. Open a new window twice the size of the other, move both photos in on two layers, then manually align the image using the "difference" dialog in layers. It won't be perfect, but you may get close.
Title: aligning layers?
Post by: Kirk Gittings on August 03, 2008, 12:03:11 am
See: Auto Align Layers (http://noolmusic.com/videos/photoshop_cs3_beta_-_auto_align_layers.php)

Quote
I shot an image of a building bracketing with the idea that I would blend the different exposures of the windows & sky. I have no problem doing this manually and am not asking an hdr question.

My question is that I must of either left the auto focus on or bumped the tripod ever so slightly. I thought there was a way in PS cs 3 to snap layers or align layers. I have tried to use the align layers under the layers menu and photomerge with no luck.

Can anyone offer advice or insights how to align layers to snap my building in line with the other exposures? Please. Thanks jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: aligning layers?
Post by: lightstand on August 03, 2008, 07:05:19 am
Thanks all for the responses, yes after trying many different options it looks like I will have to do this manually. The auto-align just creates too much distortion for my taste. If you notice in the video watch how the table changes shape ever so slightily but still it changes shape.

Again thanks for the help. jeff
Title: aligning layers?
Post by: usathyan on August 04, 2008, 09:37:51 am
Quote
I shot an image of a building bracketing with the idea that I would blend the different exposures of the windows & sky. I have no problem doing this manually and am not asking an hdr question.

My question is that I must of either left the auto focus on or bumped the tripod ever so slightly. I thought there was a way in PS cs 3 to snap layers or align layers. I have tried to use the align layers under the layers menu and photomerge with no luck.

Can anyone offer advice or insights how to align layers to snap my building in line with the other exposures? Please. Thanks jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


If you have PTGui, you can do alignment via control points. I have had good luck doing this for hand held HDR shots. You can also adjust control points on select layers as well...i typically set control points between Plus to Zero and Minus to Zero. No control points between Plus and Minus.