Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: John Schweikert on July 23, 2008, 03:21:17 pm

Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: John Schweikert on July 23, 2008, 03:21:17 pm
---
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: wolfnowl on July 23, 2008, 03:35:17 pm
John:

Is the image you showed here a cropped version?  Because in 1.4 if you applied those settings (-100/0) to a whole image you'd have results similar to what you've shown in your second example.  If you back off the amounts in your 'post crop' sliders you should have no problems recreating the 'look' of your first example.
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: Schewe on July 23, 2008, 05:16:13 pm
Quote
I know the beta is not complete, but this seems quite obvious and I am willing to bet no one will even notice this and the full version of 2 will be the same.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Yes, the beta is incomplete...and no, the final release will not be the same as the beta...quit worrying about it.
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: HickersonJasonC on July 31, 2008, 04:29:29 pm
agreed, the new post-crop vignette desaturates colors heavily and simply looks amateurish compared to the original. no amount of fiddling with any with the image after post-crop vignette is applied makes it looks as good as the original.

i guess i'll keep using PS for vignetting, too. it amazes me that a feature that was touted as such a  major improvement over LR 1 works so poorly. i will definitely NOT be buying the "upgrade."
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: DarkPenguin on August 01, 2008, 11:23:34 am
Can you post examples that aren't at full effect?

Most of what I've been playing with is fine with the post crop effect.
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: HickersonJasonC on August 01, 2008, 03:28:31 pm
difficulty attaching files - post temporarily removed.
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: HickersonJasonC on August 01, 2008, 03:46:09 pm
Quote
Can you post examples that aren't at full effect?

Most of what I've been playing with is fine with the post crop effect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll try to illustrate the problem in this way:

First two screenshots attached are a neutral gray wall shot as a reference in order to find the settings for pre- and post-crop vignettes that would give the same effect. As you can see, I was unable to get an exact match, even disregarding color, though it's close.

[attachment=7742:attachment][attachment=7743:attachment]

Screenshots 3-4 (house and mountain scene in DNG format) show the images after the pre- and post-crop vignettes are applied (synced from first two images). Notice the effect is drastically different in both cases.

[attachment=7744:attachment][attachment=7745:attachment]

Screenshots 5-6 show the same image after I attempted to equalize the histogram using Exposure and Brightness. Notice that in the post-crop vignetted image, I was unable to equalize the histogram without trashing all information in the sky. Therefore, this image is significantly darker than the pre-crop version. Also, the colors and contrast are weak in the post-crop version.

[attachment=7746:attachment][attachment=7747:attachment]

Screenshots 7-9 show a different image (this time a TIFF) with the same results. I was able to equalize the histogram this time, but colors and contrast still suffer.

[attachment=7748:attachment][attachment=7749:attachment][attachment=7750:attachm
ent][attachment=7751:attachment]

Like I said before, I've tried fiddling with contrast, curves, saturation, etc. to make the post-crop images look similar to the pre-crop versions without luck. Now, I'm no expert, but it's obvious to me that the post-crop vignette does not function in the same way as the pre-crop version. This may have been the plan all along, but in my opinion, it's far inferior to the original.

I'm at a loss to understand why Adobe would add the post-crop feature at all instead of simply altering the original "lens correction" vignette tool to work on cropped images. Like the last version of PS, LR just got bigger but not much better, meaning that many photographers, myself included, must still use both overpriced apps to do one thing.
Title: LR Beta 2 post-crop vingette
Post by: DarkPenguin on August 01, 2008, 03:50:09 pm
Thank you.  I understand what you're seeing and why I wasn't noticing it in the images I was playing with.  (Well, I was, but it was fine for what I was doing.)